Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

I hope he's right.   I am not seeing it with Love at this point.  I'm still looking for the big play at the turning point of the game.  The plays winners make while those destined for less come up short.   So far, he comes up short at the key moment.

Love is just so inaccurate that even the big plays are less than optimal.   A lot of the passes that wind up completions are not in locations that allow the receivers to get decent RAC yardage.    They are making big time adjustments just to get a completion.   Couple this with his low completion percentage and it leaves a lot of plays on the table.

If he's on the move the accuracy declines much further as well.   When they get in the red zone and space gets limited it becomes tough to complete passes.

The Packers need to scrap the fade from the playbook, especially to Watson.  It is a low percentage play to begin with and Watson simply doesn't have the ball skills to win the contested catches.

Come on. Gutey put Love in worst possible situation for year 1 as a starter.

WR’s Rookies and 2nd year slump guys along with TE

Not a great running team and Avg OL. And then Rhythm killer play caller Matt Lafluer. 

But once all these guys starts to click and get  him a good LT, watch out…I see he has all the tools to be successful in this league and confidence is growing game over game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaire_Island said:

Not a great running team and Avg OL. And then Rhythm killer play caller Matt Lafluer. 

But once all these guys starts to click and get  him a good LT, watch out…I see he has all the tools to be successful in this league and confidence is growing game over game. 

Nothing new for Gutey .. he put Rodgers in a bad situation the previous year with rookie wideouts, and mediocre talent like Cobb and Hammy Watkins.  When your best receiver is Allen Lazard you've got problems.  Don't forget the great TE group featuring Robert Tonyan.  Rodgers is at least partly to blame with his massive contract, but that was bottom the league type talent last year.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MacReady said:

The interceptions really aren’t a big deal for me. Jared Goff and Alex Smith and Peyton Manning and Brett Favre and like 17 other GREAT quarterbacks led the league in interceptions their rookie year.

It’s the interceptions + completion percentage + YPA that worry me. His YOA has been ticking upwards lately, which is really promising.

I will stand by my assessment. If he’s under 6.5 YPA and 60%, I will believe he is a bust. If he’s over on one under on the other, he will have earned a second year as a starter. If he gets over both those hurdles, I’ll believe he could be the one.

I don't really understand the ypa measuring stick. Why is 6.5 the mark?

3 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

I hope you're right.  While what you say is true, I still think he has been too inaccurate to ever be really good.  His ball placement is well below average thus far.  It's causing his low completion rate thus far.  While the receivers have dropped too many, all teams have dropped passes.

37 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

I hope you're right.  While what you say is true, I still think he has been too inaccurate to ever be really good.  His ball placement is well below average thus far.  It's causing his low completion rate thus far.  While the receivers have dropped too many, all teams have dropped passes.

While true all teams drop passes ... Packers wr's seem to drop them at the worst possible time.  Many drops have been at crucial times in the game and that counts/hurts even more.  Some passes/drops are not equal.

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

While true all teams drop passes ... Packers wr's seem to drop them at the worst possible time.  Many drops have been at crucial times in the game and that counts/hurts even more.  Some passes/drops are not equal.

Is that real or does it just seem this way because we watch the Packers closer and care more about the outcome?

35 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Is that real or does it just seem this way because we watch the Packers closer and care more about the outcome?

We are in the top 6 or 7 in number of drops and in the top 6 in drop rate. We are either last or next to last in Contested Catch Rate. Its getting a little better though in the last several weeks.

It's just one of those things I'm mixed on what to think

So far the 2023 Packers are 3-6.  Four of those 6 losses have come by 4 points or less.  By comparison the 2008 Packers finished 6-10, and 7 of those 10 losses also came by 4 points or less.

Now side by side

Rodgers 2008:

63% completion rate, 4038 passing yards, 28 TDs, 13 Ints, and a 93.8 rating

Love so far in 2023

58.7% completion rate, 2009 passing yards, 14 TDs, 10 ints, and an 80.5 rating

Now we still got 8 games left and for the 17 games instead of 16 games reason alone, Love might still be able to reach the 28 TD mark and up his completion % a bit.  But you can be certain he's gonna probably hit 20-22 interceptions in Favre territory along with that, so don't expect his overall rating to get much better.

Biggest question is whether or not he and the team can make the jump next year just like our 2008 crew did in 2009.  If so, we got a winner.  If not, gonna have to blow this all up and start over.

34 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

To be honest ... I don't give a crap about other team's drops.  Our receivers drops them at the worst possible times; 3rd downs, 4th downs, td's.  When a team struggles to score like GB does, each drop makes it harder to score and they just haven't done that.

14 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

It's just one of those things I'm mixed on what to think

So far the 2023 Packers are 3-6.  Four of those 6 losses have come by 4 points or less.  By comparison the 2008 Packers finished 6-10, and 7 of those 10 losses also came by 4 points or less.

Now side by side

Rodgers 2008:

63% completion rate, 4038 passing yards, 28 TDs, 13 Ints, and a 93.8 rating

Love so far in 2023

58.7% completion rate, 2009 passing yards, 14 TDs, 10 ints, and an 80.5 rating

Now we still got 8 games left and for the 17 games instead of 16 games reason alone, Love might still be able to reach the 28 TD mark and up his completion % a bit.  But you can be certain he's gonna probably hit 20-22 interceptions in Favre territory along with that, so don't expect his overall rating to get much better.

Biggest question is whether or not he and the team can make the jump next year just like our 2008 crew did in 2009.  If so, we got a winner.  If not, gonna have to blow this all up and start over.

Love isn't Rodgers .. probably need to quit comparing these two for the time being.  It's kind of unfair to Love since Rodgers is an all time great.  We don't need Love to be Rodgers .. just need him to turn into a quality NFL starter and go from there. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

To be honest ... I don't give a crap about other team's drops.  Our receivers drops them at the worst possible times; 3rd downs, 4th downs, td's.  When a team struggles to score like GB does, each drop makes it harder to score and they just haven't done that.

To be honest I think some of the drops are due to poor ball placement by Love.    We all want Love to succeed and focus on the possible catches that aren't made.   We also need the receivers to succeed, and better QB play would make that easier to realize as well.   

I don't think either is helping the other right now.

I don't think the coaching staff has helped either group out with the decisions made along the OL either.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

That's where I'm at.  When you move on from an Aaron Rodgers, there is going to be a drop off.  A rebuilding year or two.  Throw in kids at skill positions and it's a work in progress, for sure.

I'm all about watching for growth this season.

And so far, I'm really, really happy with Musgrave, Reed and Wicks.  Kindda disappointed in Doubs.  Very disappointed in Watson.

But kids are gonna be kids.  It'll be something when they all "get it" around the same time.

And dang, I can't remember a GB drafted TE looking half as good as Musgrave!

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That's where I'm at.  When you move on from an Aaron Rodgers, there is going to be a drop off.  A rebuilding year or two.  Throw in kids at skill positions and it's a work in progress, for sure.

I'm all about watching for growth this season.

And so far, I'm really, really happy with Musgrave, Reed and Wicks.  Kindda disappointed in Doubs.  Very disappointed in Watson.

But kids are gonna be kids.  It'll be something when they all "get it" around the same time.

And dang, I can't remember a GB drafted TE looking half as good as Musgrave!

OTOH when Doubs has been called on, he's come through. He's made some  fantastic catches this year. The only real disappointment is Watson. His body reminds me of Kevin King, thin and fragile. Those kind of body types usually don't last long in the NFL. And his hands have no feel for the ball. At this point the receiver corps is Musgrave, Reed, Wicks, and Doubs, with Watson filling the MVS role of field stretcher. Next year this WR group will be awesome. Build the O-line and bring in a running back or two and this offense will be dangerous. The final piece is Love. The jury is still out on Love, but he's trending right. A solid O-line and another year of experience for the young receivers makes me optimistic that Love can be the guy.

• Like 1