Year 2 of the KO'C Offense

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I think the biggest mistake KO made regarding Dobbs was from a talent eval perspective.

I believe he thought Dobbs was capable enough to grow into the offense and he was also rewarding Dobbs high level play vs Atlanta and New Orleans (meaning he gave him a longer leash based on those performances).

Based on what we've seen from Mullens, I can't say I really blame O'Connell for thinking Dobbs had a higher ceiling to be tapped. Ultimately, the switch should have been made during the Bears game

Agreed.  When Dobbs wasn't progressing in the offense (and actually was regressing) that's when the plug had to be pulled.  It just should have been sooner than it was.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  When Dobbs wasn't progressing in the offense (and actually was regressing) that's when the plug had to be pulled.  It just should have been sooner than it was.

The result are still probably the same tho is the thing.

Maybe... Maaaaybe they win the bears game if Mullens is out in, but idk

Just now, Dolmonite26 said:

The result are still probably the same tho is the thing.

Maybe... Maaaaybe they win the bears game if Mullens is out in, but idk

It's something we'll never know...as we'll never know what would have happened had Hall not gotten concussed.

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sounds like regular coach talk..

I know we trotted out a rookie and our fourth starting QB but it’s clear this team had no business competing for a playoff spot. Outlook might be completely different right now if Dobbs doesn’t have those two random good games that led to wins. We may have been finished awhile ago.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

Our last win was 3-0. 
we’re a pretty bad team that needs alot of off season fortune. KOC offense is very in flexible. KOC going to be fighting for Kirk to return and maybe use the 1st on a non-QB position

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Outlook might be completely different right now if Dobbs doesn’t have those two random good games that led to wins. We may have been finished awhile ago.

I'll never cheer for them to lose but that would've definitely been the better outcome. I'd like to think the players could see the writing on the wall, so to speak, once the Cousins injury happened. They knew it would be an uphill climb to make the playoffs and they battled their butts off as long as they could given the circumstances.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Our last win was 3-0. 
we’re a pretty bad team that needs alot of off season fortune. KOC offense is very in flexible. KOC going to be fighting for Kirk to return and maybe use the 1st on a non-QB position

KOC definitely has things he can work on and improve, as do most, if not all, head coaches in the NFL. He was dealt an awful hand with the amount of injuries and turnovers we had this season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'll never cheer for them to lose but that would've definitely been the better outcome. I'd like to think the players could see the writing on the wall, so to speak, once the Cousins injury happened. They knew it would be an uphill climb to make the playoffs and they battled their butts off as long as they could given the circumstances.

Exactly, sure we won some games with Dobbs but the likely outcome was getting dismantled in the playoffs. Fortunately it happened week 16 in we’re still in the hunt for a top 10 pick. Rallying around backup QBs who likely won’t be back just never seemed like a winning strategy long term as opposed to actually getting the draft capital to make needed improvements. The team and coaches didn’t give up and that’s great to see so I don’t think there’s a culture issue in Mn. This year, we’ve got a QB and defensive issue. Hopefully Cousins fixes the QB issue for a year, don’t know what they do on defense other than add more talent. 

• Like 1

On the bright side, Kirk's injury happening when it did is much less painful than it happening later in the season after securing a playoff spot and giving fans hope, only to watch Mullens or Hall gets destroyed in a playoff game. 

• Like 3

At this point, im just hoping they can settle on a 2 year new deal with some void years, drop the cap number down and retain Hunter. Bringing Kirk to pump up the crowd the last game, takes some background organization/committment where it’s likely the brass wants him back

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

At this point, im just hoping they can settle on a 2 year new deal with some void years, drop the cap number down and retain Hunter. Bringing Kirk to pump up the crowd the last game, takes some background organization/committment where it’s likely the brass wants him back

They are frankly all morons if they don’t want him back. Wouldn’t be too surprising if the analytics side of the organization wants to move on to justify not spending the money.