The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

40 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

“There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics”  - Mark Twain. 

Bunk. This quote does so much harm among those that actually believe knowledge is bad. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

“There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics”  - Mark Twain. 

True, but a QB can either throw the football or they cannot.  Today watched Aaron Rodgers old college tape against Utah and Alex Smith after Rodgers replaced then starter Reggie Robertson after two series.  

Even back then Rodgers had really had good pocket fundamentals, had a super quick release, kept the football high up to his ear almost on the drop back.  Strong arm, natural passer who could throw with timing and anticipation in a totally different age of football and not near the spread one has today.  Sure the system he was put in the NFL helped accent his abilities as did sitting and developing for a few years, but the kid at the time could throw the football and there is a reason he was a projected top 5 pick if not #1 overall.

Does not hurt he was coached in college by Jeff Tedford who has a decent history of QB development in college, unlike the history of QB development by Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.  Either way it was not just luck he turned out, and all the talk of say JaMarcus Russell and his arm talent, he had almost zero touch on his passes and pretty piss pour pocket mechanics as well not to mention being overweight.  There is a reason why Joe Milton is not projected as being a 1st rounder, he has an absolute rocket arm but in an open spread offense of Tennessee even he was just ok this past year as a full time starter and honestly expected a lot more out of him but at least he was ok.

You can either make the throws as an NFL QB or you cannot.  You have good pocket awareness and ability to throw in the pocket or you do not.  Sure things can be improved but with no minor league in the NFL you better be pretty damn close to good to go because few teams will or even can sit and wait for you to develop while a Hall of Fame QB remains the starter.  

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Bunk. This quote does so much harm among those that actually believe knowledge is bad. 

So does twisting statistics to fit a preconceived narrative. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Stats can be informative and useful,  but unfortunately, they can be manipulated to support a narrative that is the desired outcome. Political polling is a prime example. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Political polling is a prime example. 

Especially when the only people answering the polls is an extremely limited section of the populace.  😉

Statistics are useful when they are applied fairly. However, there has always been the propensity to use statistics to verify a preconceived idea. I'm guilty of it...we all are.  Ultimately, the statistics/metrics at the college level we've used to justify our positions on these QBs are bunk because they aren't reflective of what will happen at the NFL level...it's all projection...just as saying a QB who has played a total of 3 games at the NFL level is terrible. That's simply projection, not reflective of reality because no QB is a HoFer after 3 games. 

Here's Tom Brady's stat line after 3 games (of extensive playing):  30-57, 300 yds, 0 TDs, 0 Ints, 5 sacks, 2 fumbles

Aaron Rodgers:  30-53, 298 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int, 9 sacks, 3 fumbles

Anthony Richardson: 41-72, 479 yds, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 6 sacks, 2 fumbles

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

With the draft around the bend, Minnesota’s appetite for Drake Maye seems to be sharpening, at least according to the Boston Globe. “I believe that the Vikings want Maye more than the Patriots do. If the Patriots were truly sold on Maye, they wouldn’t consider trading their No. 3 pick,” Boston Globe’s Ben Volin wrote this weekend.

Volin concluded about the Vikings’ and Patriots’ trade state of play: “If the Patriots want Maye at No. 3, there’s nothing the Vikings can do about it, and they’ll likely settle for McCarthy. But if the Patriots pass on Maye, the Vikings should be able to find a willing trade partner in the Chargers, who look like they would love to trade down from No. 5. The Vikings’ No. 11 and 23 picks might be enough to get it done.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/opinion/latest-draft-hint-will-excite-vikings-fans?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

My thought process hasn’t changed in the last 6 weeks. I still believe that New England wants Daniels. If Washington takes Daniels, the #3 pick is for sale. 

And I wouldn’t be shocked if New England likes McCarthy more than Maye, and they do what Arizona did a year ago. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Especially when the only people answering the polls is an extremely limited section of the populace.  😉

Statistics are useful when they are applied fairly. However, there has always been the propensity to use statistics to verify a preconceived idea. I'm guilty of it...we all are.  Ultimately, the statistics/metrics at the college level we've used to justify our positions on these QBs are bunk because they aren't reflective of what will happen at the NFL level...it's all projection...just as saying a QB who has played a total of 3 games at the NFL level is terrible. That's simply projection, not reflective of reality because no QB is a HoFer after 3 games. 

Here's Tom Brady's stat line after 3 games (of extensive playing):  30-57, 300 yds, 0 TDs, 0 Ints, 5 sacks, 2 fumbles

Aaron Rodgers:  30-53, 298 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int, 9 sacks, 3 fumbles

Anthony Richardson: 41-72, 479 yds, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 6 sacks, 2 fumbles

That is correct. But, they have to factor what they did do some in college. If you struggle in college, I just think the NFL is a lot harder.

So, who would you take ( A, B, C or D ) This is the final year of college for 4 players.

A -  2566 yards, 66.1 %, 24 TD’s - 8 INT’s

B - 2217 yards, 61 %, 16 TD’s - 6 INT’s

C- 2549 yards, 53.8 %, 17 TD’s - 9 INT’s

D- 2991 yards, 72.3 %, 22 TD’s - 4 INT’s

Well. Here are the answers 

A- Arron Rodgers 

B- Tom Brady

C- Anthony Richardson

D- JJ. McCarthy 

But I guess nothing matters in college? 

And I guess JJ stats wouldn’t work for some because of trading up for a guy that doesn’t throw for 3000??? ( kind of suck that he missed by 9 yards😂) I guess that means he is gonna fail🤔

Draft week is upon us!

Feeling pretty good at our options in the first round and to be honest there could be half a dozen different outcomes I would be happy with.

Great draft to need a QB and a great draft to have two first round picks

• Like 1

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic