2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't want to see OT as our first pick. I feel like Tom is a stud at RT, Walker is an above average starting LT in the NFL, and we have serviceable backups so can fill in if need be. I'm fine drafting developmental prospects for those positions but not at the first few picks. We really need to shore up the defense, specifically Safety, CB, MLB, and Pass Rusher. 

• Like 1

I am expecting to draft these positions early: Safety / RB / slot CB / C-G / ILB. Probably LS and a kicker too, either drafted or in FA. The major five there can all be addressed by the end of day 2 of the draft (depending on how the draft falls, of course). I have made countless mock drafts and though they are not the real thing, I have got most or all of those positions many times in a draft. If you are not too wedded to specific players you can make what (on paper) looks like a draft that upgrades a lot of positions.

Possible other positions, T/G, Edge, NT, outside CB.

Doesn't need much, if anything here, TE, WR, QB.

The toughest decision in this draft is who to take at 25 ?  I don't have a good answer to that and would certainly approve if the Packers traded #25 to move to the bottom of round one or the top of round two and get 6 day 2 picks.

I just went and did a draft (nflmockdraft) to illustrate what I was saying. I get only one shot at the draft and I attempt to make one trade down from #25 (to my surprise I succeeded in persuading Washington to trade). I got S Kamren Kinchens / C-G Jackson Powers-Johnson / RB Blake Corum / ILB Edgerrin Cooper / CB Josh Newton / S Jayden Hicks.  I wanted a slot corner at pick 88, but Draine went at #69 and Sainristil (the one I wanted most) went at 76, so I took Newton and at least got some kind of CB.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I hate that we need multiple safeties. Nothing worse than scouting safeties. If you don't have A22, don't bother. If you do, here's a typical evaluation.

60% no bearing on the play whatsoever
20-25% I think he executed the scheme as called, but not sure
10% I think he ****ed up, but not sure
5-10% Oooh, cool splash play 

that 10% is important though. If a guy never flashes instincts attacking a pass/pass-catcher I have zero interest in him. Football IQ shows up on those splash plays.

It's definitely a "necessary" filter but also definitely not a "sufficient" filter. 

So those plays are useful in removing low ceiling guys from the board, but can leave potential busts on there as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For veteran additions, expect a safety, because it is probably the greatest need and Gute does like to fill positions of greatest need with at least a warm body, so he is covered to some degree if the draft doesn't fall right.

It looks like a damn nice safety FA class too 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It looks like a damn nice safety FA class too 

Honestly it's the only "must have" move IMO as far as FA goes. Wouldn't be opposed to resigning a few of our own for the right price, but an outside SAF is a must. Then just hit on CB, another SAF, RB and IOL in the draft and this roster is ready to rock more or less. 

What do you guys think of going scattershot with the safety group instead of paying for a vet?  Keep AJJ and Sapp III, re-sign Owens for pretty cheap (I think he will be cheap) and then spend say a 2nd, 4th, and 6th on the safety room?  Flood it with young talent and see what happens. Just looking at the Spotrac estimates, I see like 18 for Winfield Jr, 10 for Xavier McKinney, 15 for Kamren Curl, and I am thinking that is pretty steep.

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

that 10% is important though. If a guy never flashes instincts attacking a pass/pass-catcher I have zero interest in him. Football IQ shows up on those splash plays.

It's definitely a "necessary" filter but also definitely not a "sufficient" filter. 

So those plays are useful in removing low ceiling guys from the board, but can leave potential busts on there as well.

Oh for sure, it's just you get gratification watching a QB/OL/DL/LB/EDGE every play. They always are in every play. A WR/CB/RB may not get the ball every play, but they always run a route/block/fit the run, safeties are just irrelevant on so many plays. Boooooring tape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Too early, don't know for sure what our defensive scheme will be. 

You also don't know that the 6'4 WR from Virginia State is really 6'1.  Or the New Hampshire Tech CB really runs a 4.6.  Give it a little more time for the proper athletic numbers to come out, and more cut ups of individual players to be more easily accessed.  

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What do you guys think of going scattershot with the safety group instead of paying for a vet?  Keep AJJ and Sapp III, re-sign Owens for pretty cheap (I think he will be cheap) and then spend say a 2nd, 4th, and 6th on the safety room?  Flood it with young talent and see what happens. Just looking at the Spotrac estimates, I see like 18 for Winfield Jr, 10 for Xavier McKinney, 15 for Kamren Curl, and I am thinking that is pretty steep.

I want a better "QB of the defense". Our current options are pretty bad right now. And I'd prefer that to be a vet UNLESS there's a room ready to step in day 1 and be The Guy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You also don't know that the 6'4 WR from Virginia State is really 6'1.  Or the New Hampshire Tech CB really runs a 4.6.  Give it a little more time for the proper athletic numbers to come out, and more cut ups of individual players to be more easily accessed.  

I think the youtube cutups have more or less been made into just "team X offense vs Team Y defense" outside of the superstars

2010 - 2014 were like the golden years for youtube cut ups ha.

26 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Kiper just did his latest mock on ESPN. Had DeJean at 19. I'd say there is a chance he could slide to 25, but as somebody said, it's going to come down to the combine. 

Will he participate in combine due to his injury or wait til pro day?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Will he participate in combine due to his injury or wait til pro day?

I have no idea. Someone said it was a broken leg, but it should be healed in plenty of time. It was lower leg but not sure what bone and don't think they reported it. 

• Like 1