Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

No legal expert but wouldn't Rogers have to actually implicate Kimmel as doing something illegal? Saying, "he's on a list," doesn't qualify as Kimmel actually doing anything illegal. There is an implication but no actual legal malice, I don't believe.

If he said he was on the list, went to the Island and engaged in certain behaviors, that is another story. 

Again, I'm no legal expert and I know you can sue anybody for anything, but that doesn't mean there is a legal case here. Unless Rodgers went further and I'm unaware of those comments.

Also, I think it's sort of funny how Kimmel can dish it out but can't take it. I will admit there is a big difference between trashing somebody over their medical takes vs. allegedly being associated with Epstein.  

@Daniel

Thinking you were someone with experience with the law who was talking about Oher a few months ago.

Any way you could offer an opinion?

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

@Daniel

Thinking you were someone with experience with the law who was talking about Oher a few months ago.

Any way you could offer an opinion?

I'll qualify this by saying the Oher stuff happened in Tennessee, which is the only state I'm licensed to practice law in, and this sounds like a defamation issue, which I have no experience litigating, so other lawyers on here may know more, especially those that practice wherever this took place (definitely not Tennessee, lol).  Defamation (libel or slander) requires either writing or speech that is damaging to another in some way.  Generally, truth is a defense to a defamation suit.

Funnily enough, this list came from a defamation suit filed by one of Epstein's victims, and those are the documents getting unsealed.

However, IIRC, jokes are a big avenue of exception to defamation, but I don't know the standard.  Essentially, you're allowed to make jokes, so long as the joke isn't something that you're actually trying to get people to believe.

So in the realm of a defamation suit, I think Kimmel would have a lot of problems.  One, it might be true.  That would bar him.  Two, Rodgers can say it's a joke with the context that Kimmel ran a clip of McAfee's show and did a bit, or whatever.  Three, he could say he honestly and reasonably believed that Kimmel would be on the list, which I think is another defense to defamation.  So maybe he can sue, but it looks to me like he'd have a really tough time coming out on top, other than the oft used strategy of suing anyway just to make a headache for the person you're suing.

All that said, again, defamation is not my field of expertise (I'm a DA, and before that, my practice was about 90 percent criminal law), so if any other lawyers here disagree, they're probably right.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'll qualify this by saying the Oher stuff happened in Tennessee, which is the only state I'm licensed to practice law in, and this sounds like a defamation issue, which I have no experience litigating, so other lawyers on here may know more, especially those that practice wherever this took place (definitely not Tennessee, lol).  Defamation (libel or slander) requires either writing or speech that is damaging to another in some way.  Generally, truth is a defense to a defamation suit.

Funnily enough, this list came from a defamation suit filed by one of Epstein's victims, and those are the documents getting unsealed.

However, IIRC, jokes are a big avenue of exception to defamation, but I don't know the standard.  Essentially, you're allowed to make jokes, so long as the joke isn't something that you're actually trying to get people to believe.

So in the realm of a defamation suit, I think Kimmel would have a lot of problems.  One, it might be true.  That would bar him.  Two, Rodgers can say it's a joke with the context that Kimmel ran a clip of McAfee's show and did a bit, or whatever.  Three, he could say he honestly and reasonably believed that Kimmel would be on the list, which I think is another defense to defamation.  So maybe he can sue, but it looks to me like he'd have a really tough time coming out on top, other than the oft used strategy of suing anyway just to make a headache for the person you're suing.

All that said, again, defamation is not my field of expertise (I'm a DA, and before that, my practice was about 90 percent criminal law), so if any other lawyers here disagree, they're probably right.

Thank you very much for this explanation.  It did not disappoint!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I mean Kimmel didn’t threaten legal action for what has been said, only if Rodgers pushes it further.  So, until that happens, it’s all sort of moot. 

I guess the point is some were speculating Rodgers had some libel culpability here. So, even if Rodgers continued saying he heard Kimmel was on some list, he's not libel, according to one lawyer whose admitted this is not his area of expertise. 

It's quite childish or Rodgers to continue without actual proof, but Rodgers is definitely a *** for tat sort of guy. Kimmel was on him about his choices during COVID and how evasive he was. 

12 hours ago, Bcv said:

i wonder if he’ll one day realize his one special talent is football and that he doesn’t need to pretend that he’s smart outside of that. 

On a relate note, think Kimmel will realize his "special talent" was creepy videos of girls jumping on trampolines/Karl Malone impersonator to a self-proclaimed moral compass judge/scientist/social commentator?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

On a relate note, think Kimmel will realize his "special talent" was creepy videos of girls jumping on trampolines/Karl Malone impersonator to a self-proclaimed moral compass judge/scientist/social commentator?

😂

Damn it! I almost spit out my coffee! 

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

to me, it felt like a joke from Rodgers. Kimmel took a jab at him, and he made a back. I suspect nothing at all comes of it unless Rodgers takes it further (which he won't because he's a smart guy)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Now imagine a world with enough half-wits in it that listen to unfounded conspiracy theory BS like this and threaten Kimmel and/or his family over it......................

Imagine a world with enough half-wits in it that listen to unfounded conspiracy theory BS like what is in the monologue at the beginning of every Jimmy Kimmel show.  

Rodgers wants the list of pedophiles made public.  Jimmy wants that list not to be made public.  Why is that?

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Imagine a world with enough half-wits in it that listen to unfounded conspiracy theory BS like what is in the monologue at the beginning of every Jimmy Kimmel show. 

The only JK stuff I see is blurbs that are posted on social media....but it must just be an algorithm thing cause I've never seen or heard of him calling somebody (or insinuating that someone's) a pedophile without a shred of evidence. Guess I just missed it.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

When he was mocking Rodgers earlier in the year for wanting the list to be made public, perhaps?

seems like the biggest stretch in the world to assume a comedian believes everything his writers write for him