2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Can't wait to find the drafts biggest busts after the Bears and Vikings draft them.

NFL Draft Profile: Caleb Williams, Quarterback, USC Trojans - Visit NFL ...

Sadly, I don't think he will bust, but if there is an organization who can screw it up, it's the Bears. 

Who is J.J. McCarthy? Meet Michigan's hyped QB1 hoping to build on Tom ...

Edited by Old Guy

On 4/15/2024 at 11:57 AM, Mdpackfan22 said:

I will die on the hill that Clay should of been moved inside full time and he would of been an all pro ILB well into his 30s

Glad to see. I'm not the only one who feels that way

9 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

They were both hamstrung by crap "bend don't break" defenses with one or two guys who had to shoulder all the work. The 2011 team is part-n-parcel proof of this...

Are you kidding? Favre's SB win was with one of the best defenses we've seen. Anchored with Reggie White and Leroy Butler. IIRC they were #1 in the league.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

Except we did in certain sub-packages where he blitzed off B-gap, which worked for exactly 3 games and then we never saw it again...

I get it though...kind of annoying IMO.

They were both hamstrung by crap "bend don't break" defenses with one or two guys who had to shoulder all the work. The 2011 team is part-n-parcel proof of this...

Yes, it was definitely the defenses that caused issues for Favre not the sub 1:1 TD:TO ratio in his last decade as a Packer. 

13 hours ago, The Truth said:

what's the pour?

Probably Stagg.  Actually?  J Mattingly single barrel.  That one is open and one of the best I've ever tasted.  My Stagg bottles are still collecting dust being just "eye candy" right now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Are you kidding? Favre's SB win was with one of the best defenses we've seen. Anchored with Reggie White and Leroy Butler. IIRC they were #1 in the league.

I think he means in seasons post SB wins for both Favre and Rodgers.  

And I was just thinking.  We have a lot of really weird playoff losses. 

53 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

That was a very underrated defense.  At the time, they had set some kind of NFL defense record that season but I don't recall exactly what it was. Points? TDs allowed? Yards allowed?

That defense doesn't get the credit it should.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think he means in seasons post SB wins for both Favre and Rodgers.  

And I was just thinking.  We have a lot of really weird playoff losses. 

In general, I think it's fair to say the GB defense has been the biggest issue, but there have been exceptions.  I can only shake my head when GB fans still want to pin the 2021 playoff loss vs SF on the defense.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In general, I think it's fair to say the GB defense has been the biggest issue, but there have been exceptions.  I can only shake my head when GB fans still want to pin the 2021 playoff loss vs SF on the defense.

I still think that if Bakhtiari doesn't shred his knee we have at least one, possibly two more championships.  I honestly blame the coaching staff more than anyone.  Had the team playing way too tight.  And IIRC an OL alignment that they had never used before.  And it is further frustrating that when the defense FINALLY holds up its end of the bargain, they can't move the ball at all.  

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

I do believe that team is the only team in NFL history to lead the league in scoring offense and scoring defense (points against). If my memory serves me correctly. 

Reggie White - Santana Dotson - Gilbert Brown - Sean Jones 

Wayne Simmons - George Koonce - Brian Williams

Craig Newsome - Doug Evans - LeRoy Butler - Eugene Robinson

That defense was stacked. You could make a case George Koonce, who was better than a JAG, was the weakest link! LOL Brian Williams was an absolute stud, then he tore his knee up the next season. 

• Like 1

The 2010 defense was also very good.  Ranked #2 scoring defense in the league if memory serves.  Then in 2011 Jenkins leaves, Collins gets injured and pretty much everyone else on the defense regressed.  It was actually kind of weird because there was still talent on that side.  Woodson, Tramon, Shields and Burnett at DB, Matthews at OLB, Raji and Pickett on the DL.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The 2010 defense was also very good.  Ranked #2 scoring defense in the league if memory serves.  Then in 2011 Jenkins leaves, Collins gets injured and pretty much everyone else on the defense regressed.  It was actually kind of weird because there was still talent on that side.  Woodson, Tramon, Shields and Burnett at DB, Matthews at OLB, Raji and Pickett on the DL.

I still contend Collins was a 2nd tier generational player.  Not Woodson for sure, but he was so good. One of my favorite players.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 2:03 PM, Mdpackfan22 said:

Could start for a lot of teams is definitely a bold statement currently. By this time next year though it might not be so bold 

If we Grant that 11 personnel is the current default, and there are a handful of teams that are completely barren, " could step right  in as a WR3 in a few places"  doesn't seem too unreasonable

57 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Just shows you how quickly things can fall apart in the NFL. Enjoy the good times, because they might not last.