The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Does anyone else see similarities between the 2024 draft class and the 2021 draft class?  

2021 had one elite QB prospect and four other QB prospects with potential that had teams select them in the first round.  2021 had three WRs worth top 10 picks and one elite TE.

In 2021, three QBs were taken with the first three picks with a team trading up to take the last of those three.  It may go like that this year too.  The team that traded up for the third QB did it via a trade that occurred before the draft. The Vikings didn't make as bold of a move up, but traded into the first round seemingly to be positioned to trade up further if the QB they covet is still available at a position they can get to.

Looking at results, three QBs going in the first three picks turned out to be good fortune for the rest of the teams in the top 10; they got some good players.  The 4th QB in the 2021 draft came off the board at pick 11; he has looked much better in the NFL than the second and third QBs selected (even he isn't worth a first-round pick this year).

With this lesson from recent history, I sure hope the Vikings don't feel like they need to draft a QB unless the QB they think is worth it is available to them.  Maybe they take a risk on one at pick 11, but they shouldn't feel like they have to.

In 2021, a common thought was that the 49ers traded up to target Mac Jones.  When they didn't pick him, he slid all the way to pick 15.  Meanwhile, they settled on Trey Lance -- that didn't work out for them either.

In 2021, pick 11 and 23 were Justin Fields and Christian Darrisaw.  That wouldn't be terrible, but the Vikings may be better off flipping that around and taking the QB with the later pick.  The QBs in 2024 may pan out better than the 2021 crop, but if one of the top two QBs on the team's board isn't available in a position the Vikings can trade up for, I really hope they settle and evaluate who the best player is to take when they are scheduled to pick 11th. 

I would hate to see them pass up a Micah Parsons (12th) at 11 because they feel they need to take a Justin Fields.

I would hate even more to see the Vikings lose out on a Christian Darrisaw on top of that potential Parsons because they traded into the top five for a Trey Lance (or Mac Jones).  The thought of also giving away a first round pick the following year would be disgusting if they ended up with something like that.  They should be supremely confident in the player they are targeting before they consider making a trade up.

Which of the QBs this year can they be that confident in?

No. You really can’t compare years. All players different. And it is hard as hell to tell who will be good/great.

Who is to say this class isn’t like the 2020 Season? Top 5 QB’s taken are having great starts to there career. I would think 3 teams that took WR’s that year really liked there picks. But no one knew what Jefferson was gonna be or he would of been the 2nd pick of draft.

So, you can’t compare years…

15 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Yeah...in many ways Zach Wilson is a cautionary figure.  However, Wilson was never going to be a difference maker for the Jets.  1) he was/is somewhat immature and throwing him into the NY market only magnified his immaturity. 2) He has had terrible coaching from the Jets. 3) He played behind possibly the worst line in football. 4) He started way before he was ready.

If McCarthy should be drafted by the Vikings he will be in a market that will be easier to navigate than NY.  He will undoubtedly have better coaching from O'Connell and McGown. The Vikings offensive line is much superior to the Jets.  Hopefully, he would be able to sit and learn behind Darnold for the season allowing him to develop in a way that Wilson never did.  Of course nothing is guaranteed.

Very true but again the talent level on BYU is nothing even close to the talent level JJ McCarthy played with.  

And it sucks but honestly again JJ McCarthy does not have near the arm talent Zach Wilson had.  Zach Wilson could really fling the football with velocity, McCarthy has not shown that.  Thus Wilson to me was worth a risk being selected that high, McCarthy is not and is not on the same level as Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye either.  

10133818.gif?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

10133769.gif?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

0f77414a-b6fd-4c29-ba66-2c409773c7c4_400

96974a66-761d-41f1-85cf-8f55b86909d3_400

56602d3d-bc2d-4bec-b213-2cf5b2e7c553_400

But yes JJ should ideally sit, but even with the common Green Bay Packer comparison, Jordan Love has 10 times the arm talent JJ has as well so that is what stinks.  Would be a lot nicer if McCarthy could throw the ball in the pocket and make wow throws in the pocket and not just scrambling around doing so.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true but again the talent level on BYU is nothing even close to the talent level JJ McCarthy played with.  

And it sucks but honestly again JJ McCarthy does not have near the arm talent Zach Wilson had.  Zach Wilson could really fling the football with velocity, McCarthy has not shown that.  Thus Wilson to me was worth a risk being selected that high, McCarthy is not and is not on the same level as Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye either.  

10133818.gif?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

10133769.gif?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

0f77414a-b6fd-4c29-ba66-2c409773c7c4_400

96974a66-761d-41f1-85cf-8f55b86909d3_400

56602d3d-bc2d-4bec-b213-2cf5b2e7c553_400

But yes JJ should ideally sit, but even with the common Green Bay Packer comparison, Jordan Love has 10 times the arm talent JJ has as well so that is what stinks.  Would be a lot nicer if McCarthy could throw the ball in the pocket and make wow throws in the pocket and not just scrambling around doing so.  

I agree with all you said. I am just pointing out that McCarthy would be coming to a much better situation and Wilson really had no choice in NY.  That being said, McCarthy really doesn't have a noodle for an arm. It will never rival Josh Allen's or Patrick Mahomes.  My hope for McCarthy is that he's a good student.  Perhaps he can learn to maximize the talents he possess under O'Connell. Perhaps he will be nothing more thane an effective game manager. Or, perhaps he will be the second coming of Fran Tarkenton!! We can all hope!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I agree with all you said. I am just pointing out that McCarthy would be coming to a much better situation and Wilson really had no choice in NY.  That being said, McCarthy really doesn't have a noodle for an arm. It will never rival Josh Allen's or Patrick Mahomes.  My hope for McCarthy is that he's a good student.  Perhaps he can learn to maximize the talents he possess under O'Connell. Perhaps he will be nothing more thane an effective game manager. Or, perhaps he will be the second coming of Fran Tarkenton!! We can all hope!

True but fact is Penix Jr is a better passer and has more arm talent in terms of throwing downfield and making tight window throws consistently, also could be just as good of an athlete based on his 40 time and vertical.  As for Nix he is no question bigger and stronger than McCarthy and no question has better short area control of the football and a better quicker release as well with far better ability to run the football.

If I am Sam Darnold I hope they draft JJ McCarthy because if they get Maye, Nix or Penix Jr they will absolutely push him for that starting job where McCarthy not sure he would even come close to it.  

As for Minnesota being this perfect situation for a young QB, no question it is but that is compared to what, the Jets with Zach Wilson. The Vikings were still 10th worst in the NFL in sacks allowed this past year so all this talk of this amazing OL, sure they are good at the tackles on paper but their depth sucks and the interior is a question especially without that LG situation having any solution at the moment.  But sure that is better than a lot of teams.  

• Like 2

Just now, Ozzy said:

True but fact is Penix Jr is a better passer and has more arm talent in terms of throwing downfield and making tight window throws consistently, also could be just as good of an athlete based on his 40 time and vertical.  As for Nix he is no question bigger and stronger than McCarthy and no question has better short area control of the football and a better quicker release as well with far better ability to run the football.

If I am Sam Darnold I hope they draft JJ McCarthy because if they get Maye, Nix or Penix Jr they will absolutely push him for that starting job where McCarthy not sure he would even come close to it.  

As for Minnesota being this perfect situation for a young QB, no question it is but that is compared to what, the Jets with Zach Wilson. The Vikings were still 10th worst in the NFL in sacks allowed this past year so all this talk of this amazing OL, sure they are good at the tackles on paper but their depth sucks and the interior is a question especially without that LG situation having any solution at the moment.  But sure that is better than a lot of teams.  

Based on his 40 time????? Is that how you make observations of QB’..Or is on his 8 yards rushing this year. 

like I said, you have no clue at all. 

Do us all a favor and stop acting like you have any knowledge of how to break down QB’s..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Based on his 40 time????? Is that how you make observations of QB’..Or is on his 8 yards rushing this year. 

Do us all a favor and stop acting like you have any knowledge of how to break down QB’s..

A favor?  Maybe you should open your eyes a little bit, I have provided 7 round mock draft rankings for the past five years and have one right now for 2025 made in February!  I have followed the draft very closely and basically have done that since 2000.  What exactly do you do?  I have no clue who are you are why I even waste the time replying to you.

Edited by Ozzy

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have no clue who are you are why I even waste the time replying to you.

feel free not wasting time here at all.

but first, tell us AGAIN how you feel about McCarthy and trading up for him!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Morlee said:

What would it take to get Washington’s pick? I do believe the Vikings want Daniels. 

it would take three 1st's to just get them to answer the phone.

i'll predict WASH takes Maye. they actually prefer Daniels, because he'd be ready to start sooner, but it appears Daniels' agent is hinting that Daniels doesn't want to play for WASH.

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

A favor?  Maybe you should open your eyes a little bit, I have provided 7 round mock draft rankings for the past five years and have one right now for 2025 made in February!  I have followed the draft very closely and basically have done that since 2000.  What exactly do you do?  I have no clue who are you are why I even waste the time replying to you.

You are right. You have done multiple draft and I have agreed with you on many things before. 

I just don’t get why you keep bashing a QB that has all the tools to be great and has so much room to grow.

Yet, you argue about McCarthy’s athletic ability, yet the stats all show different things when it comes to your favorite in Penix. ( 200 plus rushing yards to 8 )

Im still confused why people care about 40 times and vertical jumps with QBs? Bottom line with QB’s, accuracy….. 

same goes for WR’s. Who cares about the 40.. I’ll take the great route runners with great hands any day of the week I 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

I just don’t get why you keep bashing a QB that has all the tools to be great and has so much room to grow.

some guys in their player evaluations are... literalists, i'll call them.... they look at a player's output in college, and that's what they base their views on, be they positive or negative.

other guys are more like... speculators.... they look at a player's skill set, but look heavily at the intangibles. what can the player become, as opposed to what the player presently is?

it's like identifying stock in a company to purchase. some want the proven, blue chip companies because supposedly you know what you'll get. while others look for companies that they feel can grow to dominate the market, or at least be major players in it.

if you like JJ McCarthy as a prospect, you are betting on the latter. is that a wise move? would buying Microsoft when it was a young, unproven company had been a good move? or should you have stuck with IBM?

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

Here you go again. If you don't like Ozzy's analysis that's cool. How about being constructive though instead of insults. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

feel free not wasting time here at all.

but first, tell us AGAIN how you feel about McCarthy and trading up for him!

I like how you avoided the comment that incited that response from Ozzy to begin with. You're tired of Ozzy's opinion on trading up for McCarthy which is another separate issue. I'm tired of a poster calling Ozzy clueless over and over again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babababa said:

I like how you avoided the comment that incited that response from Ozzy to begin with. You're tired of Ozzy's opinion on trading up for McCarthy which is another separate issue. I'm tired of a poster calling Ozzy clueless over and over again. 

one thing we all have in common is we've all grown tired of waiting for the draft to occur, and answers to happen. and then potentially even more questions.

it's a restless period of time to be a NFL fan.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

one thing we all have in common is we've all grown tired of waiting for the draft to occur, and answers to happen. and then potentially even more questions.

it's a restless period of time to be a NFL fan.

This kind of draft (an inevitable first round QB) only comes around every several years. Maybe 15, if we get lucky. I'll take the good with the bad, Minny has been in the spotlight and it's exciting to have our future's center be "annointed" in a week... but the bad's head is certainly rearing. 

• Like 1

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic