The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As Semper indicated, it's only on one facet of an entire package. No one doubts that Williams has the greatest physical skills, but there's a lot more to it than that...and it's on that part on which I question whether he'll ever be able to reach his potential. I think it's absolutely fair to rate him low on this facet. 

And it's partially why the comparison I have had to him this entire process is Cam Newton. Cam Newton had all the talent in the world, but he was never able to put it all together. He made a Super Bowl, but ultimately, had a short career that left a lot on the table.  Williams may be able to do so and prove me wrong, but I just don't have faith in that right now...and I'm not sure Chicago is the place to bring that out of him.

I agree with this. 

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

All are way better than penix. And it’s not even close.

Don’t agree with that at all. His injuries are a concern but he’s going to be one of the best out of the prospects this year. I feel pretty confident in that. But I am human and I could be wrong. We will see I suppose. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

So you are confident that they will be able to get the 3rd or 4th best QB next year and that whoever it is will be better than McCarthy? Or do you think they'll finish bottom 10 and have a chance at one of the top 2?

'There is totally that possibility, or they just take Penix or Nix this year instead of trading everything away for McCarthy.  You do not trade away your entire two year 1st round pick future for a guy who is so limited and lacking in elite passing ability and he is not very elite athletically either.  

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i was reacting to your stat line where you said he didn't complete a single forward pass all game long. were they all behind the line of scrimmage or something?

regardless, i'll never look at one game, be it disastrous or epically good, as the true measurement of any player, particularly a QB.

That is fine, do not look at one game but again the freaking dude did not have any game over 150 yards passing in his final 5 out of 6.  And all of those games were the most important ones against the best competition, so they were either in a total blowout and he did not have to do anything or they were in a close one and barely won it.  If they did win the close one it was because of the run game and the great defense, not JJ McCarthy's passing ability.

Not exactly amazing QB play or a guy one should trade three first round picks away for.  He is just not worth it at all.  Especially when it is not like a 4 QB draft class and then it is over, Nix and Penix are more than capable and could easily be better than McCarthy in the NFL. 

I did not all of a sudden say this, I said this back during the season and back then there was not near the JJ McCarthy talk or hype.  And again people seem to easily forget how poorly he played those last 5 out of 6.  Sure did well against Bama but all the rest, not super impressive or it was a total blowout and he did not really have to do much at all.  I would rather have a QB that had his feet against the fire a bit, and hard to see who he really is as a player because he was in some many flat out blowout games.  Thus not worth the risk because you do not really know what you are getting because of the lack of McCarthy being in many real pressure game situations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I would rather have a QB that had his feet against the fire a bit, and hard to see who he really is as a player because he was in some many flat out blowout games.  Thus not worth the risk because you do not really know what you are getting because of the lack of McCarthy being in many real pressure game situations.

so let me get this straight because i'm not sure of your view here...

are you saying we shouldn't draft McCarthy, and it would be overpaying to trade up to get him? just curious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so let me get this straight because i'm not sure of your view here...

are you saying we shouldn't draft McCarthy, and it would be overpaying to trade up to get him? just curious.

At least I provide rational and plenty of it for my opinion.   You should maybe get back to reading delusional articles about JJ McCarthy on the internet and keep ignoring his play on the field.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

At least I provide rational and plenty of it for my opinion.   You should maybe get back to reading delusional articles about JJ McCarthy on the internet and keep ignoring his play on the field.  

What’s your success rate over the last 5 drafts?

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Define success rate, that is pretty damn obscure. 

In terms of QBs I really did not like recently Josh Rosen actually hated him, really disliked Johnny Manziel, disliked Zach Wilson and really disliked Dwayne Haskins because he was overrated based on who he threw the ball to.  But I did like Trey Lance and surprised he has been so bad so far without playing much, surprised by the development and consistent play of Jared Goff based on his lack of elite arm talent or athletic ability.  And the downfall of Carson Wentz is a surprise to me, especially with how impressive he was athletically with his size and solid arm talent.  Loved Josh Allen though and at the time thought he was arguably the most impressive QB I have ever seen throw the football recently.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

well, you did say McCarthy completed zero forward passes in a game, but i can't find any stat line that showed that to be true. let alone rational.

as to reading delusional articles about McCarthy, i really don't do that. i do however read teen fan mags about him, and i find him dreamy and cool.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Don’t waste your time..

Ozzie has a hard time with true facts. Like the 72% completion percentage. Or the fact he only threw 4 int’s. 

But, he will argue and say he only threw half the attempts. So, add last years stat and that puts his INT’s up to 9… Still better then what his boy Penix threw this year alone ( that would be 11 )

He will also say he can’t throw the deep ball. ( might want to look at the post on the previous page ). He will say he not a good scrambler but forgets his boy Penix rushed for 8 yards all year long. ( and that’s not a mid print. It was 8 yards )

Then he brings up his last 5-6 games and he wasn’t that good (but was fantastic against an elite team in Alabama) But, also forgets that McCarthy was the only QB ( of the top 6 ) to face 6 top 20 defenses throughout the year. ( that’s, not overall ranking because anyone can win 10 plus games when they don’t play any good defenses)

Bottom line, he just doesn’t like him ( don’t know why ) and keeps trying to find any excuse he can. 

what I’m saying is, don’t be surprised if McCarthy isn’t the gem of the class.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I know you didn’t watch any of his games and even if you did, maybe you were just too oblivious to notice his good play. Here, watch this. 

Edited by Purplepride323

I love the success rate question:

Who I wanted ahead of draft, at Vikings picks:

2023 - Addison

2022 - Davis / Hamilton

2021 - Darrisaw / Slater

2020 - Jefferson / Gross-Matos

2019 - Dillard

2018 - Can’t remember, pick was late, correct answer would Be Lamar Jax

• Like 1

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic
  • VikeManDan unlocked and locked this topic