2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

52 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I was with PackerRaymond's thought process too.  I would certainly take DeJean and would also not be very happy moving both 2nd round picks to move into the 1st round.  Besides, it shouldn't take both of those picks in the 2nd round to move up into the 1st.

I bolded the part I was objecting to, but if you don't' expand the post I quoted you don't see that. 

46 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You are jumping in the middle of a conversation. My original post had a caveat to it, which I'm not going to get into explaining. Given the context of my original comment, you'd be way off base for what Walker would hypothetically be worth. 

I saw the caveat.. he's not getting to a spot next year where he's worth enough to be remotely concerned about. He's not going to magically start stoning dudes. You dont just get an anchor after years of not. He's going to be a guy you help, that helps in negotiations. 

I know what you'll say "but bakhtiari!" I went back to watch bakh when he was in Walker's shoes, to refresh the memory..  he doesn't have the same problems at this stage.

Big Mike has him on Islands all day. Bakh is SO much better at the same stages of their careers. Guy has Vice grips for hands and he's a magic mirror,  the sweetest feet. He moved Fletcher Cox 7 yards downfield on a run play. Also gave him a killshot to the ribs on another. Things you had to worry about bakh. Consistency in technique with the slide tendency to turn and chase, some lunging, goes over his toes when he shoots. Questionable angles going 2nd level looking for kill shots. Gets a bit holdy when the feet stop.

To me Walker is farther along in the development of his tech at this point in their respective careers, just doesn't have the innate ability that Bakh did/does. People just go straight through Sheed all day.

I invite you all to go back and watch 2014 David. It's a vast difference. He's going against some studs and giving them the business. Hell just watch the 2014 team again. Good stuff. Particularly that eagles game in the powerballs.

I know you know the Packers have a good track record of making OL serviceable. This is more of that, Walker isn't Bakh. I appreciate how Walker has come in and managed the spot but he's vastly overrated here.

**** I forgot how fun Bakh is to watch. Sources. Seahawks Irvin, Avril, Bennett. Eagles Barwins pro bowl year, curry, graham, Cole. Bills Hughes, Mario.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I saw the caveat.. he's not getting to a spot next year where he's worth enough to be remotely concerned about. He's not going to magically start stoning dudes. You dont just get an anchor after years of not. He's going to be a guy you help, that helps in negotiations. 

I know what you'll say "but bakhtiari!" I went back to watch bakh when he was in Walker's shoes, to refresh the memory..  he doesn't have the same problems at this stage.

Big Mike has him on Islands all day. Bakh is SO much better at the same stages of their careers. Guy has Vice grips for hands and he's a magic mirror,  the sweetest feet. He moved Fletcher Cox 7 yards downfield on a run play. Also gave him a killshot to the ribs on another. Things you had to worry about bakh. Consistency in technique with the slide tendency to turn and chase, some lunging, goes over his toes when he shoots. Questionable angles going 2nd level looking for kill shots. Gets a bit holdy when the feet stop.

To me Walker is farther along in the development of his tech at this point in their respective careers, just doesn't have the innate ability that Bakh did/does. People just go straight through Sheed all day.

I invite you all to go back and watch 2014 David. It's a vast difference. He's going against some studs and giving them the business. Hell just watch the 2014 team again. Good stuff. Particularly that eagles game in the powerballs.

I know you know the Packers have a good track record of making OL serviceable. This is more of that, Walker isn't Bakh. I appreciate how Walker has come in and managed the spot but he's vastly overrated here.

**** I forgot how fun Bakh is to watch. Sources. Seahawks Irvin, Avril, Bennett. Eagles Barwins pro bowl year, curry, graham, Cole. Bills Hughes, Mario.

Andre Dillard got 10 a year! Wait til you see what Nijman gets. 

You are basing this off the guy earlier in the year, who was not good. Walker has been very solid the last six games or so. He's still a young player developing and no, I would not compare him to Bak. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You are basing this off the guy earlier in the year, who was not good. Walker has been very solid the last six games or so. He's still a young player developing and no, I would not compare him to Bak. 

I PROMISE I have been watching Sheed very. Very. Very closely.

Assignments matter when you get paid. Walker is not getting big boy assignments.

We can only hope we're smart like the eagles and let an overhyped backup go get paid.

34 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If Walker costs $10M per year, you don’t think twice on signing him if you think he is a + level starter.  

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If Walker costs $10M per year, you don’t think twice on signing him if you think he is a + level starter.  

I have no idea what he's going to cost. I know if he keeps improving, he's going to be worth more than the 5 million per that High Caleb suggested. 

Why are we talking about Rasheed Walker's contract?  He's dirt cheap for two more seasons during which he could either state the case that he's the next Jason Peters or state the case he's the most recent Marshall Newhouse- the Packers can afford to wait to find out what happens.

I don't think there's a position the Packers are going to be desperate to target early in the draft, so they can afford to go wherever the value is (except QB I guess, like they're not in the market for Bo or Penix).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

I don't think Kitchens or Bullock are close to guys you worry about missing out on. 3rd or 4th round types IMO.

Kinchens is solid.  He'll probably get overdraft in an otherwise weak safety class.  If you could get him early Day 2, I'd be pleased.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Why are we talking about Rasheed Walker's contract?  He's dirt cheap for two more seasons during which he could either state the case that he's the next Jason Peters or state the case he's the most recent Marshall Newhouse- the Packers can afford to wait to find out what happens.

I don't think there's a position the Packers are going to be desperate to target early in the draft, so they can afford to go wherever the value is (except QB I guess, like they're not in the market for Bo or Penix).

Because he will not be Jason Peters. I agree, he's cheap and he's here and that's fine, I'm not cutting him. My whole *** point in this argument is he will not be Jason Peters. This isnt fairy tale land. Development isnt just random ****, these guys have tools to work with and Rasheed is missing some very key tools. 

They were talking "oh what if he demands a big ol contract?" We move on because he's not worth it. If someone wants to give him starter money, LET THEM. Thats why were talking his contract.

Can we win with him? Yeah, **** we can win with Savage and Johnson Jr at safety. It sure would be nice to have a guy who would make some plays. Thats exactly how I feel about LT.

Either we can pretend Rasheed will be gifted new knees or we can live in reality and accept that hes a replacement level player we can unlock more offensive prowess.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kinchens is solid.  He'll probably get overdraft in an otherwise weak safety class.  If you could get him early Day 2, I'd be pleased.

There will never be a quality class of Safety until more college teams start running pro offenses. 

Do we like Dejean more than Kinchens? I don’t like Dejean at CB, I think he’s my top S though.

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I have no idea what he's going to cost. I know if he keeps improving, he's going to be worth more than the 5 million per that High Caleb suggested. 

or we could live in reality, your call.

What if in 2 years Savage turns it on and is the highest paid safety? Thats this conversation.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Because he will not be Jason Peters

The Jason Peters example was chosen precisely because Walker in fact showed more in his first two seasons than Peters did in his.  It was Peters' third season when he came on like gangbusters.

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

you were acting like Walker and Tom would be too expensive for GB to consider resigning them. 

in 2025, GB is going to likely have all WR, TE and RB on Rookie contracts (unless Jones stays around for a longer stint that his current deal has on it).  

lets say GB splits the cap as follows:  46% Offense, 46% defense, 3% on specials, 5% in season buffer

• QB -- 20% (that is assuming a 2025 cap charge of $52M which would be way over what a realistic structure on a long term deal and probably $10-12M over a franchise tag amount if that were needed)
  • RB -- 4%
  • WR -- 5%
  • TE -- 3%
  • OL -- 14%
    • Walker -- 3% ( that is an $8.0M 2025 cap charge)
    • Jenkins -- 6.5%
    • rookie -- 0.60%
    • Rhyan -- 0.60%
    • Tom -- 3%

Some very valid calls being made re Walker but at this stage I'm not even sure OT is even in our draft discussion as I dont expect Bahk to be cut as many on here do. I suspect there will be different outcome come March for him.