2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jones will cost the Packers 12m next year whether playing for another team or living on Mars. It's unavoidable like Rodgers last off-season. 17m on the roster.

I was referring to his salary, cut it in half. I thought it was 12, it's 11.1. Cut the 11.1 in half plus his roster and per game bonus and I'd keep him. 

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think it's time to draft the next LT, move Tom there, or develop Walker and spend the 20 million elsewhere. Is there really any reason to think that Bakhtiari's latest surgery will be any more successful than the last several? 

I agree, and what better way to work in the next tackle then to sit for a year and learn the system while being in an NFL weight room. How many games did Tom start last year if not for injury?

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I agree, and what better way to work in the next tackle then to sit for a year and learn the system while being in an NFL weight room. How many games did Tom start last year if not for injury?

Not sure how you can keep a guy who doesn't want to be here, won't restructure and hasn't played since 2020. 

He was great, no doubt about it. It's time to move on. Basically, a three-year layoff at his age, YIKES! We aren't getting close to the guy you remember. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Not sure how you can keep a guy who doesn't want to be here, won't restructure and hasn't played since 2020. 

He was great, no doubt about it. It's time to move on. Basically, a three-year layoff at his age, YIKES! We aren't getting close to the guy you remember. 

Doesn't want to be here? Won't restructure? Source?

He just played in 2022 outside a bout with appendicitis.

He was just that guy week 1 of 2023.

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because at a reasonable cap hit tacked in to his 20m dead cap, that's a well worthwhile gamble for a HOF caliber LT for 1 year.

Let's assume for a second he's willing to agree to a max restructure (~$1.5M base salary plus converting his roster bonus to a signing bonus), that drops his cap hit down to $25.6M with nearly $15M in dead cap the following year.  If the Packers release him right now, the Packers incur $19.1M in dead cap and none the following year.  You're effectively betting that he's going to stay healthy for an additional $21.5M in dead cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Let's assume for a second he's willing to agree to a max restructure (~$1.5M base salary plus converting his roster bonus to a signing bonus), that drops his cap hit down to $25.6M with nearly $15M in dead cap the following year.  If the Packers release him right now, the Packers incur $19.1M in dead cap and none the following year.  You're effectively betting that he's going to stay healthy for an additional $21.5M in dead cap.

I'm not keeping him on his original deal, he's either willing to do what Jones did and rip it up and start over or I'm cutting him. 

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Doesn't want to be here? Won't restructure? Source?

He just played in 2022 outside a bout with appendicitis.

He was just that guy week 1 of 2023.

There were reports this off-season that he wasn't willing to rework his contract, so the Packers did what they could do without his consent.  

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not keeping him on his original deal, he's either willing to do what Jones did and rip it up and start over or I'm cutting him. 

Unless Bakhtiari has a very strong desire to remain in Green Bay, why would he?  A washed up Duane Brown just got $10M/year last year on a 2 year deal.  Add $10M plus the dead cap that he's already on the hook for and that's $31.5M in cap that's going to be accounted for Bakh between 2 teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless Bakhtiari has a very strong desire to remain in Green Bay, why would he?  A washed up Duane Brown just got $10M/year last year on a 2 year deal.  Add $10M plus the dead cap that he's already on the hook for and that's $31.5M in cap that's going to be accounted for Bakh between 2 teams.

From everything I've heard from him after the injury, he has a strong desire to remain in GB. I don't think the market will be much more than us and the Jets, and I don't think he'll have any interest in NY.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

There is a good chance that yes another team would pay him more because most likely he would get more than a 1 year deal with a signing bonus. I would bet on a 3 year deal.

Valid point. Suppose it’s market dependent. Also depends what he’s trying to do. Start a year and hit the market and get the payment with the signing bonus after a healthy quality year? Or take a deal when his value is low?

I’m not sure what I’d advise as an agent. Frankly at his age he may be considering retirement being beaten up all year. So maybe he prefers a one and done contract? Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Valid point. Suppose it’s market dependent. Also depends what he’s trying to do. Start a year and hit the market and get the payment with the signing bonus after a healthy quality year? Or take a deal when his value is low? I’m not sure what I’d advise as an agent. Frankly at his age he may be considering retirement being beaten up all year. So maybe he prefers a one and done contract? Time will tell.

His career earnings thru this year will be 127.4M

So retirement could be a possibility.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This team will compete next year, time to stop thinking rebuild. What are you going to use 5m on that's more valuable than Aaron Jones?

Don't extend him, just keep him. If Bakh will restructure, keep him too. 

Going into the draft without Jones and Bakh mean big holes at RB and LT, going in with both means letting the board fall to you and not panicking to pull the trigger early.

I agree it would be best to keep Jones and 69 on board, neither of salaries for 2024 are within the ballpark. Jones has 12.1 cash coming if he’s on this roster. 69 has 20 mil just for being on the roster.

32.1 Mil for Jones and Bakhtiari. We need to get that to 20 between the two.