Year 2 of the KO'C Offense

vike daddy

I’m in the camp of bringing in some from outside the staff to replace Philips as OC. 

Like Zimmer with the defense, we all know that O’Connell is the de facto OC and mastermind of the offense, but I’d like to see them bring in someone with a really good mind for the running game to pair with O’Connell’s mind for the passing game. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m in the camp of bringing in some from outside the staff to replace Philips as OC. 

Like Zimmer with the defense, we all know that O’Connell is the de facto OC and mastermind of the offense, but I’d like to see them bring in someone with a really good mind for the running game to pair with O’Connell’s mind for the passing game. 

I'd say Eric Bienemy but im guessing he will be Washington's Head Coach next season.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What do we make of this?

I think that type of statement could be taken extremely out of context, so I'm going to have to listen to what he said myself.  That may be Luke's interpretation, but it sounds like he may have twisted into it a negative. 

• Like 1

I don't know what O'Connell said, but the overall tone of that sequence suggested exactly what Braun interpreted.

It really really felt like KOC wanted to burn as much clock as he could (not much), just get through 3 plays without a turnover and then pin the bears deep so the defense could drop them.

Which was a huge mistake with 2 minutes and 3 timeouts remaining for the bears.

I like O'Connell a lot but these late game failures are something he needs to grow from and overcome because that sequence was pretty inexcusable.

• Like 1

He needs to be more calculated with his aggression.

Coming out of the half I didn't like the decision to go for it on 4th and 7 at midfield in a 3-3 ball game with the way the defense had been playing.

Those also appeared to be 2 very basic run plays before the 2-minute warning. Yes, the Bears burned their remaining TO's but with a chance to win/seal the game for a 2nd week in a row the offense fell short and shifted the burden back to the defense.

5 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I don't know what O'Connell said, but the overall tone of that sequence suggested exactly what Braun interpreted.

It really really felt like KOC wanted to burn as much clock as he could (not much), just get through 3 plays without a turnover and then pin the bears deep so the defense could drop them.

Which was a huge mistake with 2 minutes and 3 timeouts remaining for the bears.

I like O'Connell a lot but these late game failures are something he needs to grow from and overcome because that sequence was pretty inexcusable.

Didn’t really have to deal with it much last year since luck was always on our side given the ridiculous record in one score games. Different story now and certainly a growing year for him. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Didn’t really have to deal with it much last year since luck was always on our side given the ridiculous record in one score games. Different story now and certainly a growing year for him. 

I'll grant that the Buffalo game was lucky with Allen fumbling the snap, but otherwise the team just made winning plays. Losing Cousins this year is it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I agree.  I think most of the turnovers have been interceptions and fumbles by the QB. I wonder if the turnovers could have been mitigated slightly by O'Connell having a little more patience with the running game?

He wasn't allowed to have patience when they were getting less than 2 yards on first down fairly consistently early in the season.  Over the season, they've been fairly balanced on 1st down (199 attempts rushing to 200 passing) and it seems to have been more effective lately, but they struggled a lot early...and were fumbling the ball.