Year 2 of the KO'C Offense

vike daddy

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

They are frankly all morons if they don’t want him back. Wouldn’t be too surprising if the analytics side of the organization wants to move on to justify not spending the money. 

I think the analytics of "you win more games with a top 10 QB" outweighs the analytics of paying such QB a lot of money.

Right?

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think the analytics of "you win more games with a top 10 QB" outweighs the analytics of paying such QB a lot of money.

Right?

But winning more games vs winning the only game that matters is what will be weighed. How does this team become a Super Bowl contender. Cousins is probably the most immediate answer. 

• Like 1

The decline of the offense this season has two clear causes: turnovers and injuries. Both were surprising developments as turnovers hadn’t been a big issue in the past- they had the fewest turnovers in the league in 2021 and were league average in 2022. And under Tyler Williams the Rams and Vikings have had among the fewest adjusted games lost (AGLs) for several years going back to 2015.

Apart from getting players back healthy, and somehow managing to take better care of the ball, there are areas for improvement from improving the running game to optimizing player usage better and improving red zone performance. But assuming the Vikings extend Kirk Cousins for next season, there are no big missing pieces for the Vikings to return to being at least a top ten offense again next season.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/1/1/24021738/vikings-off-season-evaluation-part-i-offensive-overview

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

They are frankly all morons if they don’t want him back. Wouldn’t be too surprising if the analytics side of the organization wants to move on to justify not spending the money. 

Frankly there’s no way KAM/KOC is going to let Kirk leave the building with their future contracts on the line too. This is there doing 

12 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Frankly there’s no way KAM/KOC is going to let Kirk leave the building with their future contracts on the line too. This is there doing 

🤣🤣🤣

Wait...aren't you the same person who said, on several occasions, the last GM would take a QB to buy him more time for his job? 

It's comical. 

So signing Kirk will save their jobs. But drafting a QB will no longer give them multiple years to see if said QB pans out? 

Don't get me wrong, I think there's merit to both approaches. But I would assume that KAM and KOC think that their best chances of getting another contract is building the best team possible. You're acting as if they feel their firing is imminent and they MUST act with tomorrow as their foremost concern. This season was an anomaly. I doubt the Wilfs put much blame on KOC for failing to win a Super Bowl with Nick Mullens, Josh Dobbs and Jaren Hall at the helm. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

what is their doing? that Kirko got hurt? that they released Sean Mannion instead of having him on hand as a backup? that a 3rd string 5th round rookie had the pro game move too fast for him and he couldn't produce well enough? that players got injured?

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what is their doing? that Kirko got hurt? that they released Sean Mannion instead of having him on hand as a backup? that a 3rd string 5th round rookie had the pro game move too fast for him and he couldn't produce well enough? that players got injured?

Of course it's their fault that they relied on a QB to stay healthy who hadn't missed a game due to injury since his 2nd season at Michigan St 14 years ago. 😉

Edited by swede700
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

They knew he was going to get injured so now they can get him on a discount

He's overrated because he could get hurt!

(And since I can guarantee someone won't get it, that's an old FF joke that's still used  in NFL General)

• Like 2

1 complaint I have with KOC's offense is his lack of patience with sticking with the run, which helped waste limited resources. 12 personnel even before Kirk's injury was being called less, and Ham rarely plays. Honestly, there was no point in resigning Ham or signing Oliver. I know KAM deserves blame as well but KOC wanted this style and didn't stick with it. I hope in year 3 KOC is more patient running the ball but also figures out which personnel is best for him as a play-caller. Honestly believe he's a 11 personnel guy and the team needs to be built for that style.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2024 at 9:26 AM, vike daddy said:

That they didn’t have a plan beyond Kirk, if they actually wanted to move off of Kirk at the end of this season, which might have been the case as they didn’t extend him last off season

3 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

1 complaint I have with KOC's offense is his lack of patience with sticking with the run, which helped waste limited resources. 12 personnel even before Kirk's injury was being called less, and Ham rarely plays. Honestly, there was no point in resigning Ham or signing Oliver. I know KAM deserves blame as well but KOC wanted this style and didn't stick with it. I hope in year 3 KOC is more patient running the ball but also figures out which personnel is best for him as a play-caller. Honestly believe he's a 11 personnel guy and the team needs to be built for that style.

I hope he’s not more patient and just airs it out with Cousins, Jefferson, Addison and Hock. Not that I don’t think we should abandon the run game, we simply don’t have a good OL for it. Would rather play more uptempo and mix in Chandler to keep defenses honest. Like how he ran to end the year. Ham became irrelevant the moment Oliver signed, he’s not going anywhere since he’s a local guy but you know if he wasn’t, he’d be out of a job.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I hope he’s not more patient and just airs it out with Cousins, Jefferson, Addison and Hock. Not that I don’t think we should abandon the run game, we simply don’t have a good OL for it. Would rather play more uptempo and mix in Chandler to keep defenses honest. Like how he ran to end the year. Ham became irrelevant the moment Oliver signed, he’s not going anywhere since he’s a local guy but you know if he wasn’t, he’d be out of a job.

I still think we need a strong run game usage, to help maximize the receiving game efficiency, as in coverage will need to be split and pass rush can’t just pin ears. Screen game to keep them off. Handing the ball off is the easiest thing to do, and further developing that is important

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

A one dimensional offense is a one dimensional offense and quite easy to defend even with great players. If Philadelphia's, KC's, Baltimore's, And San Fran's su cess over the last few seasons prove is that the runningvgame is still important!  We really don't know what kind of run blockers we have because O'Connell doesn't believe in the run game. He just doesn't have the patience for it. Which means he will only have limited success as a play caller.

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

A one dimensional offense is a one dimensional offense and quite easy to defend even with great players. If Philadelphia's, KC's, Baltimore's, And San Fran's su cess over the last few seasons prove is that the runningvgame is still important!  We really don't know what kind of run blockers we have because O'Connell doesn't believe in the run game. He just doesn't have the patience for it. Which means he will only have limited success as a play caller.

Not calling for a one dimensional offense, would just rather see the team running 3 WRs more often than not, and being able to run out of it. Of course we need a third WR worth playing over Oliver. Seems we were a better running team the year before Oliver when the offense was slightly different, but we also had Cook. We weren’t able to run the ball effectively with Cousins early on.

Edited by vikingsrule