The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So the "speculators" sure that is a thing to some degree, but really no it is not in terms of QBs.  Even guys like Anthony Richardson, he showed big time flashes his last year at Florida and he is a big time athlete obviously because of his size.  JJ McCarthy does not have going for him, being a huge physical athlete that can just succeed by running the football and everything plays off of that, he is too frail for that, so he will have to rely on his arm a lot more which could be a problem because making simple in the pocket throw for him is not always a guaranteed thing.  Thus he is not worth the gamble in my book, if he was Anthony Richardson or Josh Allen physically, yeah sure trade up for him but not JJ McCarthy.  It is a Mark Sanchez thing, young QB, played on a big stage, scrambled around and made plays but is not an elite runner and is not an elite passer either but because of his youth he has assumed development and improvement that may never happen.

I am curious, if you are not willing to base your draft pick for a QB at all on speculation, can you justify drafting McCarthy in the second round even?

I am not sure that I would be able to if I wasn't allowing myself to speculate on McCarthy improving.

After the first round I, personally, am cool on drafting high upside guys that I hope will develop -- including QBs. That is why I have seen McCarthy as a high second round pick pretty much since the college season ended. If I was basing it entirely on his body of work in college, I don't think that I would see him as a second round QB. 

58 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am curious, if you are not willing to base your draft pick for a QB at all on speculation, can you justify drafting McCarthy in the second round even?

I am not sure that I would be able to if I wasn't allowing myself to speculate on McCarthy improving.

After the first round I, personally, am cool on drafting high upside guys that I hope will develop -- including QBs. That is why I have seen McCarthy as a high second round pick pretty much since the college season ended. If I was basing it entirely on his body of work in college, I don't think that I would see him as a second round QB. 

Over drafting for QBs in the 1st round in the last five years,  Zach Wilson and Trey Lance are the most recent obvious examples but that was coming off a COVID year where one did not even play outside of one game and the other played in almost empty or pretty damn empty stadiums.

Daniel Jones would be the next example, and he was 6-5 215 and came from being coached by the great David Cutcliffe in his offense and was coached by the Manning's in the off season at the Manning passing academy.  Was a risk no question the Giants made but they sure kicked the Vikings butt two years ago in the playoffs and he was a force then, not so much last year with the injury issues.  

Only other one in the last five years would be Anthony Richardson and clearly McCarthy is nothing like him physical or in terms of his arm talent.  

What JJ McCarthy has going for him is he won the National Title and is selfless.  Not sure I would want my starting NFL QB to be selfless because honestly not sure that has shown to be a successful way of winning in the NFL.  What team just hands it off to the backs and lets the QB take a back seat?  Pretty much no one in modern NFL football.

Oh JJ McCarthy was coached by Jim Haurbaugh, well here is his list of Michigan QBs, McCarthy is the only one on that list that did not transfer in or transfer out of Michigan.  So I guess looking at that list, great for JJ to have the success he had winning football games, but clearly it was not all him but he did have apart in it.  Would love to see what McCarthy would do on Michigan this up coming season without near the experience at WR or more importantly the depth and leadership on the OL, that would really show what kind of player he is especially with all the pressure on him that there would absolutely be.

JJ McCarthy
Shea Patterson (transferred in from Ole Miss)
Wilton Speight (transferred out to UCLA)
Cade McNamara (transferred out to Iowa)
Brandon Peters (transferred out to Illinois)
Joe Milton (transferred out to Tennessee)
Jake Rudock (transferred in from Iowa)
Dylan McCaffrey (transfeered out to Northern Colorado)
John O'Korn (transfer in from Houston)

Hopefully, we draft Tory Taylor this year. Ryan Wright was not that great last year and Taylor single-handily took over games at some points by being able to pin opponents deep and letting our defense get to work. He would be our punter for the next decade.

41 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Hopefully, we draft Tory Taylor this year. Ryan Wright was not that great last year and Taylor single-handily took over games at some points by being able to pin opponents deep and letting our defense get to work. He would be our punter for the next decade.

nah, a kicker is more important than a punter, and you can't draft both.

yeah, i said it.

Another quote you can’t back up. Richardson sucked at Florida and he is terrible in the NFL. I wouldn’t of took him in the 3rd round..

when are people gonna realize that QB’s are paid to throw the ball. That’s it. Someday teams will figure it out. Ask Brady if ever had to worry about running… 

So yes, McCarthy will be way better than Richardson. And it won’t be hard to do…

• Like 1

The closer we get to the draft the more I want the Vikings to get Michael Penix Jr. He just plays the QB position really well, makes all the throws, and his ball placement is impeccable. His game film is arguably the most fun to watch. Him with Jefferson, Addison and Hockenson will be the greatest show on turf. I don’t think the same can be said about J.J. McCarthy. McCarthy’s game is more like a dual threat Kirk Cousins, with more gutsy improvisation. Although that sounds good, Penix has a chance to be great and put more butts in the seats because nobody would want to miss his perfect downfield and sideline throws, which he made so consistently at Washington. Playing in a dome would actually make him better. Can’t wait for the draft but I think that Penix would be the guy. I don’t know if we’d trade up for him, but I wouldn’t mind it because if 4 QBs go in the top 5 we wouldn’t want someone else to jump ahead of us and take him. In a perfect world though, we’d keep our picks and take Penix Jr. at 11 then Johnny Newton at 23. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Another quote you can’t back up. Richardson sucked at Florida and he is terrible in the NFL. I wouldn’t of took him in the 3rd round..

when are people gonna realize that QB’s are paid to throw the ball. That’s it. Someday teams will figure it out. Ask Brady if ever had to worry about running… 

So yes, McCarthy will be way better than Richardson. And it won’t be hard to do…

why do i feel like this will get a reply...?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

The closer we get to the draft the more I want the Vikings to get Michael Penix Jr. He just plays the QB position really well, makes all the throws, and his ball placement is impeccable. His game film is arguably the most fun to watch. Him with Jefferson, Addison and Hockenson will be the greatest show on turf. I don’t think the same can be said about J.J. McCarthy. McCarthy’s game is more like a dual threat Kirk Cousins, with more gutsy improvisation. Although that sounds good, Penix has a chance to be great and put more butts in the seats because nobody would want to miss his perfect downfield and sideline throws, which he made so consistently at Washington. Playing in a dome would actually make him better. Can’t wait for the draft but I think that Penix would be the guy. I don’t know if we’d trade up for him, but I wouldn’t mind it because if 4 QBs go in the top 5 we wouldn’t want someone else to jump ahead of us and take him. In a perfect world though, we’d keep our picks and take Penix Jr. at 11 then Johnny Newton at 23. 

Penix would be an exciting QB to get.  I would have to hold my breath hoping for his health to hold up, but I believe he has a great shot in the NFL as long as injuries don't hold him back.  Team's will feel differently about how early they can draft the injury risk.  All it takes, though, is one team to feel his recent string of staying healthy is indicative of the previous injuries being an aberration.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Drafting QBs is a crapshoot, always has been and always will be. 

i think this year Drake Maye exemplifies that more than others.

some say he has the highest ceiling (outside of Williams), and then others say he's the type of player that results in coaches/GM's being fired eventually.

• Like 1

Random question, who would you guys consider to be the last "injury prone" QB? Like a QB that people thought he'd be injury prone and was in the NFL? With how protective the NFL are of QBs, it doesn't seem to happen often, but I might just be wrong.

5 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

This would be my ideal scenario as well. He is more mobile than people give him credit for and just throws beautiful balls.

10 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

Random question, who would you guys consider to be the last "injury prone" QB? Like a QB that people thought he'd be injury prone and was in the NFL? With how protective the NFL are of QBs, it doesn't seem to happen often, but I might just be wrong.

I actually sat back and looked at this, and for high profile guys there wasn’t a ton. 

One I do remember people being “concerned” about was Sam Bradford and his shoulder coming out… saying his AC joint would be a common problem for him, which it ended up being…… along with his glass knees. 

Really for the top end guys it doesn’t happen all that often.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I actually sat back and looked at this, and for high profile guys there wasn’t a ton. 

One I do remember people being “concerned” about was Sam Bradford and his shoulder coming out… saying his AC joint would be a common problem for him, which it ended up being…… along with his glass knees. 

Really for the top end guys it doesn’t happen all that often.

RG3

Tua Tagovailoa 

Can't think of others

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic