Undrafted Free Agents 2023

gopherwrestler

Pace was supposed to be drafted anywhere from Round 3 to 5 over the weekend, but NFL general managers were evidently turned off by his size — Pace is about two inches shorter than a normal off-ball linebacker.

Expressing bewilderment about teams not signing on his dotted line until after the draft, Pace posted to Instagram a picture of himself with the Vikings logo and a caption for the rest of the world, “Y’all done f-cked up.”

At 5’10” and 230 pounds, The Draft Network‘s Brentley Weissman described Pace as "a heat-seeking missile who has a nose for the football. Pace aligns in the middle of the Bearcats’ defense and appears to be the one making the calls. He has outstanding instincts for the position and seems to know where the ball is going every single play.”

“He is able to use those instincts as well as his explosive burst and short-area quickness to shoot behind the line of scrimmage and make tackles for loss. He has above-average range sideline to sideline and flashes as a tackler. While Pace offers exciting playmaking ability as a run defender due to his ability to shoot gaps and deliver hard hits, he lacks the length and mass to consistently fight off blocks in the box,” 

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/new-defender?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Pace and Carter are here, possibly because we did not address ED, nor LB in the draft, but it’s a fair positional need nonetheless. 

well of course. they are going to sign in the best spots where they think they can make the team. a team that didnt draft an edge or a LB are perfect spots for them to try and compete at.

that said, they were 2 of the top ranked UDFAs out there; so there is still a very competitive market for them. Vikings would have had to pony up the cash offer and lean in on

1. depth chart

2. culture

3. player facilities

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 7:24 PM, solidvikingfan said:

That is the quickest I have ever remembered seeing the Vikings announcing their undrafted signings officially.

That's what happens when you have a lot of time in between picks and have a lot of time left over after their last pick.

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i didn't notice at first that Kwesi double dipped from another school too, and at the same position.

Remember when Spiels was doing that early in his tenure and people were making fun of him for it?

• Like 1

Carter and Austin were on my wishlist so I'm happy the Vikings got them. However, Pace is the one I'm most excited about. He blitzing and is comfortable around large OL. Austin probably needs to lose around 10 to 15 pounds to best shape as a NT. This team needed an NT tired of being so light up the middle and LBs can't roam free.

22 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think Avery could make the team. Very reminiscent of Tonga, actually. A true 2-gap NT with awesome strength and good tape. Good explosion numbers, too.

If I had to bet on 1 UDFA to make the team, it would be Avery for me. 

• Like 2

Pretty impressive dude, and explains his combine testing, dude could of tested way better but obviously has more obligations than basically any other NFL draft prospect much less a lack of high level football athletic training.  He could be physically transformed with a NFL strength staff.  Amazing than the Vikings got him and shocking he went undrafted, maybe teams were scared that he would have to full fill his service and they would change it again and not make an exception for him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Pretty impressive dude, and explains his combine testing, dude could of tested way better but obviously has more obligations than basically any other NFL draft prospect much less a lack of high level football athletic training.  He could be physically transformed with a NFL strength staff.  Amazing than the Vikings got him and shocking he went undrafted, maybe teams were scared that he would have to full fill his service and they would change it again and not make an exception for him.  

I think the Vikings can hide him on the ps for at least a year. Every team knows he needs to add nfl strength, like a lot of it. He knows that. He probably chose the Vikings because of the families and amazing strength and conditioning program they have. It was probably discussed this is the best place for him to get bigger and stronger. 

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. currently has Andre Carter II graded as his second outside linebacker — behind only Anderson — and his 22nd-ranked player overall. Said the longtime draft analyst of Carter: “His wingspan is incredible. His length is his strength. He’s lean. He’s smart. When you watch his tape, it’s like you’re rewinding and watching the same play over and over because he’s that consistent. Because of that, I think he will be able to step into any defensive scheme and make an impact.”

https://www.sbnation.com/2022/12/17/23513574/army-andre-carter-nfl-draft-congress

Scouting director for AFC team, on Andre Carter II: “You won’t even recognize him in three years with how much his body will change when he’s on an NFL team. He’s going to be a lot thicker and stronger than what you see on tape right now.” 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andre-carter-ii/32004341-5278-7212-1841-9ebe43127662