2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Would y’all be more happy with Penix or Nix? Take draft position out of it. 

Feel like Penix would excite me more as a fan because of the ability to constantly stretch the field. 

Nix and it's not even close. Better mobility, processing and in the short and intermediate areas. Better system fit all around.

Penix doesn't make any sense for this system which stems from the Shanahan tree. He's not a quick processor who makes quick reads and throws. He's a vertical guy who struggles when moved off his spot. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Nix and it's not even close. Better mobility, processing and in the short and intermediate areas. Better system fit all around.

Penix doesn't make any sense for this system which stems from the Shanahan tree. He's not a quick processor who makes quick reads and throws. He's a vertical guy who struggles when moved off his spot. 

While I agree with you - and I have Nix ahead of Penix for the same reasons and I agree that on paper, he fits what appears to be the scheme Getsy will run, I can see a world where AP wants a more run heavy, play action, vertical game. And in that world, I can see them taking Penix and bringing in some speed weapons around him.

I also wouldn’t be totally against it either if that’s what they decide to do. The Getsy fit and current offensive personnel would concern me, but Penix’s arm and temperament would excite me. They would have to do some very creative things in the draft (RT at 13, double dip for speedy WRs, possibly a RB) and continue to invest in offense in post June FA in order to make me feel confident about it having a chance of working though.

44 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

White Jalen Hurts Jr is Nix

12 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Would y’all be more happy with Penix or Nix? Take draft position out of it. 

Feel like Penix would excite me more as a fan because of the ability to constantly stretch the field. 

Penix for me. 4 season ending injuries is a huge red flag but he's been healthy for two seasons now, so I think the injury stuff is slightly overblown. Sure a 24 year old rookie isn't ideal, but wasn't Burrow 24 coming out too? That's not the end of the world. 

I think him not thriving when plays break down is the biggest concern personally, but it's worth the "risk" on him when he's probably the best pure thrower in the draft. His deep ball is A++.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I have gone back and forth since Penix's Texas game, but I am back to liking Nix better. I see Nix's game projecting better to modern NFL offenses. I would be good with either as a late first-round trade-up or in the second.

I am also rooting for Nix to succeed wherever he ends up. A lot of people dislike him for no good reason.

Why do you think that is? Just because he’s older? Seems like an easy guy to root for to me.

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Why do you think that is? Just because he’s older? Seems like an easy guy to root for to me.

I suspect it is because he was a highly touted recruit who played pretty well as a true freshman and ultimately did not live up to the hype at Auburn. People like to dogpile over highly touted players who fall from grace for some reason. Based on his interviews, Nix has my favorite personality among the top QBs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nix is going be a backup, quote me on that. Pennix would be okay starter but he needs a good OL and has a red flag with his health. If he goes on a good system with a good OL, he will be fine. 

Pennix has serious footwork problems. At 24 this problem should’ve  been fixed already.

Edited by Bitty 2.0

Do you want a QB who doesn’t take shots downfield or a QB who has to learn how to take the underneath stuff a little more. 

Getsy scheme does seem to have roots from the Shanny tree. However I do think his(Getsy) offense has more of a vertical threat to it. 

46 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Penix for me. 4 season ending injuries is a huge red flag but he's been healthy for two seasons now, so I think the injury stuff is slightly overblown. Sure a 24 year old rookie isn't ideal, but wasn't Burrow 24 coming out too? That's not the end of the world. 

I think him not thriving when plays break down is the biggest concern personally, but it's worth the "risk" on him when he's probably the best pure thrower in the draft. His deep ball is A++.

Burrow was light years better than Penix and lol at Penix being a better pure thrower than Caleb.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Burrow, Eli, Palmer, Tannehill, Wentz, Campbell....

Penix and Nix are no older than several QBs nobody batted an eye at. They're not Brandon Weeden. The only reason they're notable is that a couple of the guys in the class are barely old enough to buy alcohol. 

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

While I agree with you - and I have Nix ahead of Penix for the same reasons and I agree that on paper, he fits what appears to be the scheme Getsy will run, I can see a world where AP wants a more run heavy, play action, vertical game. And in that world, I can see them taking Penix and bringing in some speed weapons around him.

I also wouldn’t be totally against it either if that’s what they decide to do. The Getsy fit and current offensive personnel would concern me, but Penix’s arm and temperament would excite me. They would have to do some very creative things in the draft (RT at 13, double dip for speedy WRs, possibly a RB) and continue to invest in offense in post June FA in order to make me feel confident about it having a chance of working though.

This intrigues me. AP is a walking Raider cliché. I could see the same thing and them him talking up the Raiders of old and how he wants to emulate that. 

But that would be a direct contradiction with his OC hire so we will see I guess. if they take Penix, you can bet your bottom dollar we will hear non stop comparisons from AP to the Al Davis Raiders.

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How we feeling a week out? 

I'm at a point where there aren't many moves I would absolutely LOVE but there are certainly a few I'd HATE. 

Not many moves are totally stupid. But there a few that are. 

36 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Do you want a QB who doesn’t take shots downfield or a QB who has to learn how to take the underneath stuff a little more. 

Getsy scheme does seem to have roots from the Shanny tree. However I do think his(Getsy) offense has more of a vertical threat to it. 

Just because Nix wasn't asked to take shots in Oregon's offense, doesn't mean he can't. 

Penix - 29 of 49 on throws 10-22 yards over the middle. 2TDs, 3 INTs. 85th in the FBS in success rate. He's present day Russel Wilson level's of awful in the middle.

When he faces cover 3 defenses in the NFL that take away his deep ball strength, he's going to be in trouble. He doesn't process quickly or read defenses. He's not accurate, generally bailed out by his WRs on 50/50 balls. Poor when forced to move out of the pocket. 

He's a 3rd round pick to me.