2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Joe Barry stays, I want another EDGE in Rd 1 along with one more Brooks like DL. Re-sign Savage for relatively cheap, sign another safety and bring back Ford on a vet min deal. Draft a CB on day 2 and early day 3.

New DC, Id like a CB in round 1, safety on day 2, with more littered in on day 3. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Joe Barry stays, I want another EDGE in Rd 1 along with one more Brooks like DL. Re-sign Savage for relatively cheap, sign another safety and bring back Ford on a vet min deal. Draft a CB on day 2 and early day 3.

New DC, Id like a CB in round 1, safety on day 2, with more littered in on day 3. 

Joe Barry stays I’d like our first round pick traded for a next year’s first round pick plus Gary, Alexander, LVN, Clark, Wyatt and everyone else on defense traded for future picks plus Love and Reed and Doubs and Jones and everyone else on offense traded for future picks.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree. They need to keep adding talent...and not let the WR room die on the vine as they did recently.
Any abundance of talent affords the opportunity to trade....something I dont think GB does enough of to be frank.

I do think we have a timeline where we could not take a single receiver this year and be fine.  It will get interesting if a guy they really like falls in that late 2/3/4 round slot.  They have definitely found some later round gems so there could be some scouts pounding that table on draft day. 

Just now, MacReady said:

Joe Barry stays I’d like our first round pick traded for a next year’s first round pick plus Gary, Alexander, LVN, Clark, Wyatt and everyone else on defense traded for future picks plus Love and Reed and Doubs and Jones and everyone else on offense traded for future picks.

If Joe Barry is retained it's probably just best to skip watching the season but we're suckers for pain so we will not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I do think we have a timeline where we could not take a single receiver this year and be fine.  It will get interesting if a guy they really like falls in that late 2/3/4 round slot.  They have definitely found some later round gems so there could be some scouts pounding that table on draft day. 

Also agree. The rooms packed at the moment....but the concept holds.

Draft thoughts.

The bad. The 6th overall pick is a distant dream - now it is almost 20 picks later. Also, I cannot see a prospect at around pick 25 that wows me. The positions we want most (imo) are safety, RB and ILB, none of which are strong positions in this draft.
The good. First off, notice how much more 'good' there is compared to 'bad'. Drafting at 25 implies there is no need to draft a QB with the first pick, we already know Love is 'the guy'. Also, the Packers are not seriously in need of an Edge, OT, WR or QB, positions where the bulk of first round picks go, especially in a year so strong at QB, OT and WR. They certainly COULD go Edge, CB or OT early (it being notoriously difficult to guess the Packers picks) but they don't HAVE to go there. They have extra 2nd and 3rd round picks, so they can upgrade a lot of positions.

Because several QBs (Penix, McCarthy, Nix) are ranked as late 1st early 2nd choices, there is a good chance teams drafting fairly early in round 2 that missed out on their QB in round one and may come knocking at GBs door to trade up, like the Commanders and Falcons (but not the Raiders, who traded their 2nd rounder to Chicago and it is a 2nd rounder this year we want). There may even be a team wanting to trade up for a WR (unlikely but possible). Why is this good ? Well, there are plenty of good choices for Green Bay through round 2, so an extra pick in round two is gold.

Part of this is because the Packers biggest needs are generally not premium positions, so round 2 can still get a good one at a position of need, whereas at pick 25 the best 5 or even 6 OTs could be gone. Three picks in rounds 2 and 3 would be very handy for filling positions with guys who have a good chance to be plus starters. For example, the Packers could trade 25 and 136 (the last pick in round 4) for Washington's 40th and 67th picks.

In round two, for example, are Safety Nubin (and possibly Kinchens), Centers Powers-Johnson, Van Pran and Frazier, guards (or projected guards) Barton (probably gone), Beebe and Suamataia. There are a couple of good ILB's as well, Trotter is probably gone but Ford, Cooper and Eichenberg could well be available. This doesn't even include the possibility of going with a quality RB as a round 2 pick, which they might well do.

I'd be looking for a Safety early (as I said it is a poor year for them so you want one of the few good ones), then if you could trade back from #25, though you miss your round one pick you could have THREE picks in round 2 and round 3. For example:
S Tyler Nubin,
C Jackson Powers-Johnson,
OG Cooper Beebe,
RB Jonathon Brooks,
ILB Tommy Eichenberg,
CB (slot) Mike Sainristil.

That looks like a great haul to me with so many positions filled with a potential starter and (hopefully) plus players there. I did miss out on a big DT/NT (in round 3) that I liked (Maason Smith) but you can never get everyone you want and I chose Sainristil over him as arguably the best slot corner in this draft.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Lotta teams would love to have Joe Barry's playoff results 

Lotta defensive coordinators would like to be able to have 8 first round draft picks on their roster so they could perform better than Barry could ever dream in the playoffs.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If you would have asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said that EDGE was near the bottom of positions to take in the first round.  The Enagbare injury certainly muddies that.  I don't really like this EDGE class very much at the top outside of Dallas Turner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If you would have asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said that EDGE was near the bottom of positions to take in the first round.  The Enagbare injury certainly muddies that.  I don't really like this EDGE class very much at the top outside of Dallas Turner.

I do like Latu.............though there is that foot injury to consider. Both he and Turner should be long gone at #25. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

You aren't getting a top EDGE without moving one of those seconds. Bralon Trice, Chop Robinson, Chris Braswell, those are your late 1st edge rushers. Maybe Ellis if his Combine is great.

Trice gives you inside/outside versatility a solid bull rusher, and top line effort. He's got a Preston Smith type ceiling, he's never going to be all-pro, but I'd have a really hard time seeing a bust there. 

Robinson is the guy you take if you want an All-Pro, but there is way more bust potential there. Guy is every bit the athlete that Parsons is, but the results only came in short bursts and disappeared. If your staff can get him playing consistent ball, you're getting a top 5 pick athlete at the end of round 1.

Braswell to me could be a steal, 5* recruit, 80th percentile or so athlete, good production when starting, just stuck behind Turner and Will Anderson his whole career, would not have any issues with him.

Ellis gives me so many Clay Matthews vibes, dude is just kind of the nuts, hair on fire guy Clay was, but Clay was also an elite athlete, and to be 6'2 245 playing on the edge you need to be.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You aren't getting a top EDGE without moving one of those seconds. Bralon Trice, Chop Robinson, Chris Braswell, those are your late 1st edge rushers. Maybe Ellis if his Combine is great.

Honestly, I haven't spent much time looking at EDGEs yet since it wasn't a high priority given the Packers' depth chart.  Dallas Turner is EDGE1 pretty easily for me though.  Latu probably would have pushed for EDGE1, but those uncertainties regarding the medicals probably hurts him.  Feels like he could be a guy who gets pushed down if teams start red flagging him.  Jared Verse is something I want no part of.

• Like 1

I like Braswell quite a bit. Both a safe pick and presumably toolsy, we’ll see what he times out at.

I have no interest in a project pass rusher with a high pick if he stick with Barry & Co. I don’t trust this defensive coaching staff to develop them.