2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

25 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Watching the Youtube highlights on Allen is admittedly a limited sample size, but what I see from those is a slightly faster, slightly more elusive version of our AJ. Dillon. I have no idea how he had a 1.49 10 yrd split, because he sure looks slow on his get off.  But is Allen a banger? I didn't see it--though again, limited sample size. AJ Dillon is not what I would call a banger, for reasons I posted on another thread. So  why not go with a slightly lighter back, say, 230 tops, since at least he'll have more speed, elusiveness? Say a Trey Benson, FSU? Ok, maybe Benson is too rich--may go in 2nd round, but do we really need a 245+ RB if none of them are gonna be bangers (who end up in wheelchairs with Dementia in their 50's) as current rules/safety protocols stand? 

Nah, Allen has significantly better get off than Dillon. Watch the hashes in the peripheral when Allen runs, not just Allen himself, he's quicker than you think. He's a long strider with quick feet and covers 10 yards quick. I think you're confusing his patience as a runner with his get off. He has vision so he's not always quick to his get off but when the hole is there, he hits it hard. He's got better feet than Dillon too so he's always chopping with his feet. Allen dealt with a ton of lower body injuries this year (and last somewhat) so he wasn't always at full health. 

Allen is everything we want Dillon to be as a runner tbh. He does get tripped up easily sometimes but he gets extra yards bouncing off defenders. I'll take Allen in the 3rd over Benson in the 2nd every time.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 3

Feel like he was more nimble and explosive as a freshman but that's not shocking since he added more weight in the S&C program at UW. That and he dealt with a bunch of lower body stuff but played through it as a soph and jr.

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Nah, Allen has significantly better get off than Dillon. Watch the hashes in the peripheral when Allen runs, not just Allen himself, he's quicker than you think. He's a long strider with quick feet and covers 10 yards quick. I think you're confusing his patience as a runner with his get off. He has vision so he's not always quick to his get off but when the hole is there, he hits it hard. He's got better feet than Dillon too so he's always chopping with his feet. Allen dealt with a ton of lower body injuries this year (and last somewhat) so he wasn't always at full health. 

Allen is everything we want Dillon to be as a runner tbh. He does get tripped up easily sometimes but he gets extra yards bouncing off defenders. I'll take Allen in the 3rd over Benson in the 2nd every time.

Great points. I will go and re-watch. Thanks for taking the time to give your input. Much respect!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Allen Freshman Highlights

Allen Sophomore Highlights

Allen Junior Highlights

The very first highlight of junior year showed just how I remember him. He picks, gets a few steps into the hole, and if he’s not hit the jets go on.

The second clip was pretty juicy. Do that consistently in the NFL and hour second contract will be nice!

• Like 1

I still don't see any speed concerns with Allen.  Defensive backs will probably be able to catch him.  It is very unlikely that many linebackers will.  And he shows power that will deter many of the guys faster than him.  

• Like 1

I don't even know that it's controversial to suggest there are a number of RD2-RD3 RB's that you can make a valid case to take over Allen.  I'd just be fine with Allen if those guys are off the board.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

This is part of the fun of it.  *IF* they choose to go RB on Day 2, there is a volume of guys who could be very good.  Some very worthy possibilities who could end up being very effective within our offense and context.  *If* Gute picks RB day 2, I think that player will have loads of potential to serve us well.  I'm guessing that will not happen, and Gute will end up with both Jones and Dillon back on appropriate contracts.  But if Gute does take a 2nd-day back, I think we'll be really excited about him.  

23 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't even know that it's controversial to suggest there are a number of RD2-RD3 RB's that you can make a valid case to take over Allen.  I'd just be fine with Allen if those guys are off the board.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

There's a chance Allen is the first RB off the board. The class isn't top tier so your guess is as good as mine on who goes off the board first. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

There's a chance Allen is the first RB off the board. The class isn't top tier so your guess is as good as mine on who goes off the board first. 

I'd be pretty surprised to see Allen go as the first RB taken, but agree that the class doesn't have a clear top guy.  I do feel like a few day 2 types will be a nice match for GB if that's where Gute wants to go.

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'd be pretty surprised to see Allen go as the first RB taken, but agree that the class doesn't have a clear top guy.  I do feel like a few day 2 types will be a nice match for GB if that's where Gute wants to go.

6'2" 238 with really good get off, great feet, good vision, true bell cow ability and he's 20 years old. He's also likely going to nail the interview process. He's a rare blend in a class that doesn't have a true #1. I'm not saying he's going to be the first one off the board but he's one of the few that has the case. 

Allen’s pretty far down the list of potential feature backs. Great of you can pair him with an Irving, Shipley, or someone that can block and catch, you have a nice Ying/Yang. But Allen will require an entire season to fit the offense on 3rd downs, and I’m not sure he’s going to run faster than 4.65. I would take him with our 3rds if no other RB is available. Bottom of round 3 grade. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in round 6 simultaneously. Limited market for a limited skill set.

10 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Allen’s pretty far down the list of potential feature backs. Great of you can pair him with an Irving, Shipley, or someone that can block and catch, you have a nice Ying/Yang. But Allen will require an entire season to fit the offense on 3rd downs, and I’m not sure he’s going to run faster than 4.65. I would take him with our 3rds if no other RB is available. Bottom of round 3 grade. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him in round 6 simultaneously. Limited market for a limited skill set.

How are you always so wrong?