2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

50 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Ridder was 3rd rounder.

The weird thing about "the Falcons are held back by Ridder" is that traditionally the way NFL teams work with a shaky QB is "rely on your running game and have a good tight end as a safety blanket" but it's not like they give Bijan the ball or throw to PItts.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Aaron Jones was 5091 208 when the Packers drafted him.  I think that second number matters more than the first when you're looking at an RB, since it's probably the single least height premium position in football.

Height becomes a hinderance for RBs a lot of times as well.  Most taller backs are just a bigger target.  Obviously, there are exceptions, but most of your successful backs are somewhere between 5'9 and 6'1.

If we are looking to fix our DB room, especially safety position, we got to get that from FA and not to expect or look at the draft to fix that.

I would love to see Micah back or if we are going to push the envelope then Jordan Whitehead.

Help me out here. I just don't know what to think about the Packers coaches. A few weeks ago, I was ready to see several Packers coaches (and a coordinator) released to upgrade there, as I thought they were a key reason the Packers were not playing well and there were many players making many mistakes.

I was ready to see Butkus (O line) gone, receivers coach Vrable gone, along with coordinator Barry and Montgomery (run defense). Now things have turned 180.  Rhyan and Walker are looking good on the O line, the receivers have done a 180 degrees and are all playing amazingly well, even the run defense was not horrible. So how good are the position coaches ? I just don't know now..................and I thought I did. I guess I still want Barry gone, but beyond that ????

20 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Help me out here. I just don't know what to think about the Packers coaches. A few weeks ago, I was ready to see several Packers coaches (and a coordinator) released to upgrade there, as I thought they were a key reason the Packers were not playing well and there were many players making many mistakes.

I was ready to see Butkus (O line) gone, receivers coach Vrable gone, along with coordinator Barry and Montgomery (run defense). Now things have turned 180.  Rhyan and Walker are looking good on the O line, the receivers have done a 180 degrees and are all playing amazingly well, even the run defense was not horrible. So how good are the position coaches ? I just don't know now..................and I thought I did. I guess I still want Barry gone, but beyond that ????

I'm not smart enough to figure out if a position coach is good or bad. I can tell you when a unit is continually put at a disadvantage though. Barry's has to be gone. Other than that, no idea. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

My take: football is a flukey game. Young teams win games they shouldn't and lose games they shouldn't. This is still a middle of the pack team.

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If we are looking to fix our DB room, especially safety position, we got to get that from FA and not to expect or look at the draft to fix that.

I would love to see Micah back or if we are going to push the envelope then Jordan Whitehead.

Good possibility through free agency but I'd like to see a safety picked somewhere in the top 3 rounds too.  That position is really weak as is.

14 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

This is an Arthur Smith issue rather than a GM/player issue.  We are talking about a coach who went out of his way to make Pitts a blocking TE in year two after a record setting rookie season as a pass catcher.  This year, Smith had to be peer pressured into using Bijan as more than a complimentary piece, even though he was clearly ATL's best RB.

I've always thought London was a bad pick.  He's not terrible, but he not someone I'd want to spend a top 10 pick on.

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I've always thought London was a bad pick.  He's not terrible, but he not someone I'd want to spend a top 10 pick on.

He is a big, strong, contested catch guy, but NFL level DB's can be pretty good at preventing a catch, both by ripping an arm through the circle of the receivers arms and simply by tipping it.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Height becomes a hinderance for RBs a lot of times as well.  Most taller backs are just a bigger target.  Obviously, there are exceptions, but most of your successful backs are somewhere between 5'9 and 6'1.

Idk if I agree with this sentiment. I think your most successful backs are that size because that's the size of dudes that play RB. If you're a good enough athlete to make the NFL and you're  6'1-6'4 go play a position that makes you way more money and you dont get hit 20+ times a game. Only so many spots dudes under 6' can have a shot at the league.

I don't think being bigger than your tackler would be too much of an issue. I don't believe Cam Newton or Micah Parsons wouldn't make good running backs if they played the spot for a few years.

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This is an Arthur Smith issue rather than a GM/player issue.  We are talking about a coach who went out of his way to make Pitts a blocking TE in year two after a record setting rookie season as a pass catcher.  This year, Smith had to be peer pressured into using Bijan as more than a complimentary piece, even though he was clearly ATL's best RB.

There's people who watch more Flacons than I do who drool over what London could do with an actual QB.

Which is case in the point that WRs aren't premium positions.

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I remember us saying that about Campman years ago when the OL wasn't playing well, then eventually like this year it starts to improve over the course of the season, makes it hard to appreciate the coach, thing is a OL couch is trying to get 5 guys to think the same, OL play is so dependent on one another, that kind of chemistry takes time to build.

Vrable it would seem has secured a job, he has these rookie receivers rocking it, it's been exciting to watch them grow from week to week

Barry though can't be trusted to play aggressive, we've seen him do it for a week or two then revert right back to what lost us a extra 4 or 5 games this season.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

There's people who watch more Flacons than I do who drool over what London could do with an actual QB.

Which is case in the point that WRs aren't premium positions.

My brother in law "adopted" the Falcons as his "other" team about a decade ago.

He says exactly that.  

Only he expands upon it.  If that offense had a real QB, look out.  And the defense is actually solid.

He talks about Pitts, no love, no hate, just facts.  Pitts with a real QB (Ryan his rookie year) was great.  Since then?  Meh.

And he despises Ridder.

I asked him who he wanted at QB for that team via free agency, zero hesitation...Kirk Cousins.  A better version than old Matt Ryan.  

FWIW.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My brother in law "adopted" the Falcons as his "other" team about a decade ago.

He says exactly that.  

Only he expands upon it.  If that offense had a real QB, look out.  And the defense is actually solid.

He talks about Pitts, no love, no hate, just facts.  Pitts with a real QB (Ryan his rookie year) was great.  Since then?  Meh.

And he despises Ridder.

I asked him who he wanted at QB for that team via free agency, zero hesitation...Kirk Cousins.  A better version than old Matt Ryan.  

FWIW.

My misspelling gave me an idea. Flacco to the Falcons next year. Find out if it's more than a QB problem with Artie Smith. Gives them a year or 2 to find a QB if things go well.

Pitts got a ton of targets his rookie year. Idk if it's just teams started playing him like a WR lining up at TE. But you'd think a stud TE would be a young QBs favorite target.

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

My misspelling gave me an idea. Flacco to the Falcons next year. Find out if it's more than a QB problem with Artie Smith. Gives them a year or 2 to find a QB if things go well.

Pitts got a ton of targets his rookie year. Idk if it's just teams started playing him like a WR lining up at TE. But you'd think a stud TE would be a young QBs favorite target.

Never thought about Flacco.

But, I did bring Fields into the conversation with my bro in law.  Nope was the very fast answer.

He wants a real passer....and Flacco is nothing if not that.  Next time I see him, I'll bring that up.