2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

4 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think that's where they'll go.  Depending on where they draft, any medical issues, and his combine numbers.  Regardless of who the QB is, you gotta get that OL fixed.

A good chance he is a target and should be a fairly safe pick - but maybe a more interesting question is, would you be happy with OT Latham or Fuaga, if Alt is already off the board (and let us assume that there no decent trade down offers, so you have to take someone at that pick).

5 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Just considering the Steelers, and, yes, hindsight is 20/20, but they could have had Broderick Jones and Darnell Washington. Oh well...

Right now I'd definitely like to have those two over LVN and Kraft.  We'll see how it turns out in the next few years.  I think there were a lot of questions about Washington's health.  He might not have been on our board due to a medical red flag.  I thought the pick at #13 was going to be Jones, but wasn't at all surprised when I saw it was LVN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

A good chance he is a target and should be a fairly safe pick - but maybe a more interesting question is, would you be happy with OT Latham or Fuaga, if Alt is already off the board (and let us assume that there no decent trade down offers, so you have to take someone at that pick).

Not where we are likely to draft. IF we are 17 or later, I'd take one of those two.

38 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

This is a loaded OT class. There's no need to take one high when you can get a very good one into the second round.

There are two dudes who appear to be head and shoulders above the others. Both of those guys are ready to step in, day one, at LT and be very good. 

It doesn't matter how many, 'good ones,' there are when you can get a potentially great one, you do it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

There are two dudes who appear to be head and shoulders above the others. Both of those guys are ready to step in, day one, at LT and be very good. 

It doesn't matter how many, 'good ones,' there are when you can get a potentially great one, you do it. 

Tell that to the GMs that drafted Ikem Ekwonu, Evan Neal, Trevor Penning, Alex Leatherwood, Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills, Mekhi Becton, Isaiah Wilson, and Tytus Howard in recent years.

3 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

Tell that to the GMs that drafted Ikem Ekwonu, Evan Neal, Trevor Penning, Alex Leatherwood, Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills, Mekhi Becton, Isaiah Wilson, and Tytus Howard in recent years.

Most of those guys were drafted in the back half of the first round. One, Neal was rated close to what these two guys are but not as highly rated. 

Also, if one of them were to slide to us at say, 6, they would be much higher rated than anybody else on the board and miles ahead of the next OT. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Most of those guys were drafted in the back half of the first round. One, Neal was rated close to what these two guys are but not as highly rated. 

Also, if one of them were to slide to us at say, 6, they would be much higher rated than anybody else on the board and miles ahead of the next OT. 

Except Bowers. If the Packers are picking at six and Bowers is available, he's going to be the highest rated player. 

If Bowers is gone, then I would hope the Packers are looking to trade down and get their OT later in round one. There's too many good ones available to take one at six.

1 hour ago, Tperk said:

Bowers will not be drafted by Green Bay in the top 8 picks if that's where we end up. Not after grabbing Musgrave in round 2 last year.

I don't think they would either, but it'd be the smart move if they did. You could build a passing game around those two, and they compliment each other extremely well. 

The 2011 Pats went 13-3, had the #2 ranked offense, and made the Super Bowl with Gronk catching 90 balls and Hernandez catching 79. You could do a lot worse than throwing the ball to a couple massive mismatches. 

That said I would expect Gute to do the "safe" [not actually safe] thing and go OL.

Edited by ReasonablySober

6 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Tell that to the GMs that drafted Kyle Pitts, TJ Hockenson, Noah Fans, Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard, Evan Engram, and David Njoku in the first round the last several years.  See, I can phrase the same faulty logic just switching positions.

The problem is you're ASSUMING that Bowers will have a Gronkowski-like impact, and that Alt/Fashanu are going to be some solid albeit not great starting LTs.  You're also assuming that you'll get a similar (albeit probably lesser) version later in the draft, while you're assuming that the quality of TEs drafted later won't be as good.  That's a LOT of assumptions.  Look at the most productive TEs this year.  You've got TJ Hockenson (8th), Travis Kelce (63rd), George Kittle (146th), Mark Andrews (86th), and Sam LaPorta (34th) as the most productive TEs.  Of those guys, only TJ Hockenson was a FRP and he was traded from Detroit to Minnesota before his rookie contract expired.  The team that used a top 10 pick on a TE dealt him for a SRP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

I don't think they would either, but it'd be the smart move if they did. You could build a passing game around those two, and they compliment each other extremely well. 

The 2011 Pats went 13-3, had the #2 ranked offense, and made the Super Bowl with Gronk catching 90 balls and Hernandez catching 79. You could do a lot worse than throwing the ball to a couple massive mismatches. 

That said I would expect Gute to do the "safe" [not actually safe] thing and go OL.

The Patriots effectively only threw the ball to 4 players (Gronk, Hernandez, Deion Branch, and Wes Welker).  Those 4 accounted for nearly 82% of the total passes thrown by Tom Brady (and technically Brian Hoyer).   Chad Johnson/Ochocino was 5th on the team in targets at 32 targets.  After 9 games, the Packers currently have 4 players with more than 32 targets.  They've got an additional 2 players that are within 5 targets of 32 targets.  And that's after 9 games.  I mean, if you want to tell me you're absolutely confident that the Packers have a QB like Tom Brady and that Bowers and Musgrave are the second coming of Gronk and Hernandez, sure.  I'm all about that.

7 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

Except Bowers. If the Packers are picking at six and Bowers is available, he's going to be the highest rated player. 

If Bowers is gone, then I would hope the Packers are looking to trade down and get their OT later in round one. There's too many good ones available to take one at six.

Yo DB/RS, welcome to FF, over from RealGM?!  It’s Lippo

ps wont take Bowers we just drafted 2 TEs…

Edited by fattlipp