2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

On 2/4/2024 at 4:34 PM, 101Raider said:

Just spit-ballin…

saw a proposal where Bears send us Fields for Adams.  Now personally, I wouldn’t be thrilled as I think that undervalues Adam and would want some additional capital…  also not very likely with the Getsy hiring. However,  let’s just pretend that we end up with Fields or a free agent QB like a Cousins/Baker, trade Adams and keep our original picks without needing to go after a QB. 

How’d you all feel about offering  our 1st, 2nd and 3rd then to AZ for a bonafide superstar wideout in MHJ?  Yes, I’m aware they’re way more likely to take him themselves, but you never how a GM feels about there core roster…

AZ: 1800

13 (1150)+ 44 (460)+77 (205) =1815

Just offer Zona Adams, 13 and our 5th and we probably get #4

26 minutes ago, G said:

Just offer Zona Adams, 13 and our 5th and we probably get #4

I’m very sure that QB is going 1,2,3 so they’d miss out at 4. I’d rather keep Adams and try to get in the top ten to get one of the second level guys. 

8 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

8/17 for 148 yds and no tds(McCarthy in the national championship) is pretty cold to me

Coaches know the players. If there was a stud QB who was tearing it up in n practice, that said QB would get more freedom to show out in real games. Coaches want to win. Seemed like Harbaugh was trying to protect him. Idk, seems like a lot to ask someone to do something in the NFL that he never showed in college. He makes a couple flashy plays. That type of logic leads to busts in the 1st 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Coaches know the players. If there was a stud QB who was tearing it up in n practice, that said QB would get more freedom to show out in real games. Coaches want to win. Seemed like Harbaugh was trying to protect him. Idk, seems like a lot to ask someone to do something in the NFL that he never showed in college. He makes a couple flashy plays. That type of logic leads to busts in the 1st 

There is always bust potential with any player.  Look back on our drafts and all of the 1st round QB's taken since 2010 as examples.  The draft is a total crap shoot especially when you're selecting a QB.  We had the #4 pick in 2019 and many fans on here were talking about how safe a pick CF was and the guy turned out to be a total hack which isn't much different than our other drafts over the last 20 years. 

Could McCarthy be a bust, sure he could but so could any QB selected.  If the team that selects him wants to get the best results they need to be patient, coach him up and surround him with decent talent.  He also needs to sit for nearly a full year if not the entire season IMO.  

Next years QB draft class looks lackluster and the Raiders have put themselves in the situation of making it obvious they need a QB by having nothing on the roster that resembles an NFL starter.  AOC is a backup and Jimmy G is a complete bum, if this team want's to sniff the playoffs over the next few seasons they need a QB and not some trash heap scraps out of the free agent pool.

The time is now for the new regime to take a risk if they want to survive.  The Top 3 Qb's will be gone by 13 and trading up for one of them will cost at least 3 1st's.  The risk with that is tremendous and this team is not in a position to mortgage the future for an unproven commodity especially considering how we have a below average roster.    

The smart move is to stay at 13 and let the draft come to us.  I would be on board with staying put and drafting the top CB (Wiggins or Arnold) or if the front office is confident that they can mold JJ into a star I would be ok with a slight trade up to 10, leapfrogging Denver and Min. who are also in need of a QB.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

So close - seemed like Harbaugh was trying to win... which he did. 
If there was a stud RB tearing it up , why not keep pounding the rock lol. 

As you said, Coaches want to win. plain and simple. 
Harbaugh wanted to win. 
Harbaugh did win. 

Harbaugh did what he needed to do to win. 
Could they have won with JJ throwing more, impossible to know. because no one could stop their run game, so they never deviated away from it. 

IF (and we know he was) Harbaugh only cared about trying to win, hed be an idiot to switch away from something working dont you think?

10 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I’m very sure that QB is going 1,2,3 so they’d miss out at 4. I’d rather keep Adams and try to get in the top ten to get one of the second level guys. 

Tae is my boy but I’ll rather have MHJ. Ten years younger, cheap contract for 5 years. Arizona says no tho 

On 2/19/2024 at 11:37 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

lol 

he said Caleb is more Jonny manziel than people want to acknowledge which is very interesting comparison 

He is. 

Johnny was able to feast on lesser opponents in college but rarely shined against the best. Often, he did so thanks to Mike Evans materializing out of thin air. 

Caleb feasts on lesser opponents but rarely shines against better opponents. 

Where people see "magic" with Caleb, I see a ton of luck that probably won't translate. People go "But Mahomes..." and don't seem to remember that Mahomes is seen as ridiculously special for a reason. Like short QBs and Brees/early Russ, people often forget it's not copy-and-paste. 

In this case, plenty of QBs go off-script. Few actually succeed in the NFL by doing so. Further, going off-script should be a bonus for broken plays, not a default setting as it often was with Manziel, and now Williams. People have questioned his ability to stay within structure, and that's why. Hero ball works against Sam Houston State and San Jose State, not so much against NFL defenses. 

Williams does remind me an awful lot of Manziel on the field. The only reason I hesitate to make the firm comparison and be done with it is that I do wonder how folks would feel if Williams was 6'5 230+. He's built not dissimilar to Manziel, but the issue isn't necessarily about their build- Josh Allen has played a similar style, imo, and the narrative there was always different because he was seen as a physical freak. Him being his size and doing it has that "wow" factor, but doesn't mean a guy Caleb or Manziel size can't do the same. For me, it's the style overall....I've heaped praise on Allen in the past, but it was for the leaps of progress he made to his game, not his off-script abilities. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

8/17 for 148 yds and no tds(McCarthy in the national championship) is pretty cold to me

It also takes out every single bit of context and is a pure example of only box score scouting. 

25 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

It also takes out every single bit of context and is a pure example of only box score scouting. 

I just looked up his stats on ESPN.

DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG QBR
Mon 1/8 vs2WASH 10 18 140 55.6 7.8 0 0 41 1 120.9 58.4
CFP NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PRES. BY AT&T
Mon 1/1 vs4ALA 17 27 221 63.0 8.2 3 0 38 0 168.4 91.9

So, he had a really good game against Alabama.  Maybe we should mention that.  What we should also mention is the fact that he had some rushing stats against Washington that should be considered as well. 4 rushes for 31 yards at 7.8 average with a long of 22.

I watched the game.  Tbh, I thought JJ McCarthy had a bigger impact on the game than what the box score shows.  I'm going to rewatch the highlights on YouTube (CFP National Championship: Michigan Wolverines vs. Washington Huskies | Full Game Highlights (youtube.com).  JJ McCarthy isn't the best QB in the draft right now, but he certainly has a respectable skillset that should be considered when it comes to his potential and whether or not we should draft him.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

So, he had a really good game against Alabama.  Maybe we should mention that.  What we should also mention is the fact that he had some rushing stats against Washington that should be considered as well. 4 rushes for 31 yards at 7.8 average with a long of 22.

I watched the game.  Tbh, I thought JJ McCarthy had a bigger impact on the game than what the box score shows.  I'm going to rewatch the highlights on YouTube (CFP National Championship: Michigan Wolverines vs. Washington Huskies | Full Game Highlights (youtube.com).  JJ McCarthy isn't the best QB in the draft right now, but he certainly has a respectable skillset that should be considered when it comes to his potential and whether or not we should draft him.

A fair and balanced take and I’m right here with you on it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

If you watched the Alabama game can you please point out to me when he looked "really good" he was pretty damn mid the entire game and missed hella easy throws lol

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Tae is my boy but I’ll rather have MHJ. Ten years younger, cheap contract for 5 years. Arizona says no tho 

Who’d be throwing to him? Because #4 ain’t Carr anymore my dude. 

The raiders have to get a QB. I’d rather they keep Tae another season or two and draft his replacement next season or the season after. WRs are probably the easiest position to find. 

6 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Find me the film of jj McCarthy against Washington(spoiler alert: you won't find it because he only completed 8/17 passes for what is a 47% completion rate). The reality is that if they lost the game than it would stop being ignored that he played horrible in the biggest game in his career. That's the kind of stuff that you evaluate when looking at a qb to be a 1st rounder and future of your franchise.