Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not really. He's playing pretty much the same. The team around him has changed dramatically, however, from those few games where Love was unevaluatable

I mean, I think it's hard to deny that his ball placement has been dramatically better over the last 4-5 weeks. He's making more easy throws look "easy". All good things to see. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. With a year of on-field tape, we'll give him stuff to work on and he'll come back with massive improvements in certain areas. The sky is the limit for 10. 

No issue for me concerning speed.  He's plenty fast enough.  Fair points on his lower legs, though, those can get stronger and will relate into a lot more "good" things.

Velocity though?  I don't know.  Kid can gun them with the best of them.  He ain't Favre.  Very few are or will be.

What's scary is that he's on a roll right now.  And I gotta think that he's still not seeing or processing everything like he will with another 10 starts or so.  

Like you, I think there is still an awful lot of potential there.  And suddenly he has "weaponz".

• Like 1

It would also be interesting to see what this offense would look like with a RB that is a threat to break a big one. It won't happen this year as it seems Jones is just having a lost season, but I think the lack of a RB threat is still holding things back a bit. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, I think it's hard to deny that his ball placement has been dramatically better over the last 4-5 weeks. He's making more easy throws look "easy". All good things to see. 

is the ball placement better because:

(1) Love is throwing it better relative to the situation he's in

(2) The pass-catchers are hitting their spots better

(3) The OL is giving Love cleaner looks

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

is the ball placement better because:

(1) Love is throwing it better relative to the situation he's in

(2) The pass-catchers are hitting their spots better

(3) The OL is giving Love cleaner looks

I'd cross out No. 3, OL has actually been fine all season. I'd argue they had one bad game (Detroit at home). 

It's probably some mixture of the WRs developing while Love is likewise developing. Timing between them improving on both ends. Love's always been a confident player but I think his play is matching that confidence over these past few games. Everything about him has been more precise. Good to see.  

On 9/24/2023 at 3:02 PM, MacReady said:

The worse Love does this year the better the Packers will be in the long run.

If he's not the guy he's not the guy. And that's okay. The Packers are good enough to not take long to get to their next guy.

The worst thing that could happen would be for Love to play exceedingly well and get paid when his play is a reflection of the talent around him rather than his own talent.

Anyone not literally stupid can see how promising Reed, Doubs, Watson and Musgrave are. There's talent on this team, so games like this are great bargaining chips for the Packers if they believe Love is the guy, but he just needs time to get there.

Also...

I don't think he's the guy. I said it after week 1 and I'm still saying it. He just doesn't seem to have it. He's making a lot of great throws, but he's not making the easy throws. It's the easy throws an NFL quarterback has to make. There are three quarterbacks a year who flirt with their fans and convince them they're the guy based on those wow throws and great moments. Then when you look past the mustache and the awe inspiring plays, you see Gardner Minshew isn't THE GUY. He's a career backup.

If we give a career backup market setting QB money, we set ourselves back 5 years.

On 9/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, MacReady said:

Gutsy performance, but I still think Love is in the Bridgewater/Fitzpatrick/Minshew great backup option territory.

Ceiling is Joe Flacco.

I don’t think he’s it. He can win a Super Bowl, but not at market value.

On 9/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, MacReady said:

I don’t think he does. It’s fun to watch him since he’s poised and plays the offense, but it’s a really good offense. Really good scheme.

If he gets the next monster QB contract, it’ll be the end of the LaFleurr/Gute era because I don’t think he’s going to be that next level QB.

His completion percentage and YPA are both scary low. In both games.

He only looks good right now because our offense has looked pretty good.

Definitely capable of winning a Super Bowl depending on how much he’s paid, but…

On 9/28/2023 at 9:24 PM, MacReady said:

Trade LaFleur for the Bears first round pick.

Trade Love for another first round pick.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:49 PM, MacReady said:

It was borderline me being me the first two weeks, but last week and into this week it became clear Love is not the answer.

Quarterbacks with great futures don’t throw for under 200 yards with three picks and 0 touchdowns against really bad defenses.

David Carr (not Derek) didn’t have a three interception game as a rookie. Behind perhaps the worst supporting cast in NFL history.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, MacReady said:

I said it after week one and I’ve said it every week since.

Love doesn’t look all that great.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:21 PM, MacReady said:

I don’t know why I was the only one.

If Love was a rookie, you absolutely expect this type of performance over the first five games.

Dude’s had how many NFL training camps, practices, years of watching a top 10 all-time QB prepare and this is what he does?

Each and every week it becomes more clear he’s not the answer.

He’s a high end backup/journeyman QB.

Great option on a complete team, will NEVER win anything on a starting QB contract.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:14 PM, Howler said:

Love is a stopgap option until they draft his replacement.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:18 PM, MacReady said:

Correct. 

On 10/9/2023 at 10:55 PM, MacReady said:

Jordan Love is not our future.

On 10/22/2023 at 9:50 PM, MacReady said:

This is all going according to my plan FYI.

Get rid of Rodgers.

Let Love suck enough to not get a normal QB deal while developing our receivers.

Take high second round pick at QB while Love is in contract year.

Get a look at a second round QB on the roster with a new coaching staff and one year for Love to show if he has what it takes.

If the 2nd rounder is good and Love sucks, let Love get us a comp pick.

If the 2nd rounder is good and Love is great, trade Love for another first.

If both suck, take a QB in the first.

If Love is great and the second rounder sucks, trade Love for a high first round pick and get a QB for four virtually free years.

On 10/22/2023 at 7:25 PM, MacReady said:

I told you. It was that second game where it was just clear he’s not it.

I know I’m arrogant on here and not always serious, but I’m serious on this. I usually have an uncanny, not based on knowledge knack for knowing whether or not a QB is it. Almost never wrong there. Not based on skill or knowledge or anything but a hunch.

Love is a backup. A high tier backup.

On 10/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, MacReady said:

Jordan Love and AJ Dillon.

Almost any other decisions and Brady would have one less ring and Rodgers would have one more.

And now we have nothing good to show for those two consecutive blunders.

On 10/22/2023 at 5:20 PM, MacReady said:

I agree completely and I want to move on from Love. The great ones that struggle show flashes. Allen, Lawrence... Hell, Justin Fields flashed more than Love.

I'm just saying I'd be willing to give Love one more year.

On 10/22/2023 at 5:14 PM, MacReady said:

Lol. Nope. I change my mind. We should trade Love to whichever team hires LaFleur.

On 10/22/2023 at 5:13 PM, MacReady said:

LaFleur, Gute, Barry, Love all need to go.

I'm willing to give Love another year (a contract year, no extension beforehand), but with a new head coach.

None of this is even a hint of inspiring.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:51 AM, MacReady said:

I’ve acknowledged we need to give Love one more year. I know that, I never said otherwise. What I’m saying is he’s shown enough bad to NOT extend him. That would be a tremendous mistake. He needs to play on a dead contract year before we extend him.

His issues are NOT normal. Terrible long ball accuracy. THAT is something training camps and preseasons should be able to fix. Four of them haven’t fixed it. His first half performances are God-awful. He’s probably at closer to 50% and 5 YPA than his current 57% and 6.4 YPA overall. 

On 10/29/2023 at 4:10 PM, MacReady said:

5.58 yards per attempt and I don’t even know how many straight games with an interception.

This isn’t even a question anymore.

Love sucks.

On 10/29/2023 at 3:08 PM, MacReady said:

I told all of you, but nooooooooooo.

I hate being right when being right means we suck. Jordan Love is a career backup.

He will have one great season for some team and then get an absurd deal and he will look like this after his absurd deal.

If his absurd deal is with us, say goodbye to a Super Bowl for half a decade.

We need to trade him or use him to start while our real QB sits on the bench a full year.

On 11/5/2023 at 4:32 PM, MacReady said:

Lol. All this win did was move us out of the top five and cement us in the 6-10 range.

If Stafford played, this would have been closer to 27-13 and a loss.

Steelers are going to beat us, and our defense will not look this good against Herbert. Then we get the Lions in Detroit and we’ve been so good against them.

Then the Chiefs.

The Giants game we might win if Jordan Love isn’t playing. I mean Daniel Jones. Same difference.

On 11/5/2023 at 2:50 PM, MacReady said:

So Love once again has a first half under 5.6 YPA.

Theres a lot you can argue against with what I say, but what nobody can really argue with is Love and LaFleur cannot have another year together.

We’re not all-time bad at WR/Skill/OL/RB.

That’s all-time bad at the QB position for first half performance.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd cross out No. 3, OL has actually been fine all season. I'd argue they had one bad game (Detroit at home). 

It's probably some mixture of the WRs developing while Love is likewise developing. Timing between them improving on both ends. Love's always been a confident player but I think his play is matching that confidence over these past few games. Everything about him has been more precise. Good to see.  

I think the OL has struggled more than just that one game. And I think ALL of those things are factors. Love is throwing better, of course, and probably because he's more comfortable now (which is dependent on the other reasons).

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

^^ hard to be the only one who's right if you agree with the room. 

Classic hot takes guy. 100% think Mac would be great on TV

Mac, AG20, Incog, Beekay and Stat King.

I'd watch.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Purdy is the ultimate game manager. He wouldn't be succeeding anywhere else right now. He has 2 years of tape and it's significantly less impressive than Love's 12 games this year. 

Purdy is one lucky son of a gun.  I rather doubt he'd be the media darling he is today on any other team.  The guys on that roster would make Rick Mirer look legit.