Year 2 of the KO'C Offense

vike daddy

On 7/8/2023 at 8:01 PM, SteelKing728 said:

I think this will be the best group of top 4 receivers we've had since 2009 (Rice, Berrian, Harvin, Lewis)

And that's not saying much, because if Addison turns out, they would be far better than that group.  Lewis was a one-catch wonder, Rice was a one-hit wonder, and Berrian was a wannabe wonder...only Harvin was anything after 2009. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And that's not saying much, because if Addison turns out, they would be far better than that group.  Lewis was a one-catch wonder, Rice was a one-hit wonder, and Berrian was a wannabe wonder...only Harvin was anything after 2009. 

Favre made that group, too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Favre made that group, too. 

I can't tell you how many times people told me I was wrong when I said that Favre made Rice.  Rice was underwhelming before Favre and was underwhelming after him (even taking the injuries into account).  Favre made Rice seem like he could be a competent deep guy when in reality, he really should have only ever been a possession receiver if he ever were to have been a long-term player.   

• Like 3

On 7/8/2023 at 6:01 PM, SteelKing728 said:

I think this will be the best group of top 4 receivers we've had since 2009 (Rice, Berrian, Harvin, Lewis)

Greg Lewis?

over two years he had 25 receptions for us on 48 targets. and that one td against SF. he's not even worth mentioning.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiGr01.htm#all_receiving_and_rushing

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I can't tell you how many times people told me I was wrong when I said that Favre made Rice.  Rice was underwhelming before Favre and was underwhelming after him (even taking the injuries into account).  Favre made Rice seem like he could be a competent deep guy when in reality, he really should have only ever been a possession receiver if he ever were to have been a long-term player.   

I also think that Rice needed a QB with the confidence in him to give him a chance to make plays. I remember seeing video of Favre telling Rice "they can't cover you" and saying the same thing to the coaches. I think Rice was a very good receiver who had the skills to be a multiple-time Pro-Bowler, but he needed a guy who would chuck it up there so all he had to do was think about making a play. He never had that before or after Favre. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Greg Lewis?

over two years he had 25 receptions for us on 48 targets. and that one td against SF. he's not even worth mentioning.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiGr01.htm#all_receiving_and_rushing

https://youtu.be/pgxSzxIxPrY

He'll always be worth mentioning for this moment alone. I remember exactly where I was when this happened. 2009 was the most fun I've had as a Vikings fan, and this started it off. 

• Like 1

My hopes for the 2023 KOC offense:

1 - Keep kirk & our passing game explosive while striving to reduce offensive turnovers - 17 combined turnovers by Kirk would ideally be around 10

2- Incorporate a combination of our powerful backs (Mattison & Mcbride) and speedsters (chandler & nwangwu) in the running game. Every back on the roster should contribute to our running attack

3- Be hot early in games & score points early so that Flores can dial up more aggressive blitzes to close out games

• Like 6

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

I get it, but that one year, we had depth which was nice.

I'd take the 2017 group over 2019 I think though. Maybe over 2009 too? Idk. I think had Bradford stayed healthy, or even if Teddy was healthy, that whole group (Thielen, Diggs, Wright, Treadwell) would have seriously benefited.

What's the chance that the Vikings have three 1000 yard receivers this year?

JJ is a lock imo

I have KJ, TJ and Addison all around the 800-1100 yard range next year. It would be unreal to see three guys eclipse 1000 though!

I also wonder what the chances are of having multiple double digit TD receivers also

2 hours ago, viking said:

What's the chance that the Vikings have three 1000 yard receivers this year?

JJ is a lock imo

I have KJ, TJ and Addison all around the 800-1100 yard range next year. It would be unreal to see three guys eclipse 1000 though!

I also wonder what the chances are of having multiple double digit TD receivers also

It could happen, as it has before...the last was the '08 Cardinals, but that would almost require that JJ doesn't get anywhere near 2000 yds.  All 3 would likely have to be in the 1000-1200 yd area, unless Kirk goes all Dan Fouts on the bit (the 1980 Chargers were the first to accomplish it and were the only one to include a TE in the trio). 

• Like 2

I think Hockenson is going to have a monster season. I don't see JJ getting 1800, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If KJ had been the uncontested #2, I think he'd be close to that 1K mark, but I think he and Addison each go for 700-800. 

The team has clearly indicated that they're going to be committed to the pass this season. I think Kirk is closer to 5000 yards than 4000. Just hope the TDs come along with it. 

• Like 2

I think the moves that they’ve made this offseason are pointing towards a shift in the offense. I expect to see an offense much closer to that of Shanahan’s in SF, than one that looks like McVay’s in LA. 

So, I would be shocked if they had three 1,000 yard receivers. I’ll be very surprised if anyone other than JJ eclipses 1,000 yards. 

• Like 1