Week 12 GDT: 49ers (1-10) vs Bears (3-8)

Sugashane

38 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Am I the only one that's really truly happy for Robbie and his big game against his former team? I loved seeing it, as much as it sucks watching a loss. For years he was pretty much my favorite player on the Bears, wildly consistent and sometimes the only good thing going for the Bears. For us to cut him loose (and it was necessary) and have him come back and beat us by hitting 100% of his field goals, it was a thing of beauty. 

Cutting Robbie wasn’t the problem IMO. It made sense at the time. He was making top kicker money while coming off a season where big misses by him cost us 2 games, and then he had a subpar preseason. Failing to take measures after doing so to get a viable replacement was the shortcoming. 

I’m incredibly happy for Robbie today. He was great for us for a long time, and is an all around good guy from all accounts. 

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If they don’t succeed it will be. No question. 

And rightfully so. This will be his make or break hire.

I think the guy deserves a bit more slack around these parts. He is still in the process of rebuilding the roster and that's never an easy quick fix. On that other hand you expect to at least see signs of progress from the coaching staff, which hasn't been the case under Fox's tenure.

Maybe I'm in the minority but overall I've bee  pretty pleased with Pace's work so far when you look at the big picture. He hasn't been perfect by any stretch, but no GM is. 

2 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

The only people who think Pace is on the hotseat are the ones who are mad that he didn’t load up big time at receiver. 

I think the whole season may have played out differently had Meredith stayed healthy. Not saying they’d be a contender, but that one viable player on the outside week in and week out would have made a world of difference, especially if we still make the move for Inman. Hindsight is 20/20 and ifs and buts, etc., but the difference it would have made in how teams have to defend us would have been notable. 

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

And rightfully so. This will be his make or break hire.

I think the guy deserves a bit more slack around these parts. He is still in the process of rebuilding the roster and that's never an easy quick fix. On that other hand you expect to at least see signs of progress from the coaching staff, which hasn't been the case under Fox's tenure.

Maybe I'm in the minority but overall I've bee  pretty pleased with Pace's work so far when you look at the big picture. He hasn't been perfect by any stretch, but no GM is. 

By and large I’ve been pleased. Every GM misses. But when the cupboards are as bare as they were when he got here those misses are far more difficult to overcome. 

Lets just forget the total dysfunction of qb development that has been, Shaheen has been playing well both as a blocker and a receiver and hes not on the field for a single pass play.  Tarik cohen is the most explosive player on offense hes been on the sidelines in favor of bennie cunningham in most passing situations.  This is the future and along with howard and trubisky the foundation of your offense moving forward.  Someone needs to explain to me what justification there is for playing replacement level players in a lost season.  Fox and company clearly dont care about the bears future and are content to try to keep everything close and say at the end of the year we were close in most of our games.  This is a development crisis and something really has to be done.  Also anyone else notice how much harder it is for Nicks without Floyd drawing all the attention of the opponent.

I'm impatient when it comes to the Bears, but I really should take a page out of my Cubs' fandom and allow Pace the time to rebuild this roster. He's not using FA to find long-term answers, he's using it to augment any roster deficiencies, which is fine. I think what he does then is if the player proves himself, he offers them an extension (see Akiem Hicks) He's using the draft to find the cornerstones of this franchise, and for the most part I can't complain.

Trubisky

Howard

Cohen

Shaheen

Whitehair

Goldman

Bullard

Floyd

Kwiatkoski

Amos

Jackson

We need to overhaul our WR corps (pray that Meredith can return to his former self, if not better), possibly upgrade RT (I feel like Massie has been decent this season) and address the CB position while upgrading depth at ILB.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple... there are some legit building blocks here, we just need (IMO) a young, up-and-coming innovative head coach to utilize these talents to the most of their abilities.

We can beat the Steelers, the Ravens and the Panthers, but lose to the 49ers?  I wouldn't be surprised if we lose to Cleveland.  Fox and Loggans should be fired now!  Absolutely pathetic outing today.  My parents cat could be a better OC.  Kyle Fuller was one of our best players today.  Nice strip for the INT.  Nice to see Inman get his first TD.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but after his TD, he wasnt targeted again.  He's our best WR, throw him the damn ball!  And get Shaheen more involved as well.  Maybe the new coaches we'll have next year actually know how to move an offense, score points and know a few things on defense.  I doubt Fangio is be back next year. 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I don't not want Pace to be fired.

But it is a fair conversation to have and something that needs to be discussed ago Halas Hall.

Poor coaching or not, this roster is getting exposed.

We can talk about Pace all day but we all know the likelihood that he gets the axe along with Fox is extremely low.

Let's focus on the major issue right now that is the coaching. 

If this team is still performing like this at this point next year then Pace absolutely should and will be on the hot seat. 

Personally I see a team that should have at least 2 more wins than it does right now. A better coaching staff certainly gets you those wins.

Archived