2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Which year and what game? What injury was he playing through? That ******* kid was a god damn warrior. Know your subject.

Purdue this season. Illinois St as a sophomore he tops out and almost gets caught by a CB. He doesn’t have breakaway NFL speed. It’s not a dealbreaker. It’s not his game to run past guys.

Short of some ridiculous value being available, I think WR isn't going to be taken in the first 5 rounds.

Christian Watson
Romeo Doubs
Jayden Reed
Dontayvion Wicks
Bo Melton
Malik Heath

Probably some mid-to-late Day 3 guys in for competition with the bottom of the roster, but I think there's a decent chance that the WR corps is the same going into next year.

S
LB
CB
OL

for me in order. I hope we extend Kenny as long as it's reasonable, he still has some left in the tank. Would also like to extend AJ for a couple years, eat the dead cap in 2 years if we cut him. Draft a RB in the 4th to replace Dillon

Think we have something with Carrington, give Stokes one more year to figure it out. 

Edited by JBURGE

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Short of some ridiculous value being available, I think WR isn't going to be taken in the first 5 rounds.

Christian Watson
Romeo Doubs
Jayden Reed
Dontayvion Wicks
Bo Melton
Malik Heath

Probably some mid-to-late Day 3 guys in for competition with the bottom of the roster, but I think there's a decent chance that the WR corps is the same going into next year.

I leaned towards this way of thinking until I thought about when we drafted Jordy or Devonta when, on paper, we had plenty of WRs.

I think we're absolutely going to stun people with another day two WR pick 

Edited by Sandy

WR round 2 wouldnt be a shock for me. Christian can't stay on the field, and getting one this year means the new guy is in year 3 when we inevitably move on from him and/or Doubs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

WR round 2 wouldnt be a shock for me. Christian can't stay on the field, and getting one this year means the new guy is in year 3 when we inevitably move on from him and/or Doubs. 

It’s a tricky position to be in because that room is so crowded with potential you want to get enough reps to develop who you’ve already got in house.  But you’re right, if we get a best case scenario where 2-3 guys become good to great players we can’t keep them all and need to have another wave of talent up and coming.  Great QB and Oline play with little loyalty to the skill positions can work cap wise although we will watch a lot of fan favorites walk. 

We also have DuBose sitting on the PS, and Toure on IR.  I think we are fine at WR both in terms of front line and depth.  

I looked at safeties real quick this morning.  I have a bias for the 6'3 safeties, just getting that out of the way up front.  I like the way that Kinchens tackles, I am not sure that the turnovers still happen in the NFL.  I do think that turnovers will keep happening with Tyler Nubin.  Calen Bullock also looks big and fast.  I really liked the tiny highlight video I saw of Wake Forest's Malik Mustapha.  If he is as fast as reported, I am very interested.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We also have DuBose sitting on the PS, and Toure on IR.  I think we are fine at WR both in terms of front line and depth.  

Toure is likely gone.  From a sheer numbers' game, he's on the outside looking in.  So unless he has a massive preseason, he's probably at best a PS candidate.  But I'd imagine they'll bring in a rookie who will replace him.  Can't imagine they carry more than 2 WRs on the practice squad.

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

Great QB and Oline play with little loyalty to the skill positions can work cap wise although we will watch a lot of fan favorites walk. 

If you keep priming the pump with viable talents...you dont just let the fan favorites walk. 
You extend the top tier guys and trade the fan favorites or draft capital going forward. Kinda consistent with a draft & develop organization.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

If you keep priming the pump with viable talents...you dont just let the fan favorites walk. 
You extend the top tier guys and trade the fan favorites or draft capital going forward. Kinda consistent with a draft & develop organization.

Hopefully you pick the most productive and durable out of the bunch but if you have several, which again is asking a lot but we just might with this group, some will have to walk or be moved. I’m saying it is one model that can  work especially if you have your investment at QB and OLine really producing.  But, it can be hard to stomach as a fan if you have a guy who’s been developing into a good player with your team and then you have to watch him crush it in a different uniform. As long as your team keeps rolling, it’s a good problem to have but you have to keep momentum by replacing that talent. 

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Hopefully you pick the most productive and durable out of the bunch but if you have several, which again is asking a lot but we just might with this group, some will have to walk or be moved. I’m saying it is one model that can  work especially if you have your investment at QB and OLine really producing.  But, it can be hard to stomach as a fan if you have a guy who’s been developing into a good player with your team and then you have to watch him crush it in a different uniform. As long as your team keeps rolling, it’s a good problem to have but you have to keep momentum by replacing that talent. 

Agree. They need to keep adding talent...and not let the WR room die on the vine as they did recently.
Any abundance of talent affords the opportunity to trade....something I dont think GB does enough of to be frank.