2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Jason Peters example was chosen precisely because Walker in fact showed more in his first two seasons than Peters did in his.  It was Peters' third season when he came on like gangbusters.

I cant go back to 2005. I bet the tools were there though.

And i bet he stunk early because he literally had just started playing tackle. Like hadnt played it at all before entering the league.

Edited by HighCalebR

20 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

There will never be a quality class of Safety until more college teams start running pro offenses. 

Do we like Dejean more than Kinchens? I don’t like Dejean at CB, I think he’s my top S though.

I don't think it's that if we're being honest.  I view it a LOT like the TE position in college.  Guys who are athletic, but not as big generally tend to stick at WR and the guys who are bigger, but not as athletic tend to transition to the OL.  Guys who are smaller, but more athletic tend to stick at CB while those that are bigger but not as athletic tend to move to LB.  Since 2017, we've only had 2 safeties (Derwin James and Kyle Hamilton) drafted inside the top 20.  3 if you think Minkah Fitzpatrick was drafted as a safety.

The safety position is really hard to project in the draft this far out.  There are going to be a huge number of safeties in FA that would be upgrades over what the Packers have, some of those guys are getting franchised, but not all of them will.

It would not surprise me to see the Packers make a run at a safety they like in FA>

24 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

Some very valid calls being made re Walker but at this stage I'm not even sure OT is even in our draft discussion as I dont expect Bahk to be cut as many on here do. I suspect there will be different outcome come March for him.

I wouldn't bank on Bak at all.  Personally I think the dude is done.  That knee is never going to be right.  If we can get something for him in trade great.  Take the pick and move on.  If he wants to come back it will have to be on the cheap.  He's exhausted his chances.  OT for sure is in play.  Just depends on how the draft falls.  We'll draft at least 2 OL possibly 3 in the upcoming draft. Nice luxury having all those picks.  Gute has to stick to his guns and not reach for need.  Take the BPA that drops in RD 1.  Then he'll trade around to get guys he's targeted.  

Just now, Scoremore said:

I wouldn't bank on Bak at all.  Personally I think the dude is done.  That knee is never going to be right.  If we can get something for him in trade great.  Take the pick and move on.  If he wants to come back it will have to be on the cheap.  He's exhausted his chances.  OT for sure is in play.  Just depends on how the draft falls.  We'll draft at least 2 OL possibly 3 in the upcoming draft. Nice luxury having all those picks.  Gute has to stick to his guns and not reach for need.  Take the BPA that drops in RD 1.  Then he'll trade around to get guys he's targeted.  

If Bahk comes back and agrees to take a pay cut then you have 6 OT on the Roster (Bahk, Tom, Walker, Jones, Tenuta, Telfort).

Not sure you take a OT anywhere in the first 5 rounds (if at all) in that case.

3 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

If Bahk comes back and agrees to take a pay cut then you have 6 OT on the Roster (Bahk, Tom, Walker, Jones, Tenuta, Telfort).

Jones, Tenuta, and Telfort have yet to take a snap.  Not really sure what they think of those guys.  You take it to the bank we'll be taking at least 1 OT.  Probably a G and C as well.  OT is in play in the 1st round if the right guy drops. 

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Jones, Tenuta, and Telfort have yet to take a snap.  Not really sure what they think of those guys.  You take it to the bank we'll be taking at least 1 OT.  Probably a G and C as well.  OT is in play in the 1st round if the right guy drops. 

I agree G and C are in play and T may be if Bahk is cut. Just can't see it if Bahk stays around.

43 minutes ago, squire12 said:

you were acting like Walker and Tom would be too expensive for GB to consider resigning them. 

in 2025, GB is going to likely have all WR, TE and RB on Rookie contracts (unless Jones stays around for a longer stint that his current deal has on it).  

lets say GB splits the cap as follows:  46% Offense, 46% defense, 3% on specials, 5% in season buffer

• QB -- 20% (that is assuming a 2025 cap charge of $52M which would be way over what a realistic structure on a long term deal and probably $10-12M over a franchise tag amount if that were needed)
  • RB -- 4%
  • WR -- 5%
  • TE -- 3%
  • OL -- 14%
    • Walker -- 3% ( that is an $8.0M 2025 cap charge)
    • Jenkins -- 6.5%
    • rookie -- 0.60%
    • Rhyan -- 0.60%
    • Tom -- 3%

It's not the 25 cap I'm concerned with. How many guys can you extend to big contracts? The 2022 and 2023 draft classes look like a lot of guy are potentially going to warrant very nice contracts. 

My point was it may be more prudent to make sure we get a tackle in round 2, and develop him and only keep one of Tom/Walker. My choice would easily be Tom at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It's not the 25 cap I'm concerned with. How many guys can you extend to big contracts? The 2022 and 2023 draft classes look like a lot of guy are potentially going to warrant very nice contracts. 

My point was it may be more prudent to make sure we get a tackle in round 2, and develop him and only keep one of Tom/Walker. My choice would easily be Tom at this point. 

Jenkins, Bahk, Jones and the dead cap of Rodgers are all gone from the offense

Clark, Preston, Campbell are very likely off from the defense

2026 GB has $153M in cap space available.  

28 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

I agree G and C are in play and T may be if Bahk is cut. Just can't see it if Bahk stays around.

Can't see the Pack getting burned yet again with Bak and his failed knee.  It's time to cut bait.  Fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on me.  Fool me 3 times well I'm just an idiot.  Nah man he's gone.  Maybe we can flip him to the Jets for a 4th rounder. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

No.  the bottom three OTs have had their opportunities- they either get better or new guys come in, and draft picks get extra consideration...stunning to me that Packer fans can't see that this constant motion of draft and develop isn't the overall success story of Gutekunst (and priors) drafting O line- wish it was as true for more other positions

5 minutes ago, DamSamn said:

No.  the bottom three OTs have had their opportunities- they either get better or new guys come in, and draft picks get extra consideration...stunning to me that Packer fans can't see that this constant motion of draft and develop isn't the overall success story of Gutekunst (and priors) drafting O line- wish it was as true for more other positions

I think everyone can see that draft and develop is the key, but the facts are the Packers have kept Bakhtiari, Tenuta and Jones around for the last 2 years for a reason (especially Jones and Tenuta).

I just can't see us spending a high pick on an OT when Walker has shown enough for us to win with him playing.

Now we could use a 7th rounder like we did with Walker or bring in UDFA's like Tenuta and Jones but IMO it won't be a 1st or 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

I think everyone can see that draft and develop is the key, but the facts are the Packers have kept Bakhtiari, Tenuta and Jones around for the last 2 years for a reason (especially Jones and Tenuta).

I just can't see us spending a high pick on an OT when Walker has shown enough for us to win with him playing.

Now we could use a 7th rounder like we did with Walker or bring in UDFA's like Tenuta and Jones but IMO it won't be a 1st or 2nd rounder.

The last time the Packers FRP wasn't a QB, OT, or a defensive player was 2002.  I think we can safely say Green Bay isn't taking a QB in 2024, but the rest of the positions could absolutely be in play.  I think it's unlikely ILB is in play given how poor the ILB class is, and the fact that the Packers have 3 under contract currently that are probably at worst serviceable starters.  That leaves OT, DL, EDGE, CB, and S.  It's not a great DB class and DL isn't much better.  Probably even worse if we're being honest.

19 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If this is working, why would we do that and potentially downgrade both spots? They will also have to get used to working next to a new guard. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. 

If that was the plan, it would have happened week 2 when Bak went out. 

simple Because Walker was not ready, it's why they split his learning curve with Nijman, Toms is better able to handle the speed guys, I think if Walker had been more ready it would have happened when you said, this off season is the best time to do this anyway.

people lack confidence it seems with Walker, but he's improved a lot since early season, LT is still considered the most important position because a RH QB doesn't naturally look in that direction, and Tom is our best T, so imo thats where he'll play, well see.

10 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

Some very valid calls being made re Walker but at this stage I'm not even sure OT is even in our draft discussion as I dont expect Bahk to be cut as many on here do. I suspect there will be different outcome come March for him.

It will be a fascinating upcoming season for the Packers.  Will Bahk be kept with a restructured contract?  Jones and Smith do the same thing?   5 choices in 1st 3 rounds, some dollars in free agency with a promising, improving young offense.  Probably the biggest and most discussed move .. JOE BARRY moving on and who replaces him?  It's been a fun year with this team .. offense and Love getting better as the year goes on.  Win today and it's the playoffs, good times are once again in the future.