Undrafted Free Agents 2023

gopherwrestler

Knowles caught 10 passes for 100 yards and scored two touchdowns as a true freshman before redshirting the season. He had 27 receptions for 397 yards and three touchdowns and also returned six kickoffs for 222 yards and one touchdown during his redshirt freshman season. Knowles finished his redshirt sophomore season with 13 receptions for 204 yards and three touchdowns, 100 rushing yards and one touchdown on six carries, and 11 kickoffs returned for 203 yards. He caught 29 passes for 441 yards and four touchdowns and was named first team All-Big 12 Conference as a returner after returning 20 kickoffs for 662 yards and two touchdowns. Knowles was named second team All-Big 12 as a receiving after catching 48 passes for 725 yards and two touchdowns and returned 23 kickoffs for 592 yards during his redshirt senior season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Knowles

27.98 kickoff return average.

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think it was a combination of all those factors.

two of the biggest gets were an ILB in pace, and an edge rusher in carter. Vikings did not draft either of those positions. so

A. Opportunity

B. Money

C. Team Facilities, Strength/Condition/Nutrition Program, Culture

did any of our UDFA's visit prior to the Draft? did we have prior communications with them?

What kind of commitments does Carter have? Is he clear to pay on the NFL and then serve in the army or whatever he has to do?

I wonder if they didn't feel as confident going after the top UDFAs last year since they probably didn't have a much time to do a deep dive on the later prospects with having thx shortened off season

30 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think it was a combination of all those factors.

two of the biggest gets were an ILB in pace, and an edge rusher in carter. Vikings did not draft either of those positions. so

A. Opportunity

B. Money

C. Team Facilities, Strength/Condition/Nutrition Program, Culture

Agreed.  I think the opportunity is far and away the biggest factor for UDFAs today, because they have limited shots to make a squad and while the money is nice, it's short-lived.  It's especially important now with just having a single cut-date.  They want the opportunity to make an impact, potentially even to just make a practice squad, and if there's a lot of depth on a particular roster, they won't likely get that shot.  Clearly the Vikings have depth issues at both edge and ILB, so their best opportunity to make a roster is likely here. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 11:48 AM, vike daddy said:

do we have a list of who attended the Vikings' 30 player visits?

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-nfl-draft-top-30-quentin-johnston-jordan-addison-john-michael-schmitz/

Addison, Blackmon, McBride, and Avery all had top 30 visits per the linked article.

So 3 of 6 draft picks and 1 of 15 UDFA's.

Edited by VikeManDan
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 8:47 AM, JDBrocks said:

😳

That is one amazing hit, Pace Jr is so solid and well built, I would be very surprised if he is not starting at some point this year and if not that he will play a lot.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 8:50 AM, battle2heaven said:

Cavin Avery is nice

Avery throwing Tippman away

splits the double team

JMS is tossed like a rag doll lol

The guy never stood out to me, Newton was the one I was impressed with on that DL, same with Randolph who will be drafted next year.  But these clips he is a solid dude, and Vikings need another legit NT option, if Roy is not that maybe this kid will be.  They need it for sure, but I liked Jordon Scott and he never panned out and he showed more in college than Avery here.  

Still with Scott, look at that tree trunk torso and legs, stinks he never panned out.  

Scott_STAN18_EE.JPG

Funny Avery moving Tippman, I was never impressed with him on Wisconsin and on draft day was funny when they said he was on the ground so much at Wisconsin from being knocked over.  It is an insult Tippman was picked over Schmitz, but Schmitz will be starting on the Giants and Tippman sitting on the bench to start the year so.... Prime example here on the ground in that clip, and odd the Jets picked him up with resigning McGovern and signing Schweitzer who has center and OG experience.  Unless they think Tippman will be a guard or tackle, maybe he should based on how much he got pushed over at center.  

On 5/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, battle2heaven said:

FYI, Malik Knowles is very cordarrelle patterson-esque in his movement skills. Explosive playmaker with the ball in his hands and was a legit big play kick off returner for kansas st; 27.7 avg with 3tds in his college career.

He's only 22 and was injured during the pre draft process. If the Vikings think he can take over the KR position AND have some upside in receiver development, Kene becomes expendable.

The dude underachieved at Kansas State and never took his game to the next level, but for sure in the return game and after the catch he has rare ability in the open field, especially for a taller WR.  Dude has potential no question.

• Like 1

Gold and Silver for the Vikings

For whatever it’s worth, though, PFF recently tossed a gold and silver medal toward the Vikings for their work in undrafted free agency. Kwesi Adofo-Mensah made at least a couple notable moves following the NFL Draft.

Fairly surprisingly, the Vikings didn’t draft a single linebacker or edge rusher. Given Minnesota’s thoroughly underwhelming defensive effort in 2022, completely overlooking these positions came as a surprise. Nevertheless, the team clearly wanted to beef up those spots. Adofo-Mensah was able to land linebacker Ivan Pace Jr. and EDGE Andre Carter II.

PFF had these guys as the highest two players remaining on their draft board. In a sense, then, Minnesota agreed to deals with the first and second best UDFAs (at least from the PFF perspective).

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/opinion/gold-and-silver-vikings/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook