2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Just sit back and take Jaylen Wright or Bucky Irving in the 4th round.

Ah, but since the Packers lost their 5th rounder, we need round 4 for the Ohio St. TE Cade Stover, the future blocking TE. He was also a 4 star linebacker and a good special teamer, to round out his resume.

Of course the Packers might get back into round five, who knows what the future holds.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

When was the last time a clear #1 prospect returned to college for his senior year because he didn't want to play for the team picking #1?  Remember when Andrew Luck was going to return to college?  Or Trevor Lawrence?  I'm pretty sure even Myles Garrett had some rumblings about returning to A&M during the process.  They rarely ever return to college.

When was the last time they could get paid a 7 or 8 figure salary to return?

John Elway forced his way to a new team.  The Packers lost a draft choice to Canada.  Jim Kelly went to the USFL.

NIL gives players a new alternative, especially if they can get insurance against injury.  It gives the potential #1 pick leverage in the process.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

43 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

John Elway forced his way to a new team.  The Packers lost a draft choice to Canada.  Jim Kelly went to the USFL.

NIL gives players a new alternative, especially if they can get insurance against injury.  It gives the potential #1 pick leverage in the process.

Bruce Clark got more money in Canada I do believe. Jim Kelly got a LOT more money to join the USFL. There is also the possibility of injury when returning that can turn your draft status into a freefall. 

Having said that, I don't see anyway Caleb Williams returns. I could see Shedeur return though because I think he could improve his draft position. I don't think he's as polished as he should or could be. 

Edited by Old Guy

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Bruce Clark got more money in Canada I do believe. Jim Kelly got a LOT more money to join the USFL. There is also the possibility of injury when returning that can turn your draft status into a freefall. 

Having said that, I don't see anyway Caleb Williams returns. I could see Shedeur return though because I think he could improve his draft position. I don't think he's as polished as he should or could be. 

Both Clark and Kelly have said they did’t want t play where they were drafted.  Clark didn’t want to play nose in a 3-4, and Kelly didn’t like Buffalo .

But yes, you are right- they did get more money to go elsewhere as well.  Which is kind of the point.    If a collective can throw enough money to a top player it gives them an option and some leverage they previously didn’t have.

Not saying it will happen, but without some rules being applied to these collectives financing college players , I don’t think anybody knows what will happen.

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Both Clark and Kelly have said they did’t want t play where they were drafted.  Clark didn’t want to play nose in a 3-4, and Kelly didn’t like Buffalo .

But yes, you are right- they did get more money to go elsewhere as well.  Which is kind of the point.    If a collective can throw enough money to a top player it gives them an option and some leverage they previously didn’t have.

Not saying it will happen, but without some rules being applied to these collectives financing college players , I don’t think anybody knows what will happen.

Kelly didnt want to play in Buffalo? Funny given how his career played out.

If Caleb Williams retirns to USC, assuming he would  be the $1 overall pick,  he would be "turning down" ...

-- signing bonus around $29.5M

-- around $15M in base salary over 4 years on his rookie contract

It also gets him 1 year closer to a 2nd contract which in 4 years, a mid- level QB is probably 4 years for $200M with $100+M signing bonus

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If Caleb Williams retirns to USC, assuming he would  be the $1 overall pick,  he would be "turning down" ...

-- signing bonus around $29.5M

-- around $15M in base salary over 4 years on his rookie contract

It also gets him 1 year closer to a 2nd contract which in 4 years, a mid- level QB is probably 4 years for $200M with $100+M signing bonus

He's not turning it down per se, he's delaying it a year. The risks associated with that are something, he and his family have to weigh. 

I think he's coming out, 100%. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He's not turning it down per se, he's delaying it a year. The risks associated with that are something, he and his family have to weigh. 

Just to clarify, I think he does as well.  In my original post that started this off, my point was that I don’’r Think it is that clear for Sanders.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

That's why i put "turning it down" in quotes.

Lets say after rhis football season , Williams has 15 more years to play.  

1 college + 14 nfl..... or 15 nfl.

He would be trading 2024 NIL money for his last season NFL QB contract money at potentially over $50M

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

According to ON3's evaluation, there are only 26 college athletes with NIL values of $1M+.  Of those 26, 19 of those are CFB players.  Of those 19, only 3 (Travis Hunter, MHJ, and Evan Stewart) are non-QBs.  The notion that players are getting 7 or 8 figure NIL deals isn't real.

And you managed to mention 2 guys who entered the league in 1983.  That's well before the advent of the rookie cap, and that's nearly 40 years ago.  In no recent years (let's say last 15 years) has a player returned to college after being the consensus #1 overall pick.  The "closet" comparison to what you're arguing is when Brian Brohm returned to Louisville for his senior year after he was favored to be the top pick.  And even then, I'd argue he would have had to contend with JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Calvin Johnson for the top pick in the draft.