2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

His on field tape doesn't look like he'd be a good guard either, at least in our system. He's not great in space. I don't think he's meant for us. 

from PFF

C JACKSON POWERS-JOHNSON, OREGON

Powers-Johnson has been the best player at the Senior Bowl through two days. He was one of the top interior offensive linemen going into the week and has not only matched expectations, but exceeded them. He showed up at 335 pounds, which is big for a center, but he still is fast on his feet with power and patience. He feels like a first-round player because of his dominance against all pass rushers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Trevor Sikkema
I cannot say enough say impressive
@oregonfootball

OL Jackson Powers-Johnson has been. Dominating at center and guard. Wins consistently with power, but here he shows the patience and quickness, too. Not sure he’s lost a 1-on-1 rep all week

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

pff

C JACKSON POWERS-JOHNSON, OREGON

Powers-Johnson has been the best player at the Senior Bowl through two days. He was one of the top interior offensive linemen going into the week and has not only matched expectations, but exceeded them. He showed up at 335 pounds, which is big for a center, but he still is fast on his feet with power and patience. He feels like a first-round player because of his dominance against all pass rushers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trevor Sikkema
I cannot say enough say impressive
@oregonfootball

OL Jackson Powers-Johnson has been. Dominating at center and guard. Wins consistently with power, but here he shows the patience and quickness, too. Not sure he’s lost a 1-on-1 rep all week

None of this debunks his issue in space on tape. He's slow in space. He's great in a phone booth, nobody doubts that. Let him be someone else's problem. Get your IOL later where the value lines up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

None of this debunks his issue in space on tape. He's slow in space. He's great in a phone booth, nobody doubts that. Let him be someone else's problem. Get your IOL later where the value lines up. 

On the contrary, get someone who can go against huge D linemen and move them, someone who doesn't need help to block a guy opposite, someone who can create a hole for the RB. I say he is a value pick even at #25. It's obvious I really like him and you don't.....I guess we will find out who is closer to the truth, after the draft.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

I’m not the biggest Kinchens fan myself, but I wonder if Gute/Hafley won’t see him as the prototypical single high guy. I’m a bigger Nubin guy overall, who I think is more versatile than some of the bloggers think, but if GB is looking to fill what might be our single biggest hole/impediment from implementing Hafley’s optimal defense, Kinchens feels more like what they’ll be looking for. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

On the contrary, get someone who can go against huge D linemen and move them, someone who doesn't need help to block a guy opposite, someone who can create a hole for the RB. I say he is a value pick even at #25. It's obvious I really like him and you don't.....I guess we will find out who is closer to the truth, after the draft.

We have a system we run. You don't just plug non-fits in and hope for the best. If JPJ can't get it done in space, he's not cut out for MLF. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Decisive. Instinctual. Big hitter. Good tackler. Takes good angles. Curious to see how high he goes and where. 

He'll go early-mid round 2. There's isn't a round 1 safety prospect this year. Going to be a battle between Nubin and Kinchens for #1 (if you consider DeJean a CB) and they'll be somewhere from 35-50 on most top prospect boards. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Like with @Isherwood   Kinchens is not the guy I particularly love, but he might be the safety the Packers need if they are moving to a lot of single high looks.

If we truly are in a SB window....single high safety is one that you should probably buy in free agency to get around the on the job training stuff.

I'm not saying anything about Kinchens, one way or the other.  Just a philosophical thing.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If we truly are in a SB window....single high safety is one that you should probably buy in free agency to get around the on the job training stuff.

I'm not saying anything about Kinchens, one way or the other.  Just a philosophical thing.

This is a very good point. If you can find one. Hell, if it’s that vital to the Hafley defense, trade for one. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

This is a very good point. If you can find one. Hell, if it’s that vital to the Hafley defense, trade for one. 

Yup.  Leave no stone unturned.

I'm not opposed to a rookie, either.  Just pointing out that if it is that important, let's sign or trade for, a vet.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:13 PM, persiandud said:

we will sign Geno Stone and take a nickel corner in the 1st round 

Yes Geno Stone is the answer

Dude thrived when he covered the FS spot while Williams was hurt. And the Ravens have a ton of free agents and little cap flexibility.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 12:00 AM, squire12 said:

Arnold and Mitchell are very much in play at pick 25 IMO

from SI

Mitchell was already getting first-round buzz coming into the week, but his performance in Mobile might have him challenging for the CB1 spot in this year's class. From his first 1-on-1 rep, Mitchell was clearly here to make a statement, and the message was received loud and clear.

A highly productive player with all the physical traits to be a shutdown corner at the next level, Mitchell is absolutely in the conversation with Clemson's Nate Wiggins and Alabama's duo of Terrion Arnold and Kool-Aid McKinstry as the top corner in this draft.

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

It's a great year to be looking for a free agent center-fielder. There's a few strong cut candidates right now too. 

Justin Simmons and Geno Stone are my preferred options right now.

• Like 2