2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Is the fact that JPJ went from ~40 on media boards to ~20 now after a few Senior Bowl practices predicated on anything he actually did at the Senior Bowl, or is this just a standard correction when the media folks realize the NFL is way higher on a guy than they expected?

Edited by PossibleCabbage

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Is the fact that JPJ went from ~40 on media boards to ~20 now after a few Senior Bowl practices predicated on anything he actually did at the Senior Bowl, or is this just a standard correction when the media folks realize the NFL is way higher on a guy than they expected?

Not sure I'm this case, but usually those corrective occur three weeks leading into the draft. This is more likely the opposite effect where players rise based on media reporting before "falling" in the draft. 

11 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Yeah, PFF has him ranked 22nd LOL.

Powers-Johnson can play guard as well, so he has versatility to add to his resume. I think pick 25 is just fine for taking him, though obviously getting him at 41 would be better - I just don't think he lasts that long. I do like that serious bulk he has and I doubt big DTs are getting far bull rushing him. Ideally I'd like him to be about 320-325 (he is listed as 334), but that is a very minor criticism. He has looked good at the Senior Bowl.

One other prospect I am interested in is a good day three RB, someone that isn't Corum*, Benson* or Shipley*, and one RB who looked good at the Senior Bowl practices is New Hampshire RB Dylan Laube (5'10", 210, 4.45). He is a very good pass catcher and has make-you-miss ability in tight spaces. I wonder where he would have gone in the draft if he had enrolled in a bigger college program. As it is, he seems to be a 4th/5th rounder.

* (Nothing wrong with these guys but I'm looking for value in day 3, not day 2)

PS CB Quinyon Mitchell is now looking like a viable pick at 25.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

One player that might have a better chance of being drafted by the Packers now is OT Christian Mahogany (6'3", 332), since he came from Boston and the Packers have Hafley as DC, who has had all year to watch him close-up. He'd almost certainly be a guard in the NFL. If he is still sitting there in round 4, he could be an attractive choice.

9 hours ago, StatKing said:

We should invest more in the defense. I wouldn't mind drafting a couple of OL and maybe another WR but for the most part I think our offense is set for the next couple years.

we need a RB, possibly 2, Dillon is probably gone, Jones is nearing the end, time for another feature type RB, we do PA 60% of our plays, for that to work ya need a RB defenses have to respect, with Jones hurt this year our offense went into hibernation, can't allow that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Yeah, PFF has him ranked 22nd LOL.

Some teams will love him though, I could see the Eagles pulling the trigger at 22 as a replacement for Kelce. 

6 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Powers-Johnson can play guard as well, so he has versatility to add to his resume

Can he tho? He's looked pretty damn out of place there at the senior bowl. 

Just stick to what we do best and get interior OL later. JPJ isn't going to be worth his draft slot. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Can he tho? He's looked pretty damn out of place there at the senior bowl. 

Just stick to what we do best and get interior OL later. JPJ isn't going to be worth his draft slot. 

No, he is worth more than that though, not less.

36 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He's looked pretty damn out of place there at the senior bowl

I don't think the Senior Bowl really sets up guys to succeed:  different coachews, different teammates, different playbook, etc.

You notice when someone looks great, but when someone struggles it doesn't invalidate what you put on tape.

28 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think the Senior Bowl really sets up guys to succeed:  different coachews, different teammates, different playbook, etc.

You notice when someone looks great, but when someone struggles it doesn't invalidate what you put on tape.

His on field tape doesn't look like he'd be a good guard either, at least in our system. He's not great in space. I don't think he's meant for us. 

• Like 2