2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

11 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

How good is it that the Raiders are going into this draft without having a glaring need.

I can’t remember the last time the Raiders didn’t reach for a pick because of need and I’m old.

QB / RG / RT / CB / NT 

Are all glaring needs

• Like 1

How would people feel about us not addressing QB in round one? Say Caleb, Maye, Daniels, JJ and Nix are all gone before #13. Add in 2-3 WR's go and we are left with a great selection of OL, Edge guys or CBs.

Potentially even a trade down I could see.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

How would people feel about us not addressing QB in round one? Say Caleb, Maye, Daniels, JJ and Nix are all gone before #13. Add in 2-3 WR's go and we are left with a great selection of OL, Edge guys or CBs.

My issue is that the moves they've made indicate that they want to be competitive next year but with Minshew we're probably winning 6-8 games. So we'll be in the same spot next year where we're not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to be in position for a QB. So we'll have to leverage the farm next year to move up for someone in a much weaker QB class.

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Man this sucks. You never know what’s happening in the background but to see the Vikings being aggressive is a bummer. Just don’t see how the Raiders end up with a top tier QB. 

I still doubt the Vikings end up with a top tier QB. I just don't see any of the top 3 coming off their picks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I might be in the minority with this, but I'd be okay with it.  Why pick a QB if it's a major reach?  Getting a guy in the first that can be had in the 2nd or 3rd would be the smart course of action.  Pick BPA.  That's always been the right thing to do.  I'd be fine with just loading up our roster this year and next year's FA and then going all in on a QB in the draft when we have the roster set to take us to the promised land.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I still doubt the Vikings end up with a top tier QB. I just don't see any of the top 3 coming off their picks.

They're probably not.  We would have to give up half of our stadium and all of our first-born sons to move into the top 3 this year.

12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Welcome to the dark side. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Both. He probably wasn't asked to because he doesnt like to. But since you mention it, yea he also ran in a gimmicky offense in the pac 12. And anyone who pretends like that doesnt matter would have to look at how he played before he started playing in that scheme. it wasnt good.

Im really hoping the broncos draft that guy.

Oregon runs pro style passing concepts. It is a more pro style offense than what Nix ran at Auburn. The reason people think Oregon's offense is gimmicky is because of how many screens they run, but that's more about play calling than the scheme being gimmicky. Nix made plenty of NFL type throws.

I also maintain that Nix wasn't terrible at Auburn when you control for the situation--particularly the offensive line and receivers. You can find pre-transfer posts from me making that argument. In fact, if you want to get a better idea of Nix's abilities as a runner and escape artist, go watch his Auburn cut ups.

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

To me, him and JJ are in the same category where you have two guys that might be able to do it but we haven't seen them consistently make all of the throws(in an actual game situation) in any sizable sample size.

Nix has consistently hit downfield throws, particularly in the middle of the field and sometimes on the sidelines. Deep ball accuracy is a strength of his. However, he only seems to have a 55ish yard arm, which is similar to what Carr has. I.e. he has an NFL average downfield arm in terms of distance from what I've seen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

My issue is that the moves they've made indicate that they want to be competitive next year but with Minshew we're probably winning 6-8 games. So we'll be in the same spot next year where we're not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to be in position for a QB. So we'll have to leverage the farm next year to move up for someone in a much weaker QB class.

I agree with this - but don’t think we have a lot of choice. Certainly not now…

11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I might be in the minority with this, but I'd be okay with it.  Why pick a QB if it's a major reach?  Getting a guy in the first that can be had in the 2nd or 3rd would be the smart course of action.  Pick BPA.  That's always been the right thing to do.  I'd be fine with just loading up our roster this year and next year's FA and then going all in on a QB in the draft when we have the roster set to take us to the promised land.

I definitely agree with this. No need to reach for a QB. The QB class looks weak right now for next year but that will change and hopefully for the better. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think there's a mandate from Mark Davis about getting a QB this offseason come hell or high water. I think Fields is still in play. Although, a trade up back into the first round is also a possibility. I do not think punting on QB is a realistic option.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I think there's a mandate from Mark Davis about getting a QB this offseason come hell or high water. I think Fields is still in play. Although, a trade up back into the first round is also a possibility. I do not think punting on QB is a realistic option.

The only way I'd be okay with getting Fields is if the Bears become desperate and are willing to trade him for a day 3 pick.  He isn't worth more than that in my opinion.  Not when Minshew is capable of similar production.