The 2023 Vikings' Draft Class

vike daddy

15 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

This is the first time in years I can say we probably have 6 players in this draft that should probably make some sort of an impact in year 1 as a rookie. Not sure if it’s the lack of depth, or they actually went after positions of need. 

Addison should get significant time as basically a starter along side JJ and Osborn. 

Blackman will see time and will compete for the #2 CB job with Evans and Booth. 

Ward can play every spot in the defensive back spot in this defense, along with probably being one of the top tier special team guys. 

Roy instantly is good enough to be a rotational defensive lineman in this defense. 

hopefully Hall never sees the field this year. 

McBride probably is the best running back on the team if Cook ends up departing. Splitting time with Mattison. 

Even probably got a couple guys on the UDFA market that slipped thru and could come in and play some this year or at least make the roster.

I am okay with the picks, but you seem to be really optimistic. I will wait until games are played before I get to excited. I have been a Vikings fan since 1968, and have learned that nothing is won in the off season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

McBride probably is the best running back on the team if Cook ends up departing. Splitting time with Mattison. 

We still have Ty Chandler, so I’d expect Mattison and Chandler to split most of the carries and McBride to be mostly an injury insurance back-up for his rookie season. I think that this pick all but guarantees that we’ll be moving on from Dalvin Cook. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I am okay with the picks, but you seem to be really optimistic. I will wait until games are played before I get to excited. I have been a Vikings fan since 1968, and have learned that nothing is won in the off season.

And the Vikings have won offseason championships many, many times. 

• Like 2

I am the same was as @Captain Relax, I'm okay with the picks.  Not overly impressed, but I'll wait until I actually see them play, because they clearly have more information than I do about some of these players.  I do like the selections of Blackmon and Roy especially...Blackmon after what I've heard and read about him and Roy, just the fact that they did end up picking a guy that can eventually fill the NT position. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

and Roy, just the fact that they did end up picking a guy that can eventually fill the NT position. 

While Roy can play NT and showed he could in 2022, I think he's best as a 3T. That said, they got Calvin Avery in UDFA, who is a thicccc boy and has some great tape 2 gapping and manhandling top drafted centers in JMS and Tippman.

• Like 2

The only pick I am currently not sure about, is Jay Ward.

I think the biggest reason for me is that I am absolutely horrible at 'scouting' hybrid safety/ncb players. most other positions i can get a good read on it, but this position is such a cerebral role that have so many different assignments, its tough for me to gauge if hes messing up, or someone else is. 

So in that reason, I will defer to Brian Flores for this one. Ward seems like the hand picked player by Flores for that 'star" hybrid role. Kwesi comped him to Jimmie Ward; which makes sense. I think that is the idea of how they want to use him.

all the other picks, make perfect sense to me. 

• Like 3

I get the thread but I can’t judge him quite yet. Haven’t seen them play or even remain healthy.  

If I was to give him a grade while ignoring that, it wouldn’t be terrible but it certainly wouldn’t be a good grade either. 

Edited by Morlee

Not bad for the draft, if Roy works out that would be ideal and would really help on the DL.  Going to have to do something with Z. Smith and Cook, because you cannot keep five RBs much less four honestly and you cannot keep 7 OLBs.  They might have to choose between Mullens or Hall and Chandler or McBride and Carter or Jones unless Z. Smith and Cook are traded....

QB Kirk Cousins / Mullens / J. Hall
RB Mattison / Nwangwu / Chandler / McBride
FB CJ Ham
TE TJ Hockenson / J. Oliver / J. Mundt
WR J. Jefferson / Nailor / Powell
WR J. Addison / Osborn 
OT Darrisaw / Brandel
OG Cleveland / C. Reed
C Bradbury / Schlottmann
OG Ingram
OT O'Neill / Udoh

DE D. Lowry / Otomewo
NT Tonga / Roy
DE Phillips / J. Lynch
OLB D. Hunter / P. Jones / A. Carter
ILB Asamoah / Pace
ILB Hicks / Reeder
OLB M. Davenport / Wonnum
CB B. Murphy / J. Williams / Blackmon
SS H. Smith / Metellus
FS Bynum / Cine / J. Ward
CB Booth / Evans

K Greg Joseph
P Ryan Wright
LS Andrew DePaola

Jay Ward has versatility, but honestly if Cine is good they would have little need for Ward unless they want to can Metellus.  Also not sure who the backup guards would be unless they consider Udoh and Schlottmann possible backup guards.  

With how it worked out they made the right choice taking Addison 1st round instead of a CB I feel no question about it.  The promise and potential of Andre Carter and Ivan Pace Jr really helps the team, both have tons of upside and potential especially Carter.  Not sure they could put Carter on the practice squad without another team picking him up, same with Pace assuming they do well which I think they will.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I do not see Roy as a NT. I think Avery makes the team as a back up NT and Roy is an end.

Roy could play 3/4 DE no question but not sure I am sold on anyone at NT outside of Tonga and he is just ok at it and provides no real pass rush.  Roy at least could give a pass rush but has a long ways to go in terms of consistent play.  Wish Phillips could be a NT but not sure he can do that and is probably better in a 4/3 DT spot.  

Really is curious what they do with Z. Smith and Cook, because if they are still on the roster, Carter, McBride and others will be cut and try on the practice squad and most likely they are picked up by someone else and never make it over to the practice squad.  

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see so many complementary opinions on here about the draft. I personally did not think we did a very good job. My Favorite pick was Roy, Addison is a good prospect but scoring points is not where we struggled. The DB's we did draft I didn't have ranked particularly high and had several others I was hoping for. I do fear the McBride pick means we are losing Cook which trust me is not a good thing. Anyway hopefully I get proved wrong but I'm on the record for not being a fan of it. 

5 hours ago, vikes635 said:

I'm surprised to see so many complementary opinions on here about the draft. I personally did not think we did a very good job. My Favorite pick was Roy, Addison is a good prospect but scoring points is not where we struggled. The DB's we did draft I didn't have ranked particularly high and had several others I was hoping for. I do fear the McBride pick means we are losing Cook which trust me is not a good thing. Anyway hopefully I get proved wrong but I'm on the record for not being a fan of it. 

with only having 1 top 100 pick, the draft class is going to be predominantly shaped by how you feel about Addison, and selecting a premium position like WR in the 1st round.

I happen to really like Addison as a prospect; happen to believe he is a perfect running mate for JJ and he makes this offense that much more valuable. 

Just in regard to the situation:

1. Justin Jefferson should be a Viking for a long time. But he will be expensive going forward. For the next 4 years, he and the Vikings will have a super cheap, high end complimentary WR2 to pair with him.

2. After 2023 season, Osborn and Reagor are both going to be free agents. The depth in this group will be non existent. 

3. While you have TJ as an excellent receiving option, Addison just brings an entirely new dimension to teams trying to defend the Vikings and take out JJ. I don't care about the 40 time he posted while nursing a lower back strain, he is FAST. PFF mentioned his in game speed score is in the 90th percentile. Caleb Williams mentioned in an interview that Addison is the fastest WR on the USC team and they clocked him at 23mph with GPS tracking. Kenny Pickett in an interview stated prior to the combine, he expected Addison to run in the low 4.3's. He's fast, he's probably the fastest receiver the Vikings have now. 

4. Besides being fast, he's similiar to JJ as he's a route running savant and he's an elite separator. He had one of the best drop rates in the 2023 rookie class as well (low 3s). So he has excellent hands, excellent separation ability, excellent route running and oh...he won the award for college football's best wide receiver...AT AGE 19 IN HIS TRUE SOPHMORE SEASON.

5. The Vikings put a lot of free agent money into the defense. They hired Brian Flores who is probably their best defensive pick up this entire offseason. They spent their next 3 selections on defensive players. I dont think they have neglected the defense this offseason but they also want to give the guys they drafted last year a bit of a runway to succeed. I think we should give them that chance. Meanwhile, Jordan Addison is going to be cutting up secondary and tertiary DBs all day sundays this fall.

Let's get paid.

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 5

Rick Spielman: 

"Jordan Addison is the most explosive route runner in this year's draft. He reminded a lot of DeVonta Smith when he was coming out. They ran about the same time, about the same size. They lost Adam Thielen as a cap-casualty. K.J. Osborne is a good third receiver, but he's not a number two. Justin Jefferson is going to get a lot of double teams, so this kid is going to get a lot of ball thrown his way. He's going to make an immediate impact in this offense."

"Jay Ward is another one of those multi-positional defensive backs. He's played some nickel, but I think he'll end up as a free safety. What sticks out most about him is instincts and awareness in zone coverage. Ward isn't afraid to come up and hit. I think he plays with a lot of savvy. He's going to have a chance to play multiple positions and be solid special teams backup for them."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-draft-former-nfl-gm-provides-his-best-picks-and-hidden-gems-in-breakdown-of-how-all-32-teams-fared/?fbclid=IwAR3VWXZ5HL7iF0BOW7TkwO_femmVWIB2bNBstCHocYqMCOdZDFda0jBIGGU