Year 2 of the KO'C Offense

vike daddy

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Losing their first two games isn’t fun, but when the offense is playing really well, that’s a huge win. After averaging 5.9 yards per play against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Vikings averaged a whopping 6.44 yards per play against the Eagles. That would give you a first down every other play. Really impressive stats from the Vikings and something they can hang their hat on.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-stats-2023-season-justin-jefferson-danielle-hunter/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem_manual&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3MdYoJCRgA8WuG0B4U2_V-ujfiuhjnKJ3bmKJdG4tQrrJB15g7CfUhSbM

Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers. They’re 0-2 due to self inflicted wounds. They can possibly overcome their inadequacies against the run. But not if they turn the ball over more than once a game. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

There was plenty of reason to believe the Vikings hired the right coach when they went 13-4 in his rookie year. After starting 1-4 and losing star wide receiver Justin Jefferson to a strained hamstring this season, O'Connell has provided a far more relevant body of work.

The Vikings (5-4) have won four straight games at a significant disadvantage, particularly at Atlanta when they turned to Dobbs, who had had no practice time with the first-team offense, and they did so without Jefferson and standout left tackle Christian Darrisaw. Wide receiver K.J. Osborn was lost to injury in the process, too.

O'Connell:  “I just view it as an opportunity to help these guys, help whoever is playing quarterback. You just try to coach them through the perspective of, ‘What does this player need from me right now to have success?’ My job is to lead. It’s not always just scheme.”

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/nfl/vikings/vikings-stay-afloat-behind-oconnells-steady-coaching/89-517af30c-c447-4cd5-bcda-a24930ee6969?fbclid=IwAR0KOzE7BhSnOivxN96BkN896OaxCnUmHMDANGopD7pL6BR3s-7lnDarI9Y

• Like 2

KOC: "The sky was never falling to those guys in that locker room. I can remember vividly standing in front of them the Monday after we did go 0-3 and I can remember the message was I felt, you know, all of us together included working forward to accomplish something special was one of the greatest opportunities we would have professionally. You know, adversity, truly, if you look at it as an opportunity and you have your football team all looking inward and trying to be the best versions of themselves for that greater good of trying to accomplish something special, I am of the belief that we can continue to go out and write our own story. And we’re holding the pen."

"There’s a lot of challenges out in front of us. We got to laser our focus like we’ve done each opportunity, each day, each meeting, each walkthrough, each practice. And when you do it the way these guys have, and you got the leadership we do, my expectation is things will continue to be what we’ve been.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-kevin-oconnell-quotes-josh-dobbs-dj-wonnum-kirk-cousins/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0UhqtlqV88Lq_QOTcIUof24fvUwM9ClcXTxKr5vrFJ52G01pSXyyN5utI

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

heck no, sorry.

he's doing a GREAT job with the receivers, keep him there as long as he wants to be.

If it came down to promoting him or losing him to be an OC elsewhere, I'd have to think long and hard about that promotion. If he wants to be a WR coach forever, then great - I'm with you.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

heck no, sorry.

he's doing a GREAT job with the receivers, keep him there as long as he wants to be.

He got a handful of OC interviews last year, probably only a matter of time before he moves on.

With Phillips though, I'm not sure he's very high on the list of potential HC candidates.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I feel like Keenan McCardell should be promoted to OC if Wes Phillips leaves

Why? Do you think he offers something as OC that he doesn’t as the WR coach? Or that Philips doesn’t currently offer as the OC? Or are you elevating his title simply to make it harder for another team to hire him away?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why? Do you think he offers something as OC that he doesn’t as the WR coach? Or that Philips doesn’t currently offer as the OC? Or are you elevating his title simply to make it harder for another team to hire him away?

If McCardell desires to be a head coach if you’re KOC you should be looking to move him up if he’s ready for a promotion like any good leader would. 

• Like 2

Mostly I think he deserves a promotion and I'd rather him get it here.  He can still do some work with the WRs but I think he could help prepare the whole offense to play the way that the WRs seem prepared. 

If he's happy just coaching WRs I'd be fine keeping him there to also

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If McCardell desires to be a head coach if you’re KOC you should be looking to move him up if he’s ready for a promotion like any good leader would. 

That's not always true, and especially not in football. Sometimes guys should just do what they are great at. Sometimes coaches can become more and have ideas that will put them in a position to take on more responsibility. But like LeBeau, Jim Johnson, Tom Moore - those guys were great coordinators that stayed in their lane. IDK enough about McCardell's aspirations or offensive philosophy or input on game day, but there's something to be said for letting people be great at what they are great at, instead of taking focus away to be ok or just good at the numerous responsibilities that come with promotions.

• Like 1