The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

I don't really have a strong enough preference at QB to want to trade up to 3 versus trading up to 5 (and keeping 25 FRP) and taking whoever is left.  If we do trade up to 3, giving up 3 firsts, I would want something back beyond just the 3rd pick... a 25 3rd rounder for example.  Really going to have to trust the FO and coaches with all the evals they have done on QBs and hope it works out. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

All the Penix haters going to look silly!

i think a lot of these QB's' amounts of success will be lifted or deflated from the teams and coaches they end up with.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i think a lot of these QB's' amounts of success will be lifted or deflated from the teams and coaches they end up with.

Ultimately, yes.  I think whoever KOC or the DB Payton get will end up being a decent QB.  I'm not sure I can say the same about the Commanders (because of Kingsbury) or Raiders (Getsy).

Man, I just looked at that Raiders offensive coaching staff...and it's bunch of recognizable names, but they also all appear to be from historically different schemes.  I'm not sure how that's going to work together.  I also love how they have one good RB coaching their RBs (Cadillac Williams) and another one coaching their WRs (Edgar Bennett).  And I won't mention their TEs coach, because of his ties to the worst season in Vikings' history (not his fault though since he wasn't even born yet). 🤣

Edited by swede700

Here’s how I look at it.

If you identify a QB as a franchise level QB, as “the guy”, then you should be trading up as high as you possibly can to make sure you get him. 

If you’re telling yourself that you can wait and see how the board falls, then you haven’t identified that franchise QB. And if you haven’t identified a QB as a franchise guy, then you shouldn’t be drafting them. 

If you’re more worried about the cost of trading up than you are confident in the QB you’re trying to trade up for, then you haven’t identified that franchise QB. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Here’s how I look at it.

If you identify a QB as a franchise level QB, as “the guy”, then you should be trading up as high as you possibly can to make sure you get him. 

If you’re telling yourself that you can wait and see how the board falls, then you haven’t identified that franchise QB. And if you haven’t identified a QB as a franchise guy, then you shouldn’t be drafting them. 

If you’re more worried about the cost of trading up than you are confident in the QB you’re trying to trade up for, then you haven’t identified that franchise QB. 

I didn't think that last part is true. You can still take a chance he's good if he falls. But yes, if you believe in a guy, go get him. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

from my final daze haze...

Caleb goes #1, yawn...
i think Washington and New England stick with their picks at 2 and 3....
QB's go 1-2-3...

the NYG's try to make a move for AZ's #4 at the same time Kwesi is on the phone with them...
either AZ decides that no one is offering enough to trade or just wants to stay put at 4, and drafts their favorite receiver...
or... AZ does trade with us, and then moves up themselves from 11...

Kwesi cooks a deal with the LA Chargers at 5, and we take QB4...
presumably that's McCarthy or Maye, and probably McCarthy...
but if Maye is available at 5, expect Kwesi to offer whatever it takes to get him...

i don't see Denver as a trade up threat as they just don't have the firepower to get to 2-5, and the Raiders' GM doesn't have a history of trading up, i have read.

the team to outbox is the Giants. but i think what we would offer would be more tantalizing to trade partners then what the G-Men can.

@Acgott... your views?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And if you haven’t identified a QB as a franchise guy, then you shouldn’t be drafting them. 

Vehemently disagree with this statement.  Teams that don't have a franchise QB should be taking chances on guys that they think can be franchise QBs every single year IMO.

How high a team should draft a QB depends on what they feel the probability is that a player may become a franchise QB.

Other teams may value a QB higher, which will prevent a team from selecting a QB each year.  If that happens too often an organization ought to reevaluate which probability of a player becoming a franchise QB they should draft in which round. They should also evaluate whether they are estimating the probability of a prospect becoming a franchise QB accurately.

Personally, with a first round pick I would be hoping for a prospect that I think has a 50% chance of becoming a franchise QB. Likewise, to give up three first round picks I would want to feel that a prospect had about an 87.5% chance of becoming a franchise QB.

There isn't a QB available in this draft that I feel has an 87.5% chance of being a franchise QB.  Ergo, there is no way I would trade away three first round picks to draft a QB this year.  There are a few that I estimate to have a 50% chance of success.  I would be happy to draft those guys using a single first round pick.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think DEN is going to give up alot to move up and get the 4th QB (maybe in the ATL spot). Payton didn’t sign up to DEN to start a 3rd stringer and backups at QB.

who's to say QB4 is available at #8, though...?

Denver is in a bind, trade wise. they have future assets to play with, but not much upfront in 2024:

2.nothing

7.256 (Ms Irrelevant)

i just don't see what they have, when all the toward the top teams are saying they want super high value for a trade.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1