2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

I mean, the Packers hold 126, 169, 202, 219, 245, and 255.  That's a lot of day 3 picks in a draft where the consensus is that Day 3 isn't that deep.  So it's  just as likely that the Packers are at a pro day to get a better look at a guy they like in Day 3 than any of the guys who are projected top 50 picks who are present.

• Like 1

I created a RAS cheat sheet in excel so I don’t need to look up RAS cards one by one. Includes position, RAS score, school, height, weight, 40 time, etc etc. It pulls RAS scores straight from ras.football and the combine info from PFF and puts it all in one nice table. The PFF data is from March 6 so does not include any pro day info - haven’t been able to find a good source for that. All RAS cards are linked so you can easily see if my sheet is missing any data for a guy. 

I then split the table out by position group and did color scales on each testing category. 

Just a quick, visual way to identify potential picks when you’re doing your mocks. Is easier for me than searching each guy one by one. If anybody is interested, I’d gladly sent it to you. Or if there is a better way to share excel docs than email, show me the way lol.

Edited by sgtcheezwiz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Regarding drafting Slot Corners early, ACME Packing Company website has poured cold water on this possibility just by looking at Nixon's contract.

No disrespect, but the argument in their article is a total strawman. In no way is Nixon just a slot corner. He's also a kick returner and ST gunner. So their logic is already off by suggesting his $6m AAV ranks him third amongst players who are "only" slot defenders.

40 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, the Packers hold 126, 169, 202, 219, 245, and 255.  That's a lot of day 3 picks in a draft where the consensus is that Day 3 isn't that deep.  So it's  just as likely that the Packers are at a pro day to get a better look at a guy they like in Day 3 than any of the guys who are projected top 50 picks who are present.

Right now, it seems logical to trade back in the first and up in the third. 

Our 4th should be enough to move from 88 to around the 70th pick. 

13 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Right now, it seems logical to trade back in the first and up in the third. 

Our 4th should be enough to move from 88 to around the 70th pick. 

I don't like trading a 4th when our 4th round picks have included studs like Bakh, Mike Daniels, Doubs, and Zach Tom. I shouldn't have to remind anyone that our 3rd round picks have been a disaster dating back to 2010 with the exception of Tucker Kraft. If we're trading up to the top of the 3rd, I'd rather we use pick 91 and our 3rd from 2025 knowing it'll be late in the round receiving a late 5th or early 6th from either this year or next. 

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Late Day 3 picks are generally used to lock down guys you don't want to risk trying to lock down in UDFA. However, I think this year could be different TBH given our depth at the skill positions. Some of those late Day 3 picks in packages to move up somewhere or to pick up a higher pick when moving down(ie: picks 91, 219 and 255 for picks 113 and 165 with Baltimore); especially with a deep OL class. 

I wouldn't undervalue 3rd-day picks. 

Last year Valentine in 7th (starting CB), Johnson in 7th (possible a significant rotation guy in the safety group), Wicks in 5th, Carlson in 6th, Brooks in 6th, Wooden in 4th.  

Two drafts ago Rasheed in 7th, Enagbare 5th, Doubs and Tom 4th.  

3 draft ago McDuffie 6th, now a starter; and Slaton in 5th.  

$30/3 Runyan was 6th round the draft before that.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, craig said:

Last year Valentine in 7th (starting CB), Johnson in 7th (possible a significant rotation guy in the safety group), Wicks in 5th, Carlson in 6th, Brooks in 6th, Wooden in 4th.  

Two drafts ago Rasheed in 7th, Enagbare 5th, Doubs and Tom 4th.  

3 draft ago McDuffie 6th, now a starter; and Slaton in 5th.  

$30/3 Runyan was 6th round the draft before that.   

Yeah I think it's just as important to have darts in the late rounds as anything. ~10 picks a draft gives you a pretty decent chance to find the 3-4 prospects that makes a successful draft.

The draft is fun because these guys are all really good athletes and they're all humans. The difference between a 1st and 7th isn't that much. Circumstance effects a lot of these guys. From production in college to how they perform in the pros. 1 special coach can make something click for a prospect. Maybe a high end guy never takes to coaching. 

When I used to spend way more time looking at prospects. My favorite guys to "find" were the 5th- UDFA gems. Lotta good football players in there.

Too long of a post to say, I agree.

Edited by HighCalebR

35 minutes ago, Rosser80 said:

I don't like trading a 4th when our 4th round picks have included studs like Bakh, Mike Daniels, Doubs, and Zach Tom. I shouldn't have to remind anyone that our 3rd round picks have been a disaster dating back to 2010 with the exception of Tucker Kraft. If we're trading up to the top of the 3rd, I'd rather we use pick 91 and our 3rd from 2025 knowing it'll be late in the round receiving a late 5th or early 6th from either this year or next. 

Yeah I'm going to assume Gute doesn't have the same feelings about the 4th>3rd round meme.

There's been some useful players in the 3rd through the years as well. A good amount of those guys played out their contracts with the team. I know we want more from the round, but it hasn't been as disastrous as the joke makes out.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, craig said:

19 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah I think it's just as important to have darts in the late rounds as anything.

I'm a pretty firm believer in getting/using as many picks as you can late. Basically, you can expect next to nothing from a pick from like #150 on.

If you can get multiple picks for trading back from that point on you're probably better off IMO.

If youre blindfolded and throwing darts  you're probably as likely to randomly hit a bullseye haphazardly tossing a handful of darts as you are really focusing on three shots.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I am not certain that is the case on this team, with this DC, when a single high safety seems to be a key part of his defensive strategy. It isn't isn't easy to find guys that can play that position well and the harder it is to find that guy, the more value he has. 

Corner has traditionally been more valuable, but here and now I am not so sure that is the case for the Packers. Can McKinney play single high at an NFL level ?

you think we paid all that money for a box safety? 

yes, McKinney is able to play single high. he played something like 400 snaps for the Giants in that position this past season, if i'm not mistaken

DeJean didn't even play safety in college. if we drafted him, he'd be our starting slot nickel (yes i'm assuming he's better than Nixon lol) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Hmm.  Why not both?

i hear you! i love dejean because of his versatility. but on this team he'd be our starting nickel corner, not a safety. that doesn't mean we can't be versatile with him though, and have some looks where he's the FS, or the SS, or even on the boundary. he's sick, i hope we get him! 

21 minutes ago, persiandud said:

you think we paid all that money for a box safety? 

yes, McKinney is able to play single high. he played something like 400 snaps for the Giants in that position this past season, if i'm not mistaken

DeJean didn't even play safety in college. if we drafted him, he'd be our starting slot nickel (yes i'm assuming he's better than Nixon lol) 

No. He didn't. That's a bad count. That's his reps as "FS" which includes 2 high snaps and C6 where he split between middle and field side 3rd. He shines playing in the box, he's good deep.  But it's not like he's earl or nick playing sideline to sideline. 

He can play a deep third though just fine for sure. And I think you can put him back there and not worry or if you want to throw a disguise he'll perform fine dropping back and he sees the field very well.

He was best when he was paired with Pinnock who Wink could play around with making them more interchangeable.

Under the 2 previous DCs he played deep more. Under Wink, where his breakout season happened  the majority of his snaps come down low.

Edited by HighCalebR

4 hours ago, Chili said:

Regarding drafting Slot Corners early, ACME Packing Company website has poured cold water on this possibility just by looking at Nixon's contract.

lmfao i genuinely don't understand this contract. sigh...

yea, this unfortunately makes it less likely DeJean is drafted by us

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I wouldn't go that far to say that Day 3 isn't going to bring some quality players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't go that far to say that Day 3 isn't going to bring some quality players.

No doubt.  Really hate trading away picks.  Gute has been really nailing his late rounders lately.  Never know who is going to fall through the cracks.