Year 2 of the KO'C Offense

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm hoping that Chandler takes a big leap forward this year and supplants Mattison as RB1. I think he offers more as a pass-catcher than Mattison. I'd be happy if McBride took that role too, if he can show he can be a receiving threat. I prefer a bell-cow back over a committee because it makes the offense a little less predictable, but as long as the RBs are more efficient than Dalvin was last year, I'll be pleased and think the offense will be even better in year two. 

Fun Fact: Chandler, Mattison and McBride are all listed at 5'11". Their respective weights are 204, 216, and 209.  Dalvin is 5'10" and 209, and Kene is 6'1' and 209.

I'm really bulliish on Chandler. He was really good for us in the preseason last year, but just unfortunately got hurt at the wrong time. I expect a really productive year from him this year as committee back. I think he could be a really dominant receiving back for us, at the very least. 

• Like 1

I have no expectations of Chandler.  I'm sure he'll be fine, but preseason performance is rather irrelevant and in the brief moments he played last year in the regular season, there was nothing overly impressive.  I'm just hoping for a better rushing attack from anyone, because it was like running into a brick wall last year and then on rare occasions, pulling a Kool-Aid Man.  

• Like 5

During a press conference on Wednesday, following organized team activities, RT Brian O’Neil elaborated on the various conversations that the offensive line has been having in their second year compared to their first.

O’Neil: "We’ve talked about it in the o-line room and how, based on specific schemes, the linebackers might fall back a little bit more or they might play frontside a little bit more based on different things that they see with their eyes. That’s what we’re talking about differently this year than we were last year. Last year, we were talking about ‘This is this play, this is who you have on this play. Now run it.’ Now, the next step is ‘Okay, what does the defense see? How is this different from the other scheme that we run that looks similar? And what’s the next level of understanding for us?’ I don’t know if that answers the question, but there’s a deeper understanding of the intricacies on our end."

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/04/minnesota-vikings-organized-team-activities-brian-oneill-kirk-cousins/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2shMCRgq-DIAjqRCUXAQuMewvFPvzi12aV7LPqvpyqGGzkXGgpc5Nq9J0

• Like 3

Quarterback
QB1: Kirk Cousins
QB2: Nick Mullens
QB3: Jaren Hall

Running Back
RB1: Dalvin Cook
RB2: Alexander Mattison
RB3: Ty Chandler
RB4: Kene Nwangwu
RB5: DeWayne McBride

Fullback
FB1: C.J. Ham

Wide Receiver
WR1: Justin Jefferson
WR2: Jordan Addison
WR3: K.J. Osborn
WR4: Jalen Nailor
WR5: Jalen Reagor
WR6: Trishton Jackson
WR7: Blake Proehl
WR8: Brandon Powell
WR9: Cephus Johnson
WR10: Malik Knowles
WR11: Thayer Thomas

Tight End
TE1: T.J. Hockenson
TE2: Josh Oliver
TE3: Johnny Mundt
TE4: Ben Ellefson
TE5: Nick Muse
TE6: Ben Sims

Left Tackle
LT1: Christian Darrisaw
LT2: Blake Brandel
LT3: Vederian Lowe

Left Guard
LG1: Ezra Cleveland
LG2: Alan Ali

Center
C1: Garrett Bradbury
C2: Austin Schlottmann
C3: Josh Sokol

Right Guard
RG1: Ed Ingram
RG2: Chris Reed
RG3: Jacky Chen

Right Tackle
RT1: Brian O’Neill
RT2: Oli Udoh

Commentary, Concern, and Scrutiny:

The offense has potential, folks.

Kevin O’Connell – a former NFL QB who specializes in offense – must feel like a kid in a candy store. He’ll be able to trot out a truly formidable group for 11 personnel given that the primary pass catchers will consist of Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, K.J. Osborn, and T.J. Hockenson. Good luck slowing down that foursome, especially since Alexander Mattison has surprisingly silky mitts.

Even more encouraging is that Minnesota won’t be constrained to just that personnel grouping. Retaining C.J. Ham and adding Josh Oliver means Minnesota will feature plenty of 21, 12, and 22 personnel. Essentially, the team can pivot away from a more pass-heavy look if teams are in a 2-high defensive structure. Adding the extra muscle can allow O’Connell to bludgeon the other team’s light box.

Perhaps the main area of concern is along the interior of the offensive line. As Josh Frey has noted on different occasions, injuries aplenty really depleted that interior in 2022. The team struggled without Garrett Bradbury and Austin Schlottmann. Have they done enough to fix up the iOL?

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/vikings-analysis/the-complete-vikings/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

Adam Thielen: "I think everyone's been a little bit wrong about K.J. I just think that he is a WR1 in this league and I think he has so much talent. I think his attitude, his effort, the way he approaches every single day. His mindset is one of the best I've ever been around."

vikings.com

• Like 2

Like anything in life, continuity usually leads to improvement.   This offense will be solid as long as the O-Line stays healthy.  The offense could rival the '98 unit for explosiveness.   Cook's as good as Robert Smith, Hock is better than Sass, both lines are solid . . . Gets down to Cousins playing fast and the WRs doing their thing.

This group is not 3-Deep . . . No one will be.   But, i do believe these guys can pose major challenges and put up 30+ TDs through the air.  

For this group to compare to’98, Addison is going to need to be HOF caliber, which is probably hoping for too much. I’m not sure the offensive line compares very well either.

The ‘23 offense could be a top 5 offense in the NFL next year, but ‘98 was a top 5 all time offense.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

For this group to compare to’98, Addison is going to need to be HOF caliber, which is probably hoping for too much. I’m not sure the offensive line compares very well either.

The ‘23 offense could be a top 5 offense in the NFL next year, but ‘98 was a top 5 all time offense.

Going to need them to score more than 30 points in the playoffs with this defense. Are they that much better than last years team who couldn’t? 

24 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Are they that much better than last years team who couldn’t? 

I would say absolutely, yes. 

The addition of a coach like Flores, who actually knows how to call and adjust a defense during the game is going to be a significant improvement by itself. 

• Like 6

I think they are better then last year for 2 main reasons

1. second year in the same offense with the majority of the same coaches and same playcaller, is a big deal.

2. continuity on the OL, and contiunity on the offense in general. They really only lost AT, and they made moves to improve his spot too.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Minnesota drafted Addison with lofty expectations, all but concluding Osborn’s WR2 dreams as a Viking. Even if Osborn fired up 1,100 yards and 12 touchdowns this season, would the Vikings sign him to a giant payday when they just drafted Addison with 1st-Round stock less than a year prior? Probably not. For Osborn to remain on the Vikings roster after 2023, Addison either has to struggle mightily or encounter a career-derailing injury.

And after Osborn signs a hefty contract with the highest bidder next March — boom — Minnesota will need a WR3. They’ll glance at the depth chart and see the name, Jalen Nailor.

The club will know by then if Nailor stood out as a sophomore in the league, and if he did he could fill the WR3 shoes left behind by Osborn — or Addison if Osborn leaves and the USC alumnus is promoted to WR2.

Nailor can reasonably eye WR4 responsibilities in 2023 and perhaps experience more passing-game targets if Jefferson, Addison, or Osborn miss games due to injury. But with Osborn not long for this purple world, Nailor is really just auditioning this season for WR3 in 2024.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/opinion/playing-the-long

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Minnesota drafted Addison with lofty expectations, all but concluding Osborn’s WR2 dreams as a Viking. Even if Osborn fired up 1,100 yards and 12 touchdowns this season, would the Vikings sign him to a giant payday when they just drafted Addison with 1st-Round stock less than a year prior? Probably not. For Osborn to remain on the Vikings roster after 2023, Addison either has to struggle mightily or encounter a career-derailing injury.

And after Osborn signs a hefty contract with the highest bidder next March — boom — Minnesota will need a WR3. They’ll glance at the depth chart and see the name, Jalen Nailor.

The club will know by then if Nailor stood out as a sophomore in the league, and if he did he could fill the WR3 shoes left behind by Osborn — or Addison if Osborn leaves and the USC alumnus is promoted to WR2.

Nailor can reasonably eye WR4 responsibilities in 2023 and perhaps experience more passing-game targets if Jefferson, Addison, or Osborn miss games due to injury. But with Osborn not long for this purple world, Nailor is really just auditioning this season for WR3 in 2024.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/opinion/playing-the-long

It's pretty great to see the team is thinking ahead and making succession plans that will provide cap flexibility. Still, I like Osborn a lot and would be ecstatic if we could find a way to keep him. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, wcblack34 said:

It's pretty great to see the team is thinking ahead and making succession plans that will provide cap flexibility. Still, I like Osborn a lot and would be ecstatic if we could find a way to keep him. 

I think this will be the best group of top 4 receivers we've had since 2009 (Rice, Berrian, Harvin, Lewis)

• Like 1