Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

7 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

Love has shown some really nice things but if he can't connect on the deep ball it's going to be a long year. That miss to Watson yesterday was really bad. Excited to smack the Bears week 1. 

Yep, Gotta get it out in front of him.  That miss to Musgrave last week is another one you have to hit.  If he can't hit the long ball, teams will play up and make him throw it.  

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Warner is certainly someone whose opinion I respect, so it's pretty encouraging to hear what he has to say about Love's ability to recognize where to go with the ball.

What he has to say about Love's mechanics... not so encouraging, but I expect that is easier to get corrected than bad decision making.

Totally agree with Warner's breakdown.  He still has some work to do on footwork and long ball accuracy.  Both can be corrected as they are technique driven (he's got the arm strength for the long ball) and we have the right quarterback coach to drill him on it.  Key right now is he is very comfortable in his reads and progressions and is making good decisions on time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Totally agree with Warner's breakdown.  He still has some work to do on footwork and long ball accuracy.  Both can be corrected as they are technique driven (he's got the arm strength for the long ball) and we have the right quarterback coach to drill him on it.  Key right now is he is very comfortable in his reads and progressions and is making good decisions on time.

I’ve been impressed with his ability to throw it without having to completely square up with the field. When he’s rolled left he can keep his shoulders more or less perpendicular to the los and seems to get a throw off quickly without having to completely rotate his shoulders/hips into the throw. Maybe it’s just getting used to watching his mechanics and maybe a QB whisperer would say he’s doing it wrong but I was impressed with how quickly he can get it out from what seemed like a compromised position on the run. 

18 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’ve been impressed with his ability to throw it without having to completely square up with the field. When he’s rolled left he can keep his shoulders more or less perpendicular to the los and seems to get a throw off quickly without having to completely rotate his shoulders/hips into the throw. Maybe it’s just getting used to watching his mechanics and maybe a QB whisperer would say he’s doing it wrong but I was impressed with how quickly he can get it out from what seemed like a compromised position on the run. 

I can think of another quarterback with a talent for that—which generates that comparison that we must not make.

I have to admit that if JL had dropped a ball on Watson as pretty as the one McGough dropped on Bond my enthusiasm would be out of control like a dropped fire hose,

(From an upper window, I once saw a city worker turn on a hydrant to put a second coat of ice on a park rink. The hose took off in wild sweeping esses and he fell down several times trying to catch up with it. That’s how stoked I would be. Like the hose.)

4 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I can think of another quarterback with a talent for that—which generates that comparison that we must not make.

I have to admit that if JL had dropped a ball on Watson as pretty as the one McGough dropped on Bond my enthusiasm would be out of control like a dropped fire hose,

(From an upper window, I once saw a city worker turn on a hydrant to put a second coat of ice on a park rink. The hose took off in wild sweeping esses and he fell down several times trying to catch up with it. That’s how stoked I would be. Like the hose.)

But in this case, don’t try to reel the hose back in. Let it flow!

"That miss to Watson yesterday was really bad."

Yes, the ball was slightly underthrown and got hung up in a 15 mph wind. Watson still got 2 hands on the ball and needs to bring that ball in. That is what great WRs do. 

The pass wasn't so "bad" that it couldn't be caught. That one is on Watson. J-Love took the blame and I commend him for that. It was a drop. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 4:10 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

Jalen Hurts? I don’t think that’s a good comp at all

It isn't a bad comp, though, either.

I think the real comp for Love, mobility wise and how he plays (or should play), is simple.  It's Aaron Rodgers.

Run if it is there, extend a few plays, but always looking to throw first.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Yes, the ball was slightly underthrown and got hung up in a 15 mph wind. Watson still got 2 hands on the ball and needs to bring that ball in. That is what great WRs do. 

The pass wasn't so "bad" that it couldn't be caught. That one is on Watson. J-Love took the blame and I commend him for that. It was a drop. 

To me?  It was on both of them.  But moreso on Watson.  He needs to catch that ball.  Sure it would have been nice if Love had put it out there a couple yards farther, but it was an interesting wind that afternoon.  That ball needed to be caught.

18 hours ago, freefromwhatyouare said:

Slightly under thrown is an exaggeration. He had 5 steps on the DB and had to completely stop while two dbs barrel down on him and hit his arms. If that was Rodgers you would all of had an aneurysm. That was on Love nearly entirely. Watson could have possibly caught it but he did his job on the route. Having to stop entirely while two guys hit him and his arms made that catch anything but easy. 85% on Love 15% on Watson not being able to hold on. Good throw it's a walk in TD while Love had a wide open pocket. 

His long ball will improve and they'll connect many times this year. That was just a dud throw but not a huge deal. He'll start to dial that in.

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To me?  It was on both of them.  But moreso on Watson.  He needs to catch that ball.  Sure it would have been nice if Love had put it out there a couple yards farther, but it was an interesting wind that afternoon.  That ball needed to be caught.

You guys are deep in the Kool aid. Watson absolutely roasted his man and had to literally stop and turn back to the guys catching up. Let's be realistic with fair criticism.

25 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

You guys are deep in the Kool aid. Watson absolutely roasted his man and had to literally stop and turn back to the guys catching up. Let's be realistic with fair criticism.

Didn't the ball hit him in the hands?  I don't expect JAGS to make that catch, but as WR1, or even WR2, he's gotta catch that one.

• Like 2