2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

7 minutes ago, spilltray said:

At a certain level that to me would include flat earthers and "birds aren't real", I don't want to make their teammates have to deal with that on a daily basis.

I suppose that really depends on how much they are into that.  I don't really care if the dude is a flat-Earther if he can do his job. I very much doubt he introduces himself, then immediately follows up with, "and did you know space isn't real?" Do you care that the guy that stocks the shelves at the grocery store is really into bigfoot? Or that your accountant is a young-Earth creationist? IMO it just doesn't matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I suppose that really depends on how much they are into that.  I don't really care if the dude is a flat-Earther if he can do his job. I very much doubt he introduces himself, then immediately follows up with, "and did you know space isn't real?" Do you care that the guy that stocks the shelves at the grocery store is really into bigfoot? Or that your accountant is a young-Earth creationist? IMO it just doesn't matter.

No one wants to be in class with the kid who eats paste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Its really not that difficult to put on Dejean highlights and see traits that would make an elite safety.

I see him like a Minkah Fitzpatrick coming out.  Minka, coming out, was a safety that could also play corner.

Dejean is a corner that can also play safety.  So they are flip flopped.

But man, his instincts, eyes and intelligence make him very intriguing as a safety that can easily come up to play the run, go 1:1 with a TE or even a slot WR.

Has anyone even asked him if he's interested in playing safety? Couldn't he make a lot more money playing CB?

51 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

FS is the position we are drafting Calen Bullock to play. 

If I had to state which uninspiring safety is my favorite in this class, it would be him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Has anyone even asked him if he's interested in playing safety? Couldn't he make a lot more money playing CB?

I know that I have not.

Rookie contracts, as you know, are slotted.  Second contract?  Probably corner is paid more.  But if you are a good safety, you are getting paid.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Like I said before, I just think he moves like Micah Hyde, who was a good safety and a horrible corner.  I don't care if he is blue...  Just kidding, I am racist against blue people.

Dude, he would run circles around Micah Hyde.  Hyde had a 4.65 40 coming out.  DeJean is thought to be sub 4.4.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

This is what tolerance looks like people.

Get him!

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I know that I have not.

Rookie contracts, as you know, are slotted.  Second contract?  Probably corner is paid more.  But if you are a good safety, you are getting paid.  

Right now top 5 safeties are paid 16-19M average salary. Corners are 19-21M. 

6 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

This is what tolerance looks like people.

Get him!

Being a flat earther, he would probably freak out when playing on a field with a noticeable crown. 

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If I had to state which uninspiring safety is my favorite in this class, it would be him.

He's got ball skills which is important for a deep safety. He can also catch, which is unusual. I think he plays faster than he tests. 

21 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Being a flat earther, he would probably freak out when playing on a field with a noticeable crown. 

I really do like messing with flat earthers asking them to explain mountains.  They get all confused because that isn't what they are talking about, but then I tell them that they are the ones that said it was flat, and I sure did visit Denver and it was not flat.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

There actually are good reasons for this. How many combines to the white kids run 4.4 or under and wow in the agility drills? The few times it happens they happen to be WRs. 

But how does this explain how there are a bunch of good WRs who are white dudes in NFL history (Cooper Kupp, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Adam Thielen, Don Beebe, Steve Largent, Don Hutson, Fred Biletnikoff, etc.)  I mean it's not like Don Beebe of "Don Beebe's House of Speed" was not fast.

It's more insidious than "white guy isn't fast".  You have to look at why a high school coach might have looked at two guys who are both fast and skinny and decided one was a DB and one was a WR.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

But how does this explain how there are a bunch of good WRs who are white dudes in NFL history (Cooper Kupp, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, Adam Thielen, Don Beebe, Steve Largent, Don Hutson, Fred Biletnikoff, etc.)  I mean it's not like Don Beebe of "Don Beebe's House of Speed" was not fast.

It's more insidious than "white guy isn't fast".  You have to look at why a high school coach might have looked at two guys who are both fast and skinny and decided one was a DB and one was a WR.

Can you imagine any of those guys playing CB though?

Looking at all the players that are refusing to do combine stuff the situation as it is, is ridiculous. 

The NFL has worked hard to turn the combine into a media event as part of its commitment to make the NFL a tear round thing. However, whether this is instituted by agents or players, the whole event has been circumvented. It cannot continue like this.

Either the combine (or something similar) will become an event players must do, or it will die. The combine is relatively useless if players only do the tests they are best at, and refuse the others.