2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just thought that it was a year too early.  Not that I had my eye on any future QBs after that, or any kind of contingency. Or that I really had any knock against Love.  Just that I thought that the time to move on from Rodgers didn't really take advantage of the rookie's cheap years.  And I was kind of right.  Assuming everything else plays out similarly, we would still be looking for a QB now, or possibly be trying to pass the reins over to Will Levis or Sam Howell.

I thought that as well.  

But I also thought that Rodgers could play in the MLF offense until he was 50 so long as he trained his legs and core hard in the off-season.

And then his footspeed became so poor that he needed to be in the gun most of the time.

Course, with hindsight, there weren't a lot of good QB prospects that fell to our pick since we took Love.  It's like our front office does a good job scouting players and knowing what classes will be good for certain positions year out from when the draft happens.

(Excluding Purdy)

21 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am not 100% sure what this is intended to mean, but I expect Gute's board probaby does change as he makes his picks. Once LVN was selected last year, I think similar players in the higher tiers were probably pushed down the board. In general, I don't think "need" is totally excluded from the process of setting the draft board, so when the need changes, the board does too. 

As an extreme example, I doubt Gute will have players like QB's Williams and Maye in his top tiers for this draft.  Mostly because he won't bother putting much time into scouting them.  In a different universe where GB went 1-15 and Love was terrible, I assume one of them would be at the top of his board.

I think they do put some time into those guys knowing they could be available in a trade or cut in a few years.  A guy like Favre for example was given up by Atlanta after a year.  It's better to get too much data on these guys than not enough.  Agree, they won't put as much time into some players as others, but I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good profile on many of those top guys.  They can pick and choose which workouts they attend but you never know when/if those guys could become available to acquire.

Edited by NFLGURU

I never thought it was a bad pick, and had questions about how good he could become even during part of this year.  We were talking about the 26th pick in the draft with a slight trade up.  That's peanuts.  Even if he bombed, it was worth the risk if they liked him that much.  Credit Gute, look at what these teams give up in draft picks (multiple firsts) to get the Trubisky's, Trey Lance's, RGIII's.  You get your QB at 26 and it lit a fire under Rodgers.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Know the worst part about watching Bucky Irving highlights is trying to wrap your head around the 435343434 different uniforms that Oregon wears.  

You can play for Oregon for 4 years and never wear the same uniform twice with plenty of combinations to spare.  The challenge for them is coming up with something new they don't have already.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:39 AM, 15412 said:

I'm a big K-State fan and Ben is going to have a long NFL career.  I would never compare him to Deguara, that's slight.  Yes they both were used all over the field in college, fullback, H back, wideout, TE, slot.  Big diff i Ben is an NFL TE and can still do all of the other things if called upon while being a good ST player and move in ready to block type guy.   We're deep at TE so it's unlikely he'll end up in GB but I'd be really happy if he did.  Honestly if he did he might end up our best overall TE.

Does Ben smoke cigs and drink a bush light on a truck bed in the off-season? 

if not, good luck beating Kraft out.

https://x.com/hoggnfl/status/1751332972127514846?s=46&t=fptgYtQ-rJhbexsz_O7tFQ

Edited by Arthur Penske

7 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i'm really liking Edgerrin Cooper if we want to draft a ILB in the 2nd round 

I like him a lot as well, but I keep hearing there are some character concerns.  Not sure what it entails, but I've heard it multiple times now. 

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I like him a lot as well, but I keep hearing there are some character concerns.  Not sure what it entails, but I've heard it multiple times now. 

GOOD 

Cooper and Walker , two unhinged flying LBs lmao let's do it 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I still think this guy has "Packers" written all over him.  I'm cool with a trade up for him.  I don't think he's going super high ..maybe late teens, early 20's.  

He would be the Zach Tom of the defensive secondary. Plug him in wherever you need him. 

24 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

He would be the Zach Tom of the defensive secondary. Plug him in wherever you need him. 

great at zone. would have been perfect in Barry's scheme actually lol 

I think he could be there at 25. he'd be a good fit as our slot corner