2023 Rookie Minicamp / OTAs / Training Camp

Leader

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

I'm going to the live scrimmage sessions with the Patriots.  Hopefully, weather permits.  First time I've gone to a scrimmage so if anyone has any information on what to expect in terms of crowd, seating, and getting in....let me know.

I’ve only gone during the week, and have never had a problem parking right in front of Nitchke Field. Usually I get seated about 1/2 hour before practice to make sure I get a decent seat. 10 min before, it really fills up but as long as you’re not a huge group, you’ll find a spot.

This year might have a little more buzz with the new QB but I doubt it’s much different. There are several “gates” to get in but you don’t always know what teams will be practicing on which part of the field. I always like watching Oline and defensive front so hope I get lucky there. There should be a 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 by the end of practice which is fun. I usually bring a coffee mug, a small bag with a water and usually a few Guinness (a fine breakfast beer) and one thing I really like, a printed 90 man roster by number. They usually have programs and other swag that has the roster but I like a nice one pager that I can reference if an unknown guy is making plays.

Afterwards, it’s worth sticking around for the “dream drive” if you’ve never seen it. Definitely the kids get the front row seats for that but you can hang out and I’ve always given some encouraging words to the players and coaches when they walk by. Some of the lesser knowns are surprised I know who they are without their jerseys on (last year I gave Walker a “What’s up Penn State!” and he got a kick out of that). The stadium tours or the Walk of Legends are nice and you’ll have plenty of time to do stuff like that after practice.  There will be food and drink at the stadium but for the quality and price, you’ll find much better a stone’s throw away. 

54 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Afterwards, it’s worth sticking around for the “dream drive” if you’ve never seen it. Definitely the kids get the front row seats for that but you can hang out and I’ve always given some encouraging words to the players and coaches when they walk by. Some of the lesser knowns are surprised I know who they are without their jerseys on (last year I gave Walker a “What’s up Penn State!” and he got a kick out of that). The stadium tours or the Walk of Legends are nice and you’ll have plenty of time to do stuff like that after practice.  There will be food and drink at the stadium but for the quality and price, you’ll find much better a stone’s throw away. 

You should get there early, get a front spot and flat out heckle these busts.

Get after Gary, Watson....etc.  Really give them the business.  Remind them that you own stock, so you are their boss.  

And when they are chasing you, remember to tell them that you are @MacReady .

And you'd better run fast because the ONE SINGULAR THING THAT WATSON CAN DO IS RUN FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE.  So I'd suggest making some sharp corners and having a quick change of shirts so you can get lost in a crowd easily.

I'd say you could throw the sweatshirt at Watson, but he'd drop it anyway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I never really bought the narrative that Gary was in danger of not being ready to play for Week 1, or at least being activated by then and maybe missing the opener. I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't come off the PUP list and that's even with our notoriously conservative medical staff making the decisions. 

I think the issue is whether or not you want his first game back from and ACL on the horrible Chicago turf.  I would hold him out until week 2 or 3 personally.  He’s right on that border (from a time perspective) for a typical recovery.

25 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

I think the issue is whether or not you want his first game back from and ACL on the horrible Chicago turf.  I would hold him out until week 2 or 3 personally.  He’s right on that border (from a time perspective) for a typical recovery.

The field should be in its best possible condition for week one. I know it’s our duty to clown the Bears but they play on real grass, definitely preferable to turf on the knees. I have no idea if RG will be ahead of schedule to play but I don’t think the decision will be based on the field, just how his knee is performing. 

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

The field should be in its best possible condition for week one. I know it’s our duty to clown the Bears but they play on real grass, definitely preferable to turf on the knees. I have no idea if RG will be ahead of schedule to play but I don’t think the decision will be based on the field, just how his knee is performing. 

Unless it's been hit with torrential rain like last year for their opener vs, the 49ers. Hopefully we get more ideal weather.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You should get there early, get a front spot and flat out heckle these busts.

Get after Gary, Watson....etc.  Really give them the business.  Remind them that you own stock, so you are their boss.  

And when they are chasing you, remember to tell them that you are @MacReady .

And you'd better run fast because the ONE SINGULAR THING THAT WATSON CAN DO IS RUN FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE.  So I'd suggest making some sharp corners and having a quick change of shirts so you can get lost in a crowd easily.

I'd say you could throw the sweatshirt at Watson, but he'd drop it anyway.

I’ve definitely never considered taking this plan of action, will report back on how it works out.

True story, I did see Watson on the Dream Drive last year.  I was pretty far away and he looked so babyfaced and dorky, not intimidating at all. Once I got closer I saw his legs and his build, he’s a football player. I definitely missed my chance to bully him and let him know to get some oxy clean and maybe some shaving cream for when he starts growing a mustache in a few years. 

Edited by Refugee

2 minutes ago, Striker said:

Unless it's been hit with torrential rain like last year for their opener vs, the 49ers. Hopefully we get more ideal weather.

That game came to mind when I wrote the post.  It was a complete slopfest.  That was not the game Lance was injured in, though. From my extremely amateur sports perspective, playing in heavy rain just slows everything down but doesn’t make injury more likely. Tough conditions for a young QB to play under. Definitely hope Love has a bluebird day to stake his ownership of the Bears. 

2 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Fair point. I think he gets activated for sure but I could envision his debut being Week 3 in Green Bay after the road games at Chicago and ATL. 

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

That game came to mind when I wrote the post.  It was a complete slopfest.  That was not the game Lance was injured in, though. From my extremely amateur sports perspective, playing in heavy rain just slows everything down but doesn’t make injury more likely. Tough conditions for a young QB to play under. Definitely hope Love has a bluebird day to stake his ownership of the Bears. 

I think in some aspects it is easier to get hurt, think slipping and getting overextended while being hit but it also very much slows things down. Still I don’t know how the Chicago parks district is so bad at turf management.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I think in some aspects it is easier to get hurt, think slipping and getting overextended while being hit but it also very much slows things down. Still I don’t know how the Chicago parks district is so bad at turf management.

They also have giant concerts on that field all summer long. I could see that as a pretty real issue for the grounds crew. Might be the last few seasons we play there so I will savor the legacy if not the garbage turf. 

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Bordering on first round bust territory.

Still hasn't come close to even 10 sacks in a season.

56 games played in.  22.5 sacks.

Dude's gonna want to sign that extension, quick, before GB realizes that he's going to be OLB2 to Van Ness very soon.  

Probably why he's trying so hard to come back from that injury. 

Bust.  Bum.  

:)

Nick Perry Jr