The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

13 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

Richardson is terrible in the NFL. I wouldn’t of took him in the 3rd round..

This seems a little over the top.  Hasn't he played like 3 games and looked decent for a rookie?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

RG3

Tua Tagovailoa 

Can't think of others

I don’t think these really count tho.

RG3 had one knee injury

Tua and a dislocated hip.

RG3 was just really the restarting of the mobile QB after Vick? People weren’t worried so much about his injury history coming to the pros as much as the way he was running he was going to get killed out there.

Tua also wasn’t really an “injury” worry coming to the pros. His concussions that worried people came after. The Hip wasn’t much of a worry.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

Random question, who would you guys consider to be the last "injury prone" QB? Like a QB that people thought he'd be injury prone and was in the NFL? With how protective the NFL are of QBs, it doesn't seem to happen often, but I might just be wrong.

Joe Namath

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

This seems a little over the top.  Hasn't he played like 3 games and looked decent for a rookie?

And why did he only play 3 games? Keep running the ball as a QB and let me know how that turns out.

As for throwing the ball. 59% completions percentage and was 3-1 in TD’ s to int’s over those 3 games. Again, on 3 games. But, his 1 year at college was not good. 53 % completion percentage and a 17-9 TD to int ratio.. 

But he will be way better than McCarthy?????  Not even close.

39 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

And why did he only play 3 games? Keep running the ball as a QB and let me know how that turns out.

As for throwing the ball. 59% completions percentage and was 3-1 in TD’ s to int’s over those 3 games. Again, on 3 games. But, his 1 year at college was not good. 53 % completion percentage and a 17-9 TD to int ratio.. 

But he will be way better than McCarthy?????  Not even close.

I’m a McCarthy fan. But this take is…ugh. Running a lot works for Lamar Jackson. Richardson looked great last year in limited action. He may end up being bad. But it’s hardly time to make that call. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I’m a McCarthy fan. But this take is…ugh. Running a lot works for Lamar Jackson. Richardson looked great last year in limited action. He may end up being bad. But it’s hardly time to make that call. 

Does it work for Jackson? The best way to beat Baltimore is make Jackson throw to beat you. 

What made him look great? It was 3 games. 

8 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

What made him look great? It was 3 games. 

Yet Richardson, a guy who played 3 games, can be deemed terrible.

8 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Richardson is terrible in the NFL. I wouldn’t of took him in the 3rd round..

15 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

The closer we get to the draft the more I want the Vikings to get Michael Penix Jr. He just plays the QB position really well, makes all the throws, and his ball placement is impeccable. His game film is arguably the most fun to watch. Him with Jefferson, Addison and Hockenson will be the greatest show on turf. I don’t think the same can be said about J.J. McCarthy. McCarthy’s game is more like a dual threat Kirk Cousins, with more gutsy improvisation. Although that sounds good, Penix has a chance to be great and put more butts in the seats because nobody would want to miss his perfect downfield and sideline throws, which he made so consistently at Washington. Playing in a dome would actually make him better. Can’t wait for the draft but I think that Penix would be the guy. I don’t know if we’d trade up for him, but I wouldn’t mind it because if 4 QBs go in the top 5 we wouldn’t want someone else to jump ahead of us and take him. In a perfect world though, we’d keep our picks and take Penix Jr. at 11 then Johnny Newton at 23. 

I think ideally it would be Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga at #11 to fill the OG spot then ideally Penix Jr is there at #23 because of the injury history.  Really though that all depends on if QBs all go in the top three, if not then things will start to move and even if the Vikings do not select a QB at #11 there could still be one at #23 even if the Broncos and Raiders select one.  But it all depends on those top 5 picks especially the top 3 ones.

OG has not been address free agency and I would not be super comfortable with Brandel as the starting LG, unless the Vikings get Risner to cave and play for $3-4 mil on a one year deal again.  DT would be great though especially a pass rusher like Newton but I feel the Rams will take him easily to replace Donald with both having that high motor and pass rush ability.  Vikings have address DL a bit with Ward and Tillery and getting edge guys in Van Ginkel and Greenard, unlike OL obviously.

The one big issue with Penix Jr is that he is left handed and that does change some things especially if one is not out of the gun, which he was a majority of the time at Washington.  So under center that could be an adjustment no question and that play action with his left hand changes the OL as well, makes the RT the LT and so on.  Possibly the Vikings are not willing to make that switch but who knows.  They used shotgun under half the time in the NFL and were one of three teams to do that, them along with New England and Tennessee.  The Washington Huskies last year were in the shotgun what 80% of the time or more per game.  Outside of injury history with Penix that is the other issue potentially.    But of course in terms of pure passing he is worlds ahead of what McCarthy showed on tape. 

PS Anthony Richardson was drafted high because of his out of this world athletic ability, size and strength for a QB   Pretty sure JJ McCarthy will not be drafted because of his out of this world athletic ability, size and strength.  That is the difference and it is a big one.  

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Joe Namath

Recently I would say Tua could be the biggest, he had major injury concerns coming from Bama and that injury has not been the issue as much as concussions in the league.  Kyle Trask is another one with a big injury history coming out of Florida.  Hendon Hooker is another recent one, and he had a big time injury near the end of his senior season.  Carson Wentz being another with that injury late in his career but he did come back to play the National Title game...

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Yet Richardson, a guy who played 3 games, can be deemed terrible.

In college…. Did absolutely nothing for being the 4th pick of the draft.

And this whole conversation came because some think McCarthy will be a bad QB..

Edited by Vikes22

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

In college…. Did absolutely nothing for being the 4th pick of the draft.

And this whole conversation came because some think McCarthy will be a bad QB..

The Colts don't know exactly what they have in Richardson...but, they have a right to have hope.  

Love him or hate him as a prospect, whatever organization drafts McCarthy has the right to have hope until it's absolutely clear what kind of career he will have.  

It's waaaaaay too early to judge Richardson after 3 games in the NFL.  It's even earlier to judge McCarthy as a good quarterback or a failure before he's even been drafted.

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and let the stories of these to young men unfold.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

The Colts don't know exactly what they have in Richardson...but, they have a right to have hope.  

Love him or hate him as a prospect, whatever organization drafts McCarthy has the right to have hope until it's absolutely clear what kind of career he will have.  

It's waaaaaay too early to judge Richardson after 3 games in the NFL.  It's even earlier to judge McCarthy as a good quarterback or a failure before he's even been drafted.

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and let the stories of these to young men unfold.

Anthony Richardson I thought was surprisingly effective for being so raw as a QB prospect the little he played, but he is in a Shane Steichen system which is molded from Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia.  A lot of QB power run game, QB draw and play action off of that.  It is the perfect place for him no question about it.  In regards to Richardson in college, playing amazing that first game against #7 Utah week one, that sold me and he was amazing in that game.  Also had standout games against Tennessee on the road even in a loss and had other solid games against very good SEC competition.  I was never a huge fan of his before that final season because he did not prove or show anything, but he did that last year at Florida and the workouts confirmed his freak show athletic ability at 6-4 244.  Even though sure size is not everything but it does give one a little comfort in knowing you have a big strong QB with a rocket arm who can run, especially in the NFL today where the QB run game is huge for more than one organization.  Because of the rules QBs do not get hit like they used to so they can take off outside the pocket and not worry about a defender spearing them directly leading with their helmet which was standard place just a few years ago.

With regards to JJ, sure no way to judge this early but the point I was bringing up is one is wildly athletic and physically impressive, not to mention the superior arm talent and arm strength.  So that is why a team takes a risk on a guy like Anthony Richardson and should not take the gamble on JJ McCarthy.  And the others I mentioned there were all reasons for that QB being drafted higher than they should have been, JJ not sure he has that reason outside of he just won the National Title.  

20 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Hopefully, we draft Tory Taylor this year. Ryan Wright was not that great last year and Taylor single-handily took over games at some points by being able to pin opponents deep and letting our defense get to work. He would be our punter for the next decade.

True he was very good and very important to that Iowa team because their offense was just so bad and field position mattered a ton.  There have been better punters to come into the NFL than Taylor though recently but sure as a late round pick he is worth it possibly.  Even though getting a place kicker should be a higher priority.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

[New England at #3] have a franchise-altering opportunity, and as Wolf and first-year head coach Jerod Mayo have previously said, the only way they're moving down is if another team offers an unprecedented deal. Leaving the door open for that possibility is good business more than anything; why close it before it's necessary to do so?

The most likely scenario, per sources, remains that the Patriots will stay put at No. 3 and select LSU's Jayden Daniels, North Carolina's Drake Maye or Michigan's J.J. McCarthy.

Simply put, as one Patriots source said late last week, "you can't win without a quarterback." Mayo and some top decision-makers have privately acknowledged that their legacies will be tied to whatever they decide at quarterback.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39971134/patriots-want-quarterback-third-overall-pick-2024-nfl-draft

if the Patriots do, at #3, select QB3 of the draft, expect picks 4 and 5 to take every second they are allotted, as think of the trade calls they'll be fielding with the last minute offers and counter offers.

Edited by vike daddy

Pelissero: “They’ve got ѕeveral quаrterbаcks they lіke аt the toр аnd they’ve got other quаrterbаcks they lіke аt а сertain vаlue рoint. You сan аrgue there аre reаsons to belіeve eаch of theѕe guyѕ would fіt іnto whаt they do. I thіnk іt іs ѕafe to ѕay – outѕide of Cаleb Wіllіams who іs goіng to go to Chіcago unleѕѕ ѕomething goeѕ сompletely ѕidewayѕ here – thoѕe other fіve guyѕ, I don’t thіnk you сan rule out аny of them. It’ѕ juѕt а mаtter of аt whаt рoint between round one аnd round two would іt mаke ѕenѕe for the Mіnnesota Vіkіngs."

“And ѕo, everybody іs tаlking, the Pаtriots hаve defіnіtely hаd сonversations. There’ѕ а bunсh of teаms, іncludіng the Vіkіngs, thаt hаve hаd сonversations аbout movіng uр but іt’s а mаtter of whаt doeѕ Wаshington do аt No. 2. The Pats have been ‘oрen for buѕineѕѕ’ to the extent thаt they’ve lіstened, they’ve hаd сonversations but аgаin untіl we know whаt Wаshington doeѕ the Pаtriots аre not goіng to move."

"I thіnk thаt the Pаtriots аt thіs рoint hаve а рretty good іdea of the frаmework of whаt they mіght be аble to get for thаt No. 3 рick. But deрending on whаt hаppens аt No. 2 theіr quаrterbаck mіght be ѕitting there. I would аnticipаte, іf the Pаtriots move іt’s рrobably ѕomething thаt hаppens on the сloсk on Thurѕday nіght аnd the сard іs turned іn аnd we know for сertain who goeѕ No. 2."

“Kweѕi аnd Kevіn аnd thoѕe guyѕ, they’ve done аll the homework. They’ve gone through every ѕcenario. They hаve іn mіnd whаt they would be wіllіng to do to get to сertain рoints. They’ve hаd thoѕe сonversations. Now there’ѕ not а whole lot more you сan do other thаn gаther the fіnal іnformatіon, wаit аnd ѕee аnd be reаdy to рounce on the beѕt oррortunity for the orgаnizаtion.”

https://90rocks.com/65674?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3I0OMc-HoMBo8U9Xrv2VpkrNjxZOdGRX1Ik7CjI7i0wTkQ68xGwmJQklI_aem_Ab0ROw90z5oja9jpsL-aLlaWFrZIR4hGIFlVfkTDeBgn--mfRcZuEnyYyu3VL4_qUEILj1u2WlCK9hD_ohtZpTDp

QBs teams traded up for in the last ten years 2023-2013 within the top 10 selections.  

Bryce Young #1  :2023
Trey Lance #3 :2021
Sam Darnold #3 :2018
Josh Allen #7 :2018
Josh Rosen #10 :2018
Mitchell Trubisky #2 :2017
Patrick Mahomes #10 :2017
Jared Goff #1  :2016
Carson Wentz #2  :2016

The only two on the list who never threw for over 3000 yards in a season, Trey Lance and JJ McCarthy.  Trey did have 35 less passing attempts that one year in college though than McCarthy had last year.  

JJ McCarthy is very similar to Trey Lance because both played on National Title winning teams, both played in offenses that were extremely run based and had solid defenses.  Clear to say McCarthy played with way more talent than Trey Lance did at FCS North Dakota State across the board, historic number of talent based on combine invites.  Trey Lance was hyped because of his age, 20 when he was drafted, JJ McCarthy is 21 when he will be drafted.

Both inexperienced passers but JJ McCarthy does have two full seasons as a starter at a high level, Trey Lance was a RS FR and only played that one year before COVID ended his RS SOPH year and he played that one game total that season.

Both have very limited number of attempts so hard to get an idea of what exactly they can do and cannot do.  Trey Lance was hyped a lot for never throwing an INT yet throwing for 28 TDs and rushing for 14 TDs in that one year. 

Trey Lance was by far a more dangerous runner than JJ McCarthy and that was a huge part of the NDSU offense.  He could run through contact where McCarthy is more a quick fast guy but goes down easily and cannot sustain continued rushing of the football from the QB spot.

Trey Lance is the thicker stronger athlete I would say also, more physically impressive in terms of strength and just straight up bigger in his legs, core and arms.  

Pretty ironic the Vikings signed Sam Darnold as well, because he also so far was greatly overrated in his college career because of his ability to extend plays and make throws downfield while in motion similar to McCarthy but Darnold was a far more proven and accomplished passer compared to McCarthy.  Darnold not really carried that magic into the NFL but also has never had a great system around him as a starting QB either.  Word is he was great for the 49ers last year and we will see, Sam also being a historically young QB and the youngest starting QB ever in NFL history.  So at least if they take JJ he could get some advice from Darnold or better yet not allow him to not touch the field what so ever his first year or two.  

Similar mystery though no question between McCarthy and Lance and what they could or can do coming into the NFL.   But at least Lance had the athletic ability and pure strength/power going for him.  One could at least bank on that for a guy maybe worth the risk to trade up for.  Would be really curious if he never got hurt on the 49ers would he have lost his confidence as quickly and lost playing time as quickly?  Also if Purdy never turned out Lance would of played regardless and maybe developed but still hard to get a read on Lance with only one year of playing football as a starting QB, also the difficult transition form FCS to the NFL.  McCarthy does not have that problem but also is not the athlete Lance was and played on a far more dominating team than Lance played on.

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic