2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

1 hour ago, R T said:

With the new fair catch rule, it will change the game because it basically eliminates kicking to the 1-yard line and forcing teams to return the ball that didn't want to return the ball. The next move by the NFL will be to just remove the kickoff from the game if ST's coaches still find a way to force returns.  

Maybe somebody will try to make the Squib Kick a viable weapon now.

1 hour ago, R T said:

With the new fair catch rule, it will change the game because it basically eliminates kicking to the 1-yard line and forcing teams to return the ball that didn't want to return the ball...

Thanks for reminder.  Will be interesting to see how often teams do fair-catch it.  

Athletes and ST coaches are competitors.  Everybody wants to be a hero and break a big one. Even if the Packers only average returns to the 23.5, Nixon may still always figure that he wants to make the explosive play, and this one is going to be the one.  It may not be easy for an aggressive ST coach to say, "let's play it conservative, let's just fair-catch every one and gain the yard, even though it costs us the chance to break a big one."   

So I'm curious to see how extensive usage of the fair-catch will be.  

56 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Who is our new kicker?  I haven't been keeping track of the roster changes lately...

We drafted Anders Carlson. He’s got a huge leg but had a down year in his last year at Auburn supposedly from some injuries.

His brother Daniel was drafted in 2018 by the Vikings. They cut him when he missed 3 fg in an tie to GB. He then went to the Raiders where coach Bissacia got him straightened out and he’s been kicking great ever since. Part of the reason we grabbed Anders is because coach Rich likes him. 

41 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We drafted Anders Carlson. He’s got a huge leg but had a down year in his last year at Auburn supposedly from some injuries.

His brother Daniel was drafted in 2018 by the Vikings. They cut him when he missed 3 fg in an tie to GB. He then went to the Raiders where coach Bissacia got him straightened out and he’s been kicking great ever since. Part of the reason we grabbed Anders is because coach Rich likes him. 

Yeah he's known him since he was in high school, right?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think his down year has been largely attributed to him having to wear a brace on his plant leg after tearing his ACL the previous year.  I don't know for a fact, but I think he has since eliminated the brace .. I haven't heard mention of it this year.  Reports are that his leg strength and power was eye catching at OTA's and minimcamp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

Thanks for reminder.  Will be interesting to see how often teams do fair-catch it.  

Athletes and ST coaches are competitors.  Everybody wants to be a hero and break a big one. Even if the Packers only average returns to the 23.5, Nixon may still always figure that he wants to make the explosive play, and this one is going to be the one.  It may not be easy for an aggressive ST coach to say, "let's play it conservative, let's just fair-catch every one and gain the yard, even though it costs us the chance to break a big one."   

So I'm curious to see how extensive usage of the fair-catch will be.  

My guess would be that it comes down more to the kicking teams than the returning teams. If it's only a yard and a half difference on average it just makes so much more sense to boot the ball out of the back of the endzone. The best I can figure is there were 15 fumbles on kick returns last year. There were far more returns of 25+ yards. Statistically speaking it's far more likely to give up a big return than it is to get a turnover so IMO trying to play it cute makes little sense versus just blasting it out of play. I'd think most if not all teams will see it the same way. 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

How was he "supposedly" "down" from injuries?  He had ACL surgery in 2021.   Then broke his arm (balance arm) with 3 games to go in his final year.

I think he absolutely had a down year because of injuries and is absolutely a crap shoot to make it now, because of those injuries.

He's in a perfect spot for him.  Rich B.  But...just because we are young doesn't mean he can be erratic.  Dude needs to be consistent.

I'm not much for pre-season games, but that field goal unit needs about as many game reps as they can get.

38 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How was he "supposedly" "down" from injuries?  He had ACL surgery in 2021.   Then broke his arm (balance arm) with 3 games to go in his final year.

I think he absolutely had a down year because of injuries and is absolutely a crap shoot to make it now, because of those injuries.

He's in a perfect spot for him.  Rich B.  But...just because we are young doesn't mean he can be erratic.  Dude needs to be consistent.

I'm not much for pre-season games, but that field goal unit needs about as many game reps as they can get.

I didn’t know the extent of the injuries, but the supposedly was using it more by saying it was in the past tense and won’t affect his present. I am also skeptical until proven otherwise. I guess he’s booming them at practice, though. 

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

11 for 12 and boomed some 50 plus yarders.  No other kicker on the roster.  They aren't even bringing in competition.  He's pretty much a lock to be our kicker in 2023.  Had injuries but he's healthy and kicking well now by all accounts.  

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

11 for 12 and boomed some 50 plus yarders.  No other kicker on the roster.  They aren't even bringing in competition.  He's pretty much a lock to be our kicker in 2023.  Had injuries but he's healthy and kicking well now by all accounts.  

Right.

My issue was the word "supposedly" in relation to him struggling his last year in college.  ACL team.  No doubt he struggled because of that and then the broken arm to top it off.

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

My guess would be that it comes down more to the kicking teams than the returning teams. If it's only a yard and a half difference on average it just makes so much more sense to boot the ball out of the back of the endzone. The best I can figure is there were 15 fumbles on kick returns last year. There were far more returns of 25+ yards. Statistically speaking it's far more likely to give up a big return than it is to get a turnover so IMO trying to play it cute makes little sense versus just blasting it out of play. I'd think most if not all teams will see it the same way. 

NFL moved the touchback to the 25-yard-line in 2018.  I think over recent years, many ST coaches have NOT seen in that way, Rich B among them.  For 2022, average return was 22.8, starting at the 24.3, per link below.  Rich B was one of those who wanted that 0.7-yard average advantage, and predominantly had Crosby go for the 1-yard-line kick. 

An "average" obviously includes the long ones.  Nixon's long returns bump the average.  If 22.8 is average return, built up by the outlier explosive ones, then the median return is variably less than 22.8.  Perhaps a self-confident ST coach says "I'm such a good coach, my guys are NOT going to give up the big one.  We're going to keep them at or below the median; lets kick-to-the-one and tackle them inside the 21."   

https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/5/23/23734429/nfl-new-fair-catch-rule-disincentivizing-kickoff-returns-patriots

teams averaged only 22.8 yards per kickoff return in 2022 which, on average, led to teams starting their possessions at the 24.3-yard line

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

Who is our new kicker?  I haven't been keeping track of the roster changes lately...

Daniel Carlson’s little bro, the kicker who was secretly such a Packers fan he missed 2 overtime field goals against us and got waived by the Vikings the next day! For confirmation, Daniel is one of the most accurate kickers in the leagu.

• Like 1

All kicker jokes aside, this guy might be the most consequential rookie and if he can kick like his bro, might be a Packer for a very long time. Like his brother, he’ll probably have some ups and downs before he reaches his potential.