The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

feel free not wasting time here at all.

but first, tell us AGAIN how you feel about McCarthy and trading up for him!

Because this entire thread isn’t repetitive at this point?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, babababa said:

I like how you avoided the comment that incited that response from Ozzy to begin with. You're tired of Ozzy's opinion on trading up for McCarthy which is another separate issue. I'm tired of a poster calling Ozzy clueless over and over again. 

This i feel should be re posted.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

In terms of WRs, I would take Waddle or Chase over Nabers all day long and really either one over Odunze as well.  Might even take DeVonta Smith over Nabers possibly but probably not over Odunze. 

What about Harrison Jr?

12 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

No. You really can’t compare years. All players different. And it is hard as hell to tell who will be good/great.

Anything that has been done, is possible.  Ozzy, whose opinion I respect highly as he is one of the independent thinkers giving out information, just compared them.  I compared them too.

I notice nobody came up with a QB that they could be confident enough in to trade up for, which was the ultimate question of the post you replied to.  I also notice that nobody that looked at the McCarthy game against Indiana that was posted the other day said that what they saw there looked like first round talent. I am not sure if it was because they didn't want to defend a discussion of that topic that revolves around actual game tape.  It may be just as Mr. @vike daddy said that some are "speculators".  Past performance isn't a guarantee of future returns.

I am somewhat of a speculator too.  I see McCarthy as a QB that has the tools to possibly be an effective NFL QB. It's just for me, when I have to project that much improvement into a players NFL game, I don't see them as a first-round talent. Guys I want that high in the first round will have fewer question marks and a portfolio of solid game tape.

Thank you @Ozzy for having an informed opinion and being willing to defend it.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i'll predict WASH takes Maye. they actually prefer Daniels, because he'd be ready to start sooner, but it appears Daniels' agent is hinting that Daniels doesn't want to play for WASH.

The odds, they are a-changin’.

Two days ago, LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels had emerged as the clear favorite over North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye to be the second overall pick in the 2024 draft, -275 to +215. Now, DraftKings has both at -115. At FanDuel, Daniels was at -250 and Maye was at +185. Now, they’re both -110.

The development comes after the Commanders brought Daniels, Maye, J.J. McCarthy, and Michael Penix Jr. in for a visit on the same day. Daniels’s agent reacted on X, and word is now spreading that perhaps Daniels doesn’t want to go to the Commanders.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/drake-maye-jayden-daniels-now-have-identical-odds-to-go-second-overall

the odds could easily change again....

9 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

Because this entire thread isn’t repetitive at this point?

That's why I don't attempt to discuss McCarthy any longer.  Everyone has staked their positions.  Ultimately, he may not even end up a Viking, so it may have been all fruitless.  We'll see what happens. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Chargers GM Joe Hortiz held his pre-draft press conference and the possibility of trading out of the No. 5 pick was one of the topics of conversation. He said the Chargers “believe strongly” in Harbaugh’s view of the value of their pick in the four quarterback scenario and said that being blown away by an offer was “a good way to look at it” as opposed to a deal that feels like a win for both sides.

Hortiz:  “There’s certainly, ‘It’s too good of a deal’, in terms of what you’re getting back. They have to make it attractive to us for us to move away from those players. The whole, ‘It’s a fair trade, it’s a wash’. I don’t think that’s a trade we’re interested in.”

In a hypothetical trade, Hortiz said they would want “as many picks as we can this year” but also noted the value of stockpiling picks in future seasons if they are attractive enough for the team to delay making their first pick next Thursday night.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/chargers-not-interested-in-fair-trade-for-no-5-has-to-be-attractive-for-us

yeah, yeah... we hear ya. everyone out there posturing during that last week.

Edited by vike daddy

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The odds, they are a-changin’.

Two days ago, LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels had emerged as the clear favorite over North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye to be the second overall pick in the 2024 draft, -275 to +215. Now, DraftKings has both at -115. At FanDuel, Daniels was at -250 and Maye was at +185. Now, they’re both -110.

The development comes after the Commanders brought Daniels, Maye, J.J. McCarthy, and Michael Penix Jr. in for a visit on the same day. Daniels’s agent reacted on X, and word is now spreading that perhaps Daniels doesn’t want to go to the Commanders.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/drake-maye-jayden-daniels-now-have-identical-odds-to-go-second-overall

the odds could easily change again....

He better be careful what he wishes for if the Patriots take him at 3

The only QB I would be willing to trade significant draft capital for would be Maye. High Risk/High Reward Prospect.

I think McCarthy will be an effective NFL QB, his floor may be higher than Mayes, but his ceiling is lower, due to inferior arm talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GermanVike said:

The only QB I would be willing to trade significant draft capital for would be Maye. High Risk/High Reward Prospect.

I think McCarthy will be an effective NFL QB, his floor may be higher than Mayes, but his ceiling is lower, due to inferior arm talent.

None of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees had the “arm talent” of Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf or Jeff George. But their ceilings ended up being pretty high. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Inferior arm talent is also an exaggeration.  It's not a Favre arm, but it's not Christian Ponder either.

We've been spoiled watching Mahomes, Allen, Herbert and Jackson just absolutely rip the ball. 

You don't need an elite arm to succeed though. The Manning boys, Roethlisberger, Brady, Russell Wilson and Foles all helped their team win a ring and none of them had the arm as the ones I just mentioned.

• Like 2

The Broncos gave up multiple first-round picks to get quarterback Russell Wilson. It didn’t work out. Would they give up multiple first-round quarterbacks to get their next quarterback?

G.M. George Paton was asked on Thursday how hard it would be to package a future first-round draft pick with this year’s first-round pick, given that they didn’t have a first-round pick in 2022 or 2023.

Paton: “I would just say if it’s a player that you think can change the landscape of your organization moving forward, like quarterback, then you do whatever it takes to get him. If there’s consensus in the building, a love in the building, you’re aggressive and you try to get him. It doesn’t mean you’re going to get him, but you try. So we’re open to everything. We’re wide open.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/broncos-make-it-clear-that-theyll-try-to-trade-up-for-quarterback-they-love

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

None of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees had the “arm talent” of Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf or Jeff George. But their ceilings ended up being pretty high. 

I always find the term “arm talent” funny. Because no one wants to include accuracy as part of the talent portion. 

• Like 2

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic