The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

34 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

That is correct. But, they have to factor what they did do some in college. If you struggle in college, I just think the NFL is a lot harder.

So, who would you take ( A, B, C or D ) This is the final year of college for 4 players.

A -  2566 yards, 66.1 %, 24 TD’s - 8 INT’s

B - 2217 yards, 61 %, 16 TD’s - 6 INT’s

C- 2549 yards, 53.8 %, 17 TD’s - 9 INT’s

D- 2991 yards, 72.3 %, 22 TD’s - 4 INT’s

Well. Here are the answers 

A- Arron Rodgers 

B- Tom Brady

C- Anthony Richardson

D- JJ. McCarthy 

But I guess nothing matters in college? 

And I guess JJ stats wouldn’t work for some because of trading up for a guy that doesn’t throw for 3000??? ( kind of suck that he missed by 9 yards😂) I guess that means he is gonna fail🤔

Josh Allen's final year in college:  1,812 yds, 56.3%, 16 TDs, 6 INTs

It's all generally a crapshoot.  I was not high on Josh Allen (although I would have certainly considered him if he had lasted to the Vikings' pick that year).  I absolutely didn't like Aaron Rodgers coming from the Tedford system, who had not produced any QB better than Trent Dilfer...and no one even knew Tom Brady except as a guy who consistently had to battle with Drew Henson for the starting job at UM.   

Edited by swede700

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Josh Allen's final year in college:  1,812 yds, 56.3%, 16 TDs, 6 INTs

It's all generally a crapshoot.  I was not high on Josh Allen (although I would have certainly considered him if he had lasted to the Vikings' pick that year).  I absolutely didn't like Aaron Rodgers coming from the Tedford system, who had not produced any QB better than Trent Dilfer...and no one even knew Tom Brady except as a guy who consistently had to battle with Drew Henson for the starting job at UM.   

I agree 100%. It is a crap shoot. And that is why I hope the Vikings did all there homework and if the guy they think is the best for this team is there, then they should do whatever it takes to get him. If it cost 3 1st picks,so be it…

After the draft is complete, we can just hope that they made the right decision and we someday win the SB…

• Like 5

On 4/21/2024 at 12:38 PM, Ozzy said:

OG has not been address free agency and I would not be super comfortable with Brandel as the starting LG, unless the Vikings get Risner to cave and play for $3-4 mil on a one year deal again.

I don't know why we haven't heard more about it; maybe the MN media is asleep at the wheel (or I ignore them too much). How do you feel about the Vikings giving Risner a tender offer?  If he still isn't signed after the draft, I am completely in favor of them extending him an unrestricted free agent tender offer. 

The Vikings haven't done it before, but they have a newer GM; IMO he should do it.  Risner's '23 salary was very reasonable so giving him 110% of that is well within a range I would be happy to pay.   If the possible outcomes are getting Risner for 110% of his '23 salary or getting a 3rd round pick if he sings with another club it seems to me like the Vikings win either way. 

Keep in mind that if the Vikings don't tender him and he signs with another team starting next week they get no compensatory considerations.

Edited by Cearbhall

In the 2021 NFL draft, five quarterbacks were selected in the first 15 picks. Four of those five have now been traded, and none fetched more than a third-day draft pick.

The Jets traded No. 2 overall pick Zach Wilson and a seventh-round pick to the Broncos for a sixth-round pick, and the Jets had to agree to pay half of Wilson’s remaining salary just to get the Broncos to agree to that.

The 49ers traded No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance to the Cowboys for a fourth-round pick.

The Bears traded No. 11 overall pick Justin Fields to the Steelers for a sixth-round pick, which could become a fourth-round pick if Fields hits playing time incentives.

The Patriots traded No. 15 overall pick Mac Jones to the Jaguars for a sixth-round pick.

Of the five first-round quarterbacks, only No. 1 pick Trevor Lawrence remains with the team that drafted him. Lawrence hasn’t lived up to his lofty pre-draft expectations so far, but he’s far and away the best quarterback from a 2021 quarterback class that features four first-round busts.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/four-of-the-five-first-round-qbs-from-2021-have-been-traded-all-for-day-3-draft-picks

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Keep in mind that if the Vikings don't tender him [Risner] and he signs with another team starting next week they get no compensatory considerations.

DON'T GET @SteelKing728 STARTED ON THIS, WE JUST RECENTLY GOT HIM DOWN FROM THE LEDGE HE WAS ON!

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Hi! Been a minute gang - but loved reading through some threads and catching up on the opinions of this esteemed group!

As for me, as far as QBs go, I'm reallly hoping we find a way to get Jayden Daniels, but that seems unlikely. Maye has upside too, and I'd be happy with him. McCarthy feels too much like Christian Ponder to me.

I keep seeing smoke about a penalty for the Falcons tampering that could give us a little bump in the first rd. Not holding my breath, but keeping my fingers crossed. Even that little bit of extra juice could make all the difference in our efforts to move into the top 3. 

All that said, its still Vontae Mack no matter what!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

DON'T GET @SteelKing728 STARTED ON THIS, WE JUST RECENTLY GOT HIM DOWN FROM THE LEDGE HE WAS ON!

lol.

This time of year there isn't much else to think about. Why not discuss compensatory ramifications?  What's the alternative?  Rehashing our draft opinions?

We'll have a lot more things to discuss soon enough.

Thanks for tagging Mr. @SteelKing728 for me though.  I should have done that myself knowing that he's interested in the compensatory picks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Apart from the compensatory considerations, which might not interest you, what do you think about tendering Risner?

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Apart from the compensatory considerations, which might not interest you, what do you think about tendering Risner?

"A team that places a tender on a restricted free agent can match an offer sheet from another club. If a draft pick value is attached to the tender, the original team can receive compensation if it lets the player walk. Like the franchise tag, a restricted tender protects a team from losing internal talent."

seems smart to me, but i'll leave the decision up to Kwesi.

is there any downside to us doing it for Risner?

Just now, vike daddy said:

"A team that places a tender on a restricted free agent can match an offer sheet from another club. If a draft pick value is attached to the tender, the original team can receive compensation if it lets the player walk. Like the franchise tag, a restricted tender protects a team from losing internal talent."

seems smart to me, but i'll leave the decision up to Kwesi.

is there any downside to us doing it for Risner?

He isn't a restricted free agent so what you quoted above doesn't apply.

The only downside is that it would cost the Vikings a bit less than $3MM against the cap.  I don't see that as a downside since I think that is a good deal for a starting LG and I see him as a viable starting LG.

• Like 1

It occurs to me, that some people might not have read, or might not remember, details of the unrestricted free agent tender.

Details: https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/9/section/1/(b)(i)/

In the event that an Unrestricted Free Agent has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, in the League Year following the expiration of his last Player Contract, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract from July 22 until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00pm New York time, only with his Prior Club, provided that the Prior Club by the Monday immediately following the final day of the NFL Draft for that League Year has tendered to the player a one year Player Contract of at least 110% of either (a) his Prior Year Salary

To those interested in compensatory ramifications, here is what appendix V says about it:

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/appendix/V

a Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period (with the 2020 free agency period being the first such “prior free agency signing period” under this appendix) prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year or whose rights were retained by the prior Club by sending the player the Unrestricted Free Agent tender prior to such time and date;

To my knowledge, the Vikings haven't ever used the UFA tender, but other teams occasionally use the UFA tender.   I think Risner would be the perfect use case, and I feel that way even without the associated compensatory benefit.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

Michael Penix writes open letter to NFL GMs (interesting).

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/michael-penix-jr-nfl-draft-ncaa-football-university-of-washington

I am one that may be overly concerned about his injuries.  Perhaps being right about the Sam Bradford trade being a bad decision owing to injury concerns has biased me towards being overly injury concerned.  We all like being right, amiright?

At any rate, it seems smart of Penix to be getting out in front of it. 

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 4

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic