2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's unlikely we trade back for another 3rd round pick.  Right now, we're slotted to pick 41, 58, 88, and 91 on Day 2.  I'm not going to say never, but it just doesn't seem likely that we're going to get yet another Day 2 pick.

I hear you, but a counter-argument is that were Gute to trade down from #25 and acquire yet "another Day 2 pick" doesn't mean he keeps it (i.e., doesn't later use it to make a trade up on Day 2). Gute had mentioned in a recent presser that they had the picks to "move around the board". Though it is near impossible to predict what Gute does, I do wonder if he indeed will try to "move around the board" quite a bit both up and down in this coming draft. Fwiw, I think picks between 40-80 is the sweet spot in this draft.

5 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Looks like I'm one of the few that thinks Edgerrin Cooper is a legitimate target at #25.    I understand people's concerns over his fit with Quay, but #1- I think he's a better prospect coming out than Quay and #2- I think they can coexist just fine.   I'd make Walker the Mike and Cooper the Will but could be interchangeable.  Quay did a lot of the dirty work at Georgia taking on blocks and filling holes and until Cooper has a year or two to add 10lbs, will be the bigger body.  McKinney is going to have the green dot anyway so both Walker and Cooper can just play fast and instinctive.

i'm with you. love Cooper, he's the best off ball linebacker. the only question i have is whether Quay can play the MIKE  (because Cooper is definitely going to be a WILL) but with Quays body type and watching Campbell do it for a while i think he'll be fine there 

12 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

I guess DeJean may have been the secret reason we got rid of Jones, so he could get #33. After all, #3 is retired. I wondered how he'd look with #43, and I can't even remember the last guy who wore that number for this team.

MD Jennings erasure

We are trading all our picks for picks in 2025. 

That 2025 draft is going to be a 4 day commercial for Green Bay and the Packers. And we'll have 18 picks plus comp picks.  Constant draft coverage of Green Bay galore, and live shots of Murphy at the sled hill.  

Follow the plan.:ph34r:

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, R T said:

Lol, just playing a game of semantics now. 

Telling yah, I'd love to live in a world where my team has a (checks notes) 5'th WR who is considered a roster lock.

Because that is one helluva deep WR room!  And maybe?  Maybe I'm living in that world?  Well, that'll brighten my day.

Don't care much about semantics one way or the other, I'm just thrilled with our WR as it sits today.  If Melton isn't there, that means we drafted another stud.  Win/Win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I've been an advocate for this strategy for months. It makes all the sense in the world.

Packers have a deep roster with lots of young talent, and relatively few glaring needs. What needs they do have are at expensive positions that could use an influx of top end, round one type talent. With the most draft capital this season, they can afford to consolidate a bit and move up for impact starters.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Drafting Guyton with the intent of kicking someone else inside is a go-to move when I do the mock sims 

Not me.  Not for Guyton, not for Mims.

I'd draft them (or other developmental tackles), and let them sit, learn and train for one year.  They play only if injury strikes.  Then in year two, I let them compete.  And in the back of my head, if one of them is a pure RT, I'm moving Tom to LT and trading Walker.

If one of them is more of a LT, I'm really hoping Walker balls out and I'm trading him.

Course, that means the tackle has to actually be good and not a John Michels or whoever that second round tackle was we drafted who busted.  Or Sherrod that got hurt.  But I don't want to play them right away.

If I take a guy like Fautanu?  (Washington) or Barton?  I'd be looking to see if they can play guard right away.  I know Fautanu can, I think Barton can.  But if we are picking late, I'm wanting a kid that I know I can flip inside right away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Seen a lot of speculation on us drafting someone to upgrade RG early. Does everybody hate the idea of drafting a tackle early and kicking Tom inside?

I want to see this happen just so I can watch @HighCalebR lose his **** when GB bumps Tom inside rather than removing Walker from the starting 5.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It seems like they are set at RT with Tom.  Gute seems open to a switch, but I think I the coaching staff seems pretty locked in with Tom at RT and Myers at C.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers snag Jackson Powers Johnson if he's available at #25.  Myers is a FA next year I believe and I can't imagine they want to hand him a big deal.  

I can.  Not a market resetting deal, but I can definitely see GB signing Myers to a 2nd contract.  I very much think the GB coaches and FO like Myers way more than GB fans do, and I expect they'll want to do what they can to keep the OL intact for this SB window GB is already in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I can.  Not a market resetting deal, but I can definitely see GB signing Myers to a 2nd contract.  I very much think the GB coaches and FO like Myers way more than GB fans do, and I expect they'll want to do what they can to keep the OL intact for this SB window GB is already in.

I agree. And I don’t know how much this matters, but Jordan Love LOVES Josh Myers. 

40 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I agree. And I don’t know how much this matters, but Jordan Love LOVES Josh Myers. 

C'mon now.  Let's keep Jordan's lifestyle choices out of this discussion.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

C'mon now.  Let's keep Jordan's lifestyle choices out of this discussion.

Dude, its 1999, you can be who you want to be.

Giving Myers 10 million per puts him right about 8th at center.  If you give him 5 million per, he would be right around 15th.  There are only a couple really high dollar center contracts.  IMO, if you have a good center, pay him his second contract and don't worry about it.  Myers isn't the best, but he also isn't the worst.  It isn't a hole on the roster, no need to make it one by trying to replace a guy that is more than fine.

• Like 4