2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

47 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

And what he does from this point forward will determine if he's still on this team come draft time.  

He's going to be on the team. He's an all pro caliber player and we have almost no reliable depth behind him. If Stokes was playing well then maybe but he isnt.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you for the clarification, but I get it.  Totally.

And I do not agree.  With so few guys with a first round grade, I'd rather sit on those picks and make the selections as opposed to package them up for the opportunity to take a guy in the first round, without a first round grade.

Maybe I could be convinced of this strategy, if we need a QB and a QB was there. Then the 5th year option appeals to me in that situation.  But we don't need one.

So again, I'll take those multiple picks and see how I can fill out the roster.

So hypothetically...

if there are 15 guys with first round grades and 15 guys with 2nd round grades why not move up from a mid 2nd to get a player with a 2nd round grade vs staying and selecting a lesser graded player?

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We still need safeties and linebackers. Possibly a CB if Ja is on way out.

I'm with you on linebacker .. Campbell is as good as gone and I'm not too sure a Walker/McDuffie duo is good enough.  We could use a really good lLB prospect to ramp this thing up a bit.  Maybe a smart guy, so they can free up Quay to use his athletic skills.  Need at least one safety and probably two.  Need another corner .. maybe two if Alexander is jettisoned.  Need another DLineman as well.  Lots of needs on D. 

Our needs have changed that's for sure.  Had OT as a top priority however think we can get by with Walker possibly Bak if he plays ball on his contract.  Minimum we need to draft a G.  Offense G and RB should be the priorities.  If a stud OT drops and is BPA fine you take him but we can live without.  

Defense has some serious rebuilding to do unfortunately.  CB and S.  ILB and DL.  So we are looking at all 3 levels.  Not sure if what our cap situation is but would be nice to fill a few holes with vets.  

So in order of priority...  S CB ILB G RB DL.  Have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds hopefully we can address these position groups.  I'd double up a S, OL, and RB.  Take one up high and fliers in the later rounds. 

Some guys have been clamoring for C to give Meyers some competition.  He's good enough.  Right now it's a luxury we can't afford.   All those investments in the secondary and it's in shambles.  Sick of drafting this position group but looks like we'll have to do it again.  Be real nice to score a veteran S to add to the mix. 

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Our needs have changed that's for sure.  Had OT as a top priority however think we can get by with Walker possibly Bak if he plays ball on his contract.  Minimum we need to draft a G.  Offense G and RB should be the priorities.  If a stud OT drops and is BPA fine you take him but we can live without.  

Defense has some serious rebuilding to do unfortunately.  CB and S.  ILB and DL.  So we are looking at all 3 levels.  Not sure if what our cap situation is but would be nice to fill a few holes with vets.  

So in order of priority...  S CB ILB G RB DL.  Have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds hopefully we can address these position groups.  I'd double up a S, OL, and RB.  Take one up high and fliers in the later rounds. 

Some guys have been clamoring for C to give Meyers some competition.  He's good enough.  Right now it's a luxury we can't afford.   All those investments in the secondary and it's in shambles.  Sick of drafting this position group but looks like we'll have to do it again.  Be real nice to score a veteran S to add to the mix. 

I’ve been looking at veteran FA safeties and the pickings sure seem slim. Geno Stone in Baltimore has played very well being forced into action as a backup. He’s a FA. Has he played himself into a nice deal, too rich for GB? Will Baltimore decide to retain him? Either way, he’s one I’ve been watching. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm with you on linebacker .. Campbell is as good as gone and I'm not too sure a Walker/McDuffie duo is good enough.  We could use a really good lLB prospect to ramp this thing up a bit.  Maybe a smart guy, so they can free up Quay to use his athletic skills.  Need at least one safety and probably two.  Need another corner .. maybe two if Alexander is jettisoned.  Need another DLineman as well.  Lots of needs on D. 

I don't think D-line is as much of a priority as many here do. Wyatt has really improved. Slaton has turned into a good football player. Love Brooks and Wooden has some ability too. Kenny has been very good. Need to figure out if we are extending him or not though. With the other needs, I think another D-lineman is a luxury not a necessity. 

I'd be down for T'vondre Sweat from Texas as 3rd rounder. It's where I've seen him projected by a few different sites. 

2 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I’ve been looking at veteran FA safeties and the pickings sure seem slim. Geno Stone in Baltimore has played very well being forced into action as a backup. He’s a FA. Has he played himself into a nice deal, too rich for GB? Will Baltimore decide to retain him? Either way, he’s one I’ve been watching. 

Isn't Antoine Winfield Jr a FA? Or did they re-sign him already? I would take him on the team for sure.  

Jordan Whitehead please! I don't think he's going to be too expensive. Probably in the price range just below the top safeties. 

Also, kind of funny how teams walked away from Kyle Hamilton last year because of his 40 time. Turns out the kid can really play football and is looking like a perennial all-pro already. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Jordan Whitehead please! I don't think he's going to be too expensive. Probably in the price range just below the top safeties. 

Also, kind of funny how teams walked away from Kyle Hamilton last year because of his 40 time. Turns out the kid can really play football and is looking like a perennial all-pro already. 

I'd like to see more emphasis on acquiring athletic football players as compared to athletic specimens.

12 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I'd still like an OT, but yes, the need is less than early season, when Walker was still struggling a bit. Rhyan might prove ok at G, but as with OT, I want another one with some starter-level talent on the roster. I disagree that the Center position is ok, I think it needs an upgrade more than anywhere else on the line. Myers is more of a below average starter who could be an above average backup. 

I'd look at an Edge in round 1 or 2 (the good ones need to have elite athleticism at this position, and therefore go early) as eventual replacement for Preston Smith (who has been having a nice season).

I'd start looking for a RB in round 2 and if I went elsewhere in that round, I'd look even harder there in round three.

I do like the idea of adding Cade Stover (TE) to the roster, but that probably takes a round 3 pick and I have other positions to fill. Mainly I want Stover for his blocking (though his speed is good). If he was there in round 4, I'd ****** him up. If I didn't get C Van Pran in the 2nd, I'd look for Frazier in the 3rd or Powers-Johnson in the 4th.

A draft with something like:
1) Edge Latu, 2a) S Nubin, 2b) OT Guyton, 3a) RB Brooks or Irving, 3b) ILB Eichenberg, 4) C Powers Johnson would be a fine start to the 2024 draft in my eyes. Add a guard somewhere soon after this and try to fill any other positions that are thin. Add a long snapper late or in FA and add a QB late. Look for value anywhere in the draft at WR and CB, as they are very strong position groups this year and there could be a bargain that supersedes the need to boost a particular position group. Maybe I'd look for a big (320+) NT around round 5-7 to spell Slaton and allow Brooks to backup only at DE.

If you consider only need and not positional value, then in order of priority, I'd go S, RB, C, CB (slot), ILB, Long Snapper, OG, Edge,  OT, WR, NT, QB. Things look very different when you DO factor in position, especially in round 1, where it is very possible to see an Edge, OT, CB/S or even WR (shock !) taken. 

As I finished typing this, I did a ProFootballNwetwork draft and got the following:
12 Edge Laiatu Latu
40 S Tyler Nubin
43 G Cooper Beebe
74 OT Tyler Guyton
88 RB Bucky Irving
111 C Jackson Powers-Johnson
173 DT/NT Nazir Stackhouse
204 CB (slot) Jaden Davis

Some of these players might rise later in the draft process, but as it stands now I though this was a draft haul that covered most of what was needed. It did fall short in getting an ILB like Edgerrin Cooper or Tommy Eichenberg. Cooper was available at #74, but I considered Guyton better value. Eichenberg was gone before #111.