The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

Minnesota Vikings draft picks 2024:

1st round pick
2nd round pick
4th round pick (via DET in Hockenson trade)
4th round pick
5th round pick (via KC in 2023 Draft)
6th round pick

(potential pick(s) for Cook or Za'Darius?)

Hard to say what positions we'd be looking for, but if anyone wants to give it a try, here's a thread for it...

Edited by vike daddy

Some here have said the 2024 draft is when the Vikings address their QBOF.  Further, it's been stated that the 2024 QB class is deep. Assuming  that the Vikings draft in the mid to late 1st round, who do you think will be available? Do the Vikings move up?

Is the class really going to be deep?  I always am suspicious of that claim, as it never seems to work out that way, except for the class of '83, of course. 

On 4/30/2023 at 10:09 AM, JDBrocks said:

This class does seem to have a lot of high ceiling QBs.

Williams
Maye
Penix
Ewers
Nix

All of these guys stand out to me as potential first rounders.

I actually really like Bo Nix as a fit for the Vikings.

Spencer Rattler as well. Look for a monster season from him. His game against Clemson last year was very impressive. 

That move at 4:37 to get away from Trotter (the best LB in college football) was insane. He has special elusiveness, to go along with a quick release and accurate arm. One of my favorite QBs from next year’s class. I also like the fact that he’s won over two separate locker rooms and has improved at both places. He seems like a guy that his teams love. I know that we highly value that trait, especially from a QB. 

Edited by Purplepride323

Not a fan of Rattler as a leader. Very off- putting character.

I’m not sure I’d say he’s won over two locker rooms. Lots of stuff out there about his teammates not liking him at OU, and plenty of bad looking stuff from him in games.

Edited by JDBrocks

59 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Not a fan of Rattler as a leader. Very off- putting character.

I’m not sure I’d say he’s won over two locker rooms. Lots of stuff out there about his teammates not liking him at OU, and plenty of bad looking stuff from him in games.

I think he was just going through a tough time. He was a freshman sensation, that got replaced by another freshman sensation the very next year. That’s an extremely rare scenario. I think him being the starting QB at two different schools is equivalent to him winning over the locker room. If the guys in the locker room didn’t like him, he wouldn’t be on the team. Again he’s only 22 years old and he’s still a kid. I wouldn’t overlook his talent and potential, even if he’s a bit odd or has a fiery personality. I actually want my QB to have a fiery personality. Sometimes that’s what gets the players going. 

Edited by Purplepride323

I encourage you to go read up on him. He’s been a divisive personality since high school, with video evidence. There are credible reports out there about the OU locker really NOT liking him. Being a starter in two places is NOT the equivalent of winning a locker room. It is indicative of his talent and the pressure that big schools feel to succeed.

There’s a difference between a fiery personality and being a jerk. 

anyway, I don’t want to dominate this thread with Spencer Rattler talk - we can revisit when he declares. Maybe he matures some and his issues are behind him. For now I don’t want him anywhere near the Vikings. There are more talented players at the position without those question marks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Some here have said the 2024 draft is when the Vikings address their QBOF.  Further, it's been stated that the 2024 QB class is deep. Assuming  that the Vikings draft in the mid to late 1st round, who do you think will be available? Do the Vikings move up?

Is the class really going to be deep?  I always am suspicious of that claim, as it never seems to work out that way, except for the class of '83, of course. 

Doesn’t even look like we’ve got much draft assets to make a move, would assume it may cost a 2025 first.

Top Ten 2023-24 College QB's:

1. Caleb Williams, USC 
Williams (6-1, 218) is a franchise quarterback. It’s going to be tough to duplicate the numbers from last season, where he totaled 4,537 passing yards, 42 TDs and five interceptions with 382 rushing yards and 10 TDs. But Williams’ uncanny ability to make spectacular plays has drawn comparisons to Patrick Mahomes, and the addition of Kliff Kingsbury to the USC coaching staff will only conjure more of those parallels. There are few weaknesses, though analysts will come after Williams for a few off-balance throws. The play-making ability outweighs those concerns by a lot. 

2. Drake Maye, North Carolina 

Maye (6-5, 220) is the tallest quarterback on this list, and he offers a blend of skills that’s going to keep him in the conversation for No. 1 pick. Maye had a breakout season with 4,321 passing yards, 38 TDs and seven interceptions, and he added 698 yards and seven TDs. He had six games with at least 300 yards passing and three or more TDs last season. Maye will face some of the same nit-picks as Williams as far as off-balance throws and whether he leaves the pocket too soon, but he’s the second franchise quarterback in this draft. 

3. Shedeur Sanders, Colorado
Sanders (6-2, 215) is the wild card on this top 10. His production at Jackson State cannot be questioned, totaling 6,963 passing yards with 70 TDs and 14 interceptions the last two seasons. Now, Sanders will have a chance to start the Colorado rebuild under Deion Sanders. How will Shedeur stack up against FBS competition? This might be a year early on the projection, but the high-level play should continue with the Buffaloes in 2023. 

4. Quinn Ewers, Texas
Meet next year’s version of Will Levis. Ewers (6-3, 206) might have the strongest arm in this year’s class, and he has a five-star pedigree. Ewers had 2,177 yards, 15 TDs and six interceptions last season. Put in the game film from last year’s matchup against Alabama before Ewers was hurt. That ability to throw over the top is there, but Ewers needs to improve his accuracy (58.1%), not to mention hold off Arch Manning for at least one more year with the Longhorns. Ewers has the NFL skillset, but consistency is the question. Get ready for Jeff George comparisons. They’re coming. 

5. Michael Penix Jr., Washington
Penix (6-3, 218) transferred from Indiana and led Washington to a 11-win season. He led the FBS in total offense with 364.1 yards per game, and he kept a 65.8% completion percentage as a high-volume passer. Injuries derailed Penix’s career with the Hoosiers before the transfer, but he showed how dynamic he can be again — and his decision making in the Huskies’ offense stayed on point. He won’t get talked about as much as the other top quarterbacks, but the first-round upside is there. 

6. Bo Nix, Oregon
Nix (6-3, 214) is a four-year college player who is taking advantage of one more season with the Ducks. The Auburn transfer had a breakout season in 2021 with 3,593 yards, 29 TDs and seven interceptions. He added 510 rushing yards and 14 TDs. The efficiency jump from his Auburn career was drastic, and Nix has enough size and improv skills outside the pocket to get a look in the NFL. He’s finally lived up to the five-star hype, and there is room to move up. 

7. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
McCarthy (6-3, 197) will be one of the more polarizing choices if he decides to leave the Wolverines after his junior season. McCarthy has a live arm and doesn’t make too many mistakes. He has 27 TDs and seven interceptions the last two seasons, and he’s totaled seven rushing TDs with a knack for extending plays outside the pocket. The deep-ball passing game was an issue for most of last season, but he improved with an impressive late-season stretch. Michigan hasn’t had a first-round quarterback since Jim Harbuagh in 1987. McCarthy has a chance to break that streak if he takes the next step. 

8. Jayden Daniels, LSU
Daniels (6-3, 185) had a resurgent year for the Tigers after transferring from Arizona State. He passed for 2,913 yards, 17 TDs and three interceptions, and he added 885 rushing yards and 11 TDs. Daniels’ performance in the thrilling 32-31 victory against Alabama showed how tantalizing that dual-threat ability can be, but he was held to less than 200 yards against the Crimson Tide and against Georgia in the SEC championship game. Daniels faces higher expectations in his second season with Brian Kelly, but the opportunity for more improvement stands. 

9. Sam Hartman, Notre Dame
Hartman (6-1, 208) is the ACC’s all-time leader in passing TDs (110) and ranks second in career yards (12,967). He had a productive career at Wake Forest, and now the graduate transfer faces the pressure of playing at Notre Dame. Hartman still has to win the starting job over Tyler Buchner, and he will be working with a new offensive coordinator in Gerad Parker. The Irish’s last three quarterbacks drafted — Ian Book (2021), DeShone Kizer (2017) and Jimmy Clausen (2010) — were either Day 2 or Day 3 picks. That’s the range for Hartman right now. 

10. Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
This is Rattler’s third appearance on this list, and it’s been an up-and-down four years for the five-star recruit who transferred from Oklahoma heading into the 2022 season. Rattler (6-1, 200) settled in with South Carolina late in the season with a three-game stretch against Tennessee, Clemson and Notre Dame where he averaged 348 yards passing per game with 10 TDs and three interceptions. Rattler completed 68.9% of his passes in that stretch. The talent is there, but Rattler must cut down on the interceptions. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2024-quarterbacks-rankings-caleb-williams-drake-maye/uw3ukpzmrqxt1zhe6yyzkpeu

Edited by vike daddy

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Doesn’t even look like we’ve got much draft assets to make a move, would assume it may cost a 2025 first.

So be it, unless they work something out with Cousins for another season or two. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

This class does seem to have a lot of high ceiling QBs.

Williams
Maye
Penix
Ewers
Nix

All of these guys stand out to me as potential first rounders.

I actually really like Bo Nix as a fit for the Vikings.

Hasn't Bo Nix been in college for like 6 years?😉

Again, while not nearly as bad as Hendon Hooker, you're going to run into the same issues of age, as he'll be 24 by the time he's drafted.  How much upside does he have?  At least right now, I don't really have the same amount of concerns as Hooker, because he actually was productive at Auburn as well, and didn't just come out of the woodworks at Oregon. 

• vike daddy changed the title to The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...
  • VikeManDan locked this topic