2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

@OneTwoSixFive if you would simply click the link, they have already added a descriptor outside round.

Wouldve saved some wear and tear on your keys.

Yes but it is so common to see it described as "only 17 players have a round one grade this year" (or however many). THAT is what I'm railing against because it is stupid. As for my keys, they are rated to two million clicks per key, so I can afford a rant.

12 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yes but it is so common to see it described as "only 17 players have a round one grade this year" (or however many). THAT is what I'm railing against because it is stupid. As for my keys, they are rated to two million clicks per key, so I can afford a rant.

What do you expect from your first round pick? Even pick 32. What do you hope they can do?

Are they metal? I cannot read any of my pertinent keys anymore.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, he's mobile and he can make NFL level throws, but his footwork is messy and his ball-handling is erratic.  More pressing is the fact that he's small and not especially durable.  He's absolutely not something I'd be looking for as a starter, but could be a high end backup who could sustain you during a brief starting QB absence.  No idea what that's worth in the draft, but a 2 is rich for my blood.

He probably goes somewhere in the Hendon Hooker- Sam Howell area of the draft.

That’s fair. He just seems like he’s average at best everywhere . I faded Col quite a bit late, and never was too impressed. High end back up sounds good 

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

What do you expect from your first round pick? Even pick 32. What do you hope they can do?

Are they metal? I cannot read any of my pertinent keys anymore.

My expectations for a first round pick are heavily dependent on where in that round I pick. If I could clearly articulate in detail all the things I think a player at every position could do, or rather I hope they could, relative to their draft position, I would be a lot cleverer than I am.

My keyboard is exactly ten days old, so I'm just breaking it in, it hasn't even had the chance to be an inadvertent coffee filter.

• Like 1

Being this far out it’s tough to tell if any of these prospects will hold their current draft position BUT:

Resignings: Runyan, Nixon, Ford

1.13 Trade Down, pick up a 3rd.

1. Kinchens, S, Miami. Legit 1st round talent stabilizer for the secondary.

2. Beebe, G, Kansas St. Misses out on T’s, moving Jenkins or Tom to LT because Jenkins makes that money.

2. Van Pran, C, Georgia. Described as powerful and agile.

3. Brooks, RB, Texas. Prefer Shipley to pair with the next guy but he’s done so I’ll take the best 3 down RB available.

3. Allen, RB, Wisconsin. Two very young talented RBs to three head with Jones definitely means the future and immediate is safe.

3. Williams, S, Miami. 6’4” Safeties rarely work out, but at third on the depth chart this is a role player and special teamer with a high ceiling after a very safe first 4-5 picks.

4. Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida St. Won’t be surprised if he ends up going round 2, as he’s reportedly 6’6”, 235, running a 4.5. 
6. Fentrell Cypress, CB, Florida St. hope we can find a core of CB before seasons end or I feel we should be looking into big free agents at CB.

7. Jaylin Simpson, CB, Auburn. 

On 11/28/2023 at 8:54 PM, NFLGURU said:

The Packers will like the age of Allen and he's a big guy who can carry the load.  I'm not sure where Allen goes in this draft, but I do believe if the Packers sign Dillon, his effort and production will disappear. JMO. 

so i have posted these thoughts before... Braelon Allen is a good back, but there is a lot of casual scouting on him... he's not "a big guy who can carry the load". He doesn't translate his size into power.  He is not a guy you can feed the ball because he is regularly nursing some injury-not saying it's not real, but he was in and out of the line up at UW.  He is not a plus at getting thru line trash- if he has a hole and hits it in one cut he can gash you, but too often that is not what happens.  When he gets on his toes and tries to wait for a hole to open he might as well be a scatback.  He has good hands catching passes out of the backfield, but does not have the quick explosion a RB needs in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong, and I give him credit for his production running behind o-lines at Wisconsin that don't resemble good WI o-lines.  As a WI fan/guy I want him to succeed in the nfl- and he maybe could if Mike Shanahan was still running his zone read offense in Denver and he wound up there.  (tho it's a hell of a big might...) 

as much as i hate to say this, he's just another RB from WI-more Carl McCullough, PJ Hill, or John Clay than James White, Jonathan Taylor, or Melvin Gordon.

I said it previously in this thread- his NFL comp is AJ Dillon.  And we'd love love love Dillon if we drafted him in the fourth round or later...

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Being this far out it’s tough to tell if any of these prospects will hold their current draft position BUT:

2. Beebe, G, Kansas St. Misses out on T’s, moving Jenkins or Tom to LT because Jenkins makes that money.

3. Brooks, RB, Texas. Prefer Shipley to pair with the next guy but he’s done so I’ll take the best 3 down RB available.

3. Allen, RB, Wisconsin. Two very young talented RBs to three head with Jones definitely means the future and immediate is safe.

3. Williams, S, Miami. 6’4” Safeties rarely work out, but at third on the depth chart this is a role player and special teamer with a high ceiling after a very safe first 4-5 picks.

4. Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida St. Won’t be surprised if he ends up going round 2, as he’s reportedly 6’6”, 235, running a 4.5. 
6. Fentrell Cypress, CB, Florida St. hope we can find a core of CB before seasons end or I feel we should be looking into big free agents at CB.

Keeping JRJ and taking his replacement in the 2nd?

8 hours ago, DamSamn said:

Braelon Allen is a good back, but there is a lot of casual scouting on him... he's not "a big guy who can carry the load". He doesn't translate his size into power.  He is not a guy you can feed the ball because he is regularly nursing some injury-not saying it's not real, but he was in and out of the line up at UW.  He is not a plus at getting thru line trash...does not have the quick explosion a RB needs in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong...As a WI fan/guy I want him to succeed in the nfl- and he maybe could....

as much as i hate to say this, he's just another RB from WI-more Carl McCullough, PJ Hill, or John Clay than James White, Jonathan Taylor, or Melvin Gordon.

Wy wife went to HS with Allen's mom and is super excited that he's going pro. I don't have the heart to tell her he's an iffy prospect and might not go until the 3rd or later (tbf "second day at best" might as well b Urdu, she doesn't do sports and wouldn't know wtf I'm talking about)

12 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

My expectations for a first round pick are heavily dependent on where in that round I pick. If I could clearly articulate in detail all the things I think a player at every position could do, or rather I hope they could, relative to their draft position, I would be a lot cleverer than I am.

Clearly, you are more of a blue chip/red chip kind of guy when it comes to draft evaluation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I like the two RB thought.  Love Brooks and I was thinking more of either one of the two Michigan backs.

8 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Keeping JRJ and taking his replacement in the 2nd?

Jenkins-Beebe-Van Pran-Runyan-Tom is the OL. My heart wants Bakhtiari but without emotion involved he’s a terrible idea. As much as everyone thinks there are so many Tackles there aren’t more than 4 worth pick 13 and of course, they went before my pick. 

Back to a general discussion for everyone,

If Fashanu, Alt, Latham, and Fuaga all go in the first 12 picks, is there anyone you’d consider taking prior to the late 20s for value at the position? Mims? For our offense?

So you end up looking back at Tackle in the second round, and it turns out there aren’t any I like to be a franchise LT better than moving either Tom or Jenkins to LT. All of them have flags. Injury, size, fit, etc. Hopefully that will change as the draft process continues but as of now we should be looking at what happens if no T is ever available for value when we draft.

For what it is worth, here are some of my targets for the Packers.  Graham Barton OL, fits the Packers MO.  Barton can play all 5 OL positions.  Cooper DeJean S/CB/LB/RS.  Chris Braswell LB/Edge, Taliese Fuaga G/T, Malik Nabers WR, TVondre Sweat DL, Zak Zinter G and TJ Tampa DB.

8 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Would you keep Jones as well? Seems like a pretty saturated backfield in that case.

If you only draft Brooks and resign Dillon, yeah, I would consider resigning Jones at much lower price.  What I would do is resign Dillon and draft two RB to battle with Wilson and Taylor for the #2 and #3 spots.

• Like 2