Year 2 of the KO'C Offense

vike daddy

Cousins: "Last year they had to 'hold my hand' to call the play, where it was like, 'I don't even know how to say this play. When you call it, I can't see it in my head, so I can't call it.' So to be able to have the play come in and just – boom! – call two plays in the huddle and let's go. It's just night and day from last year. So you'd like to think that starting in a much further spot in May advances everything – to August, to September, you're just more comfortable."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kirk-cousins-contract-future-play-caller?fbclid=IwAR3iQ3fawLM4rQoSGPfMKNqMT_GTGl1W3xq34E4k_4E8YNxCUw3twJmjHbk

• Like 1

So if things break the right way - Ingram continues to get better/takes a big leap after year 1, Addison picks up the offense quickly, Hock and JJ get new deals, everyone stays healthy - There's no reason this shouldn't be a top 5 offense that plays more consistently over the course of a game this year. I'm looking for more creativity out of O'Connell, though. He needs to be able to adapt more quickly to what defenses are doing. He's got all of the weapons that he could ask for and now it's on him to be able to deploy them in ways that will make them most productive, quarter to quarter, and even drive to drive.

• Like 3

• QB back
  • Upgrade at WR2 (Addison)
  • Upgrade at TE2 (Oliver)
  • Same returning OL (hopefully Ingram takes a big step forward)
  • Downgrade (slight?) at RB1?

The offense should be primed to at least maintain production but hopefully become more consistent and take that next step into elite territory. They need to start firing on all cylinders for the entire game rather than certain stretches. 

I hope KO has done some self scouting to see where he can improve as a situational play-caller with this offense.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

So if things break the right way - Ingram continues to get better/takes a big leap after year 1, Addison picks up the offense quickly, Hock and JJ get new deals, everyone stays healthy - There's no reason this shouldn't be a top 5 offense that plays more consistently over the course of a game this year. I'm looking for more creativity out of O'Connell, though. He needs to be able to adapt more quickly to what defenses are doing. He's got all of the weapons that he could ask for and now it's on him to be able to deploy them in ways that will make them most productive, quarter to quarter, and even drive to drive.

I'd like a lot less long passes on third and short. Possession is key!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Nice to see the optimism here.

All in all, the '22-23 season was exceptional and an excellent one to build on, given a new coach who was new to coaching, and a new GM who was new to GM'ing.

Ya, I think people underestimate this.....the continuity should be huge for Kirk, as he's already said.

• Like 2

Here's the motivational line I'm sure all the coaches will be using:

"Are we a better team than last year? Are you here to improve our team? We won 13 games last year, you want to win fewer?"

14 or 15 wins next year...? Oof, gives me chills as a Viking fan.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that Chandler takes a big leap forward this year and supplants Mattison as RB1. I think he offers more as a pass-catcher than Mattison. I'd be happy if McBride took that role too, if he can show he can be a receiving threat. I prefer a bell-cow back over a committee because it makes the offense a little less predictable, but as long as the RBs are more efficient than Dalvin was last year, I'll be pleased and think the offense will be even better in year two. 

Fun Fact: Chandler, Mattison and McBride are all listed at 5'11". Their respective weights are 204, 216, and 209.  Dalvin is 5'10" and 209, and Kene is 6'1' and 209.