Undrafted Free Agents 2023

gopherwrestler

That no team selected Carter surprised Nagy, even if Nagy understands the concerns.

“He needs to continue to add bulk and strength,” he said.

Carter’s draft arc is interesting in that a year ago some analysts projected Carter to be picked in the early rounds. At the time, Carter was emerging from a 2021 season at Army in which he recorded 14 1/2 sacks.

His ability to make an impact on special teams could help secure a roster spot while he attempts to enhance his frame with the team’s performance staff. This is another bet on the Vikings’ ability to develop players, which head coach Kevin O’Connell has frequently emphasized in recent months.

https://theathletic.com/4478497/2023/05/02/vikings-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-nagy/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 1

Comparisons are fraught with issues, but when Nagy thinks about Pace, he drifts back to his area scouting days with the New England Patriots.

“I see a little bit of Tedy Bruschi,” Nagy said, “because Tedy played an unorthodox game, too.”

Nagy was referring to Pace’s ability to rush the passer despite his size. That characteristic was one reason the Senior Bowl invited him to partake in the festivities, and Pace did not disappoint. During the week, linebackers matched up one-on-one with running backs in pass-rush situations.

“I don’t know if we had a running back lay a hand on him,” Nagy said. “He has really good short-area quickness.”

https://theathletic.com/4478497/2023/05/02/vikings-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-nagy/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 1

NC State WR Thayer Thomas

Thayer Thomas joined the NC State football team as a priority walk-on, but it didn’t take long for him to earn a full-ride scholarship. After just one season on the roster, Thomas earned a scholarship and quickly became a rotational wide receiver. Last season, Thomas hauled in a career-high 642 yards and added four touchdowns. Thomas also returned punts throughout his career, even returning one for a touchdown in 2019.

Thomas lacks an imposing physical profile, but his special teams’ experience could help him earn a role on the Vikings roster. After that, Thomas will have to rely on his steady hands and vision to find a spot inside the offense.

Kansas State WR Malik Knowles

Malik Knowles was a two-sport athlete in high school, playing football and running track and field. In 2015, Knowles set a personal best of 12.70 seconds in the 100-meter dash.

Knowles committed to Kansas State for football and showcased his value on offense and special teams. As a redshirt freshman, Knowles returned a kick for a 100-yard touchdown against Mississippi State. In his final season, Knowles earned All-Big 12 Second Team honors, catching 48 passes for 725 and two touchdowns. He also returned 23 kickoffs for 592 yards.

Knowles has great size for the wide receiver position but will likely need to earn his roster spot via special teams. On offense, Knowles has the upside to be a vertical threat on the outside, where he can use his athleticism and explosion to create advantageous matchups.

Southeastern Louisiana WR Cephus Johnson

Cephus Johnson began his career at South Alabama as a quarterback, throwing for 900 yards and five touchdowns as a sophomore. Johnson then transferred to Southeastern Louisiana, where he played wide receiver and quarterback. Last season, Johnson threw for 1,354 yards and ten touchdowns while also rushing for five scores.

Johnson is transitioning to wide receiver in the NFL, but the Vikings may attempt to give him a hybrid role. At 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, Johnson has the size to transition to wide receiver, but that transition is never guaranteed to work.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/breaking-down-the-vikings-udfa-signings/?itm_source=parsely-api

Calvin Avery is a former four-star prospect and Under Armour All-American who committed to Illinois over 24 other programs that offered him.

While at Illinois, Avery struggled with his weight, which limited him to a rotational role early on. However, after Illinois coaches told him that he would have to stay with strength and conditioning coach Tank Wright to lose weight, Avery lost 30 pounds and became a regular contributor.

Avery won’t shatter the box scores with his production, but he is a typical 0-tech inside a defense. Avery uses his weight and strength to control multiple gaps, which allows other players along the defensive line to make plays. Often overshadowed and overlooked, players like Avery are critical in helping a defense run.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/breaking-down-the-vikings-udfa-signings/?itm_source=parsely-api

• Like 3

Alan Ali began his career at SMU under current TCU head coach Sonny Dykes. While with the Mustangs, Ali started 43 games over four seasons and three different positions, including both tackle spots. After Dykes took the TCU head coaching job, Ali entered the transfer portal to follow Dykes. Ali started all 15 games at center for TCU and played 1,017 snaps. After the season, he was named to the All-Big 12 First Team.

The Vikings are likely betting on experience here, which is never a bad bet. The offensive line is one of those spots where experience makes all of the difference.

Ali lacks the prototypical size coaches want from their interior offensive linemen, but his experience shows off on the tape. He understands how and when to climb to the next level and knows where to put his hands to make the most impact. 

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Well this is how highly the Vikings thought of Andre carter, sheesh!! 

I had the Vikings drafting him at various times in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds and OLB is one of the positions I think was a dire need, so it shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.  If they believe he can make the roster, it wouldn't shock me to see him kept instead of a guy like Wonnum, who hasn't developed as much as I thought he would.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I had the Vikings drafting him at various times in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds and OLB is one of the positions I think was a dire need, so it shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.  If they believe he can make the roster, it wouldn't shock me to see him kept instead of a guy like Wonnum, who hasn't developed as much as I thought he would.

I think you're underrating Wonnum. He's actually developed into a very good player. It would likely be over PJII if they only keep 4 OLB. 2 years ago Wonnum had some pretty good looking sack numbers but abysmal pressure and win rates - mostly coverage sacks. Last year he was stout at the point of attack and was good in the run game on top of being able to generate better pressure. He carved out a nice role and definitely seems better suited to the 3-4.

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

wouldnt shock me either with Wonnum in the last year of his deal. The thing with Carter is that the Vikings are betting on their strength and conditioning program to get him bigger and stronger. At Army and being an Army Cadet first and football player second, was not conducive to putting on and sustaining strength and weight.

He had amazing production in 2021, amazing length and condor-esque wing span, and showed elite agility testing numbers. There is a lot to work with if you can just get the strength and weight up!

Edited by battle2heaven

Wonnum being in the last year of his deal would be another reason to keep him. If he performs well in a back up role again he'd set himself up for a nice pay day and probably figure into the comp pick formula.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think you're underrating Wonnum. He's actually developed into a very good player. It would likely be over PJII if they only keep 4 OLB. 2 years ago Wonnum had some pretty good looking sack numbers but abysmal pressure and win rates - mostly coverage sacks. Last year he was stout at the point of attack and was good in the run game on top of being able to generate better pressure. He carved out a nice role and definitely seems better suited to the 3-4.

I personally disagree.  I think Jones has far more potential in the 3-4 with his first step than Wonnum.  Wonnum is just a guy at this point.