Defensive tackle:
Jer'Zhan Newton, Illinois (No. 13) Comp: Justin Madubuike

Linebacker:
None

Cornerback:
None

Safety:
None

This draft is setting up a little like last year's draft. It felt like last year there were 12 blue chip prospects and we sat 13th. I liked Lukas Van Ness, but it felt like he was the best 2nd rounder. This year it feels like we'll be selecting the best 2nd rounder with a top 20 pick again.

On 12/26/2023 at 5:32 PM, ReasonablySober said:

Matt Miller of ESPN currently has 14 players with first round grades

QB:
Caleb Williams, USC (No. 1) Comp: Aaron Rodgers
Drake Maye, North Carolina (No. 7) Comp: Justin Herbert
Jayden Daniels, LSU (No. 😎 Comp: Lamar Jackson

RB:
None

WR:
Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State (No. 2) Comp: A.J. Green
Rome Odunze, Washington (No. 9) Comp: Ja'Marr Chase
Malik Nabers, LSU (No. 10) Comp: Stefon Diggs
Keon Coleman, Florida State (No. 11) Comp: Drake London

TE:
Brock Bowers, Georgia (No. 6) Comp: George Kittle

OT:
Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State (No. 3) Comp: Terron Armstead
Joe Alt, Notre Dame (No. 4) Comp: Mitchell Schwartz
Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma (No. 14) Comp: Lane Johnson

Interior offensive line
None

Edge:
Dallas Turner, Alabama (No. 5) Comp: Josh Allen
Laiatu Latu, UCLA (No. 12) Comp: Matthew Judon

Defensive tackle:
Jer'Zhan Newton, Illinois (No. 13) Comp: Justin Madubuike

Linebacker:
None

Cornerback:
None

Safety:
None

This seems a bit too overly critical of the class.  Probably about 5-6 guys that I think he's missing.  The notable omission seems to be Kool-Aid McKinstry, and admittedly I'm not overly high on him.  I think you could probably include Emeka Egbuka [WR; Ohio State] as a potential FRP, but that's nitpicking.  Taliese Funga [OT; Oregon State] and Amarius Mims [OT; Georgia] seem like pretty obvious omissions.  I don't love this EDGE class, but you can probably have Jared Verse [DE; Florida State] and Chop Robinson [EDGE; Penn State] in there as well.  I want to go back and watch Nate Wiggins [CB; Clemson] some more, but he seems like at worst a late FRP.  And that doesn't include Kalen King [CB; Penn State] and Cooper DeJean [CB; Iowa] as potential FRPs.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This seems a bit too overly critical of the class.  Probably about 5-6 guys that I think he's missing.  The notable omission seems to be Kool-Aid McKinstry, and admittedly I'm not overly high on him.  I think you could probably include Emeka Egbuka [WR; Ohio State] as a potential FRP, but that's nitpicking.  Taliese Funga [OT; Oregon State] and Amarius Mims [OT; Georgia] seem like pretty obvious omissions.  I don't love this EDGE class, but you can probably have Jared Verse [DE; Florida State] and Chop Robinson [EDGE; Penn State] in there as well.  I want to go back and watch Nate Wiggins [CB; Clemson] some more, but he seems like at worst a late FRP.  And that doesn't include Kalen King [CB; Penn State] and Cooper DeJean [CB; Iowa] as potential FRPs.

Agreed, especially Fuaga and Mims. I wouldn't mind either of those in the first

As the Packers slide down later in the draft, MacReady's draft crush CB/S Cooper DeJean, is looking increasingly sensible.

If you could draft just one high-ish pick (day 1 or 2) on the o line, which position would you choose to upgrade - center, guard, LT type or RT type (which might be fairly interchangeable) ?

I have switched between OT/RT in the first or second round (Latham, Guyton etc), Guard in the 2nd/3rd round (Cooper Beebe, Donovan Jackson) and Centers Van Pran, Frazier and Powers-Johnson in rounds 2 (Van Pran) 3 (Frazier) and 4 (P.J).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

These media draftniks should just stop using the term "first round grade" and say something like "tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, …" instead.  We have these pointless debates about who has RD1 value every year.

If you rate a player among the top 32 available players, he has a "first round grade" for that draft.

Edited by Mazrimiv

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

These media draftniks should just stop using the term "first round grade" and say something like "tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, …" instead.  We have these pointless debates about who has RD1 value every year.

If you rate a player among the top 32 available players, he has a "first round grade" for that draft.

Phew ! At least it wasn't me that got triggered by this, like I usually am.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Or...and hear me out, players that don't have first round grades can go in the first round.  There's not 256 players on a team's board that have draft able grades, but those players can still get drafted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I guess 18 teams will be reaching with their RD1 picks this year. 

You're not completely wrong.  Tiers are probably a better way to describe them, but those tiers generally break out something similar to what others are saying.  Tier 1 is your top 5 prospects, Tier 2 is your top 10 prospects, etc.  You just don't like calling a guy who is a Tier 5 (or whatever) an early Day 2 prospect.

55 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

As the Packers slide down later in the draft, MacReady's draft crush CB/S Cooper DeJean, is looking increasingly sensible.

If you could draft just one high-ish pick (day 1 or 2) on the o line, which position would you choose to upgrade - center, guard, LT type or RT type (which might be fairly interchangeable) ?

I have switched between OT/RT in the first or second round (Latham, Guyton etc), Guard in the 2nd/3rd round (Cooper Beebe, Donovan Jackson) and Centers Van Pran and Powers-Johnson.

I can be wrong about prospects...very wrong...but....

I have a hard time believing that DeJean won't be a high end safety in the league for at least a dozen years.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I have switched between OT/RT in the first or second round (Latham, Guyton etc), Guard in the 2nd/3rd round (Cooper Beebe, Donovan Jackson) and Centers Van Pran and Powers-Johnson.

DeJean would fit like a glove at the "Star" position.  Send Nixon on down the road or special teams only and insert this kid at nickel corner on a full time basis.